Sign in to follow this  
mattyshigh

Seriously considering going VR?

Here’s my 2bobs worth. I have the Pimax 4k version which looks great with P3Dv4.1 native VR. Cockpit resolution is great, gauges are clear. Certainly not 4k clarity like seen on a flat screen but it’s good enough. 

Out the window is slightly less overwhelming. Looking down ground textures are slightly grainy but towards the horizon on a clear day autogen becomes harder to see. 

Flyinside has many features that native VR doesn’t have. (Yet) I use FI when in a PMDG aircraft and at a large 3rd party airport because FI boosts the FPS for smooth stutterless flying. However for some reason I loose resolution when using Flyinside.

Well worth the $399 USD

IM

7 hours ago, charlie130 said:

A company called Pimax are, developing an 8k VR set (*2 4k optics). I haven't got a link right now but there is an article on the VR thread and it's Google able.

Its also supposed to have a wide field of view. Could be one to watch.

I would think that the other manufactures will follow suit if 4k becomes the norm.

Its definition and field of view that would tempt me over. As for now, a 4k 42" screen is the choice.

Regards

David.

I've been watching this as well.  It is due to be released early next year.  Combined with the next generation of GPUs, it may be what makes VR a game changer for flight sim. 

I'm waiting for the next generstion of 'smart' VR glasses that detect where you're eyes are actually looking and only provide high resolution imagery in the direction of gaze. Everything outside that can be approximated at much lower rates and resolution. A well designed system could deliver a superior imagery without needing 16 GTX 1080tis in SLI mode to work. LOL

500px-Visual_Perception_Human_FOV.png

13900K@5.8GHz - ROG Strix Z790-E - 2X16Gb G.Skill Trident DDR5 6400 CL32 - MSI RTX 4090 Suprim X - WD SN850X 2 TB M.2 - XPG S70 Blade 2 TB M.2 - MSI A1000G PCIE5 1000 W 80+ Gold PSU - Liam Li 011 Dynamic Razer case - 58" Panasonic TC-58AX800U 4K - Pico 4 VR  HMD - WinWing HOTAS Orion2 MAX - ProFlight Pedals - TrackIR 5 - W11 Pro (Passmark:12574, CPU:63110-Single:4785, GPU:50688)

11 hours ago, odourboy said:

I'm waiting for the next generstion of 'smart' VR glasses that detect where you're eyes are actually looking and only provide high resolution imagery in the direction of gaze. Everything outside that can be approximated at much lower rates and resolution. A well designed system could deliver a superior imagery without needing 16 GTX 1080tis in SLI mode to work. LOL

It's already here! See: https://www.getfove.com

. Along with head tracking, it also has eye tracking so only needs to make the area you're looking at high resolution. They're aiming at making it compatible with Steam VR so it should work well with plenty of games. Definitely one to watch.

i7-6700k | Asus Maximus VIII Hero | 16GB RAM | MSI GTX 1080 Gaming X Plus | Samsung Evo 500GB & 1TB | WD Blue 2 x 1TB | EVGA Supernova G2 850W | AOC 2560x1440 monitor | Win 10 Pro 64-bit

That's what he was referring to. Except the next generation. The fove now is just a Dev kit with poorer field of view and no software support. Plus it's resolution doesn't really benefit from eye tracking. It isn't high enough resolution. As a Dev kit it shows the way though.

That technology combined with very high resolution is what we need. It's pretty much a waiting game for the tech to catch up with where we need it to be for effective simming.

To the OP, if you can afford £399 and feel it is you don't use the headset all the time then get the rift. It is a fantastic experience in sim or out. They are only available now as a full kit with hand controllers and two sensors for room scale games. You can just use it sat down though!

Alternatively let the Microsoft headsets develop. Apparently the Samsung one is higher resolution that most headsets and has built in rotational and positional tracking unlike the current pimax. Flyinside are currently developing support for them.

Chris

13 hours ago, Iceman2 said:

Here’s my 2bobs worth. I have the Pimax 4k version which looks great with P3Dv4.1 native VR. Cockpit resolution is great, gauges are clear. Certainly not 4k clarity like seen on a flat screen but it’s good enough. 

Out the window is slightly less overwhelming. Looking down ground textures are slightly grainy but towards the horizon on a clear day autogen becomes harder to see. 

Flyinside has many features that native VR doesn’t have. (Yet) I use FI when in a PMDG aircraft and at a large 3rd party airport because FI boosts the FPS for smooth stutterless flying. However for some reason I loose resolution when using Flyinside.

Well worth the $399 USD

IM

Interesting! The loss of resolution is perhaps the trade off for smooth flight.

My goal is a smooth simulation experience with sharp visuals. These two do appear at odds with each other  with the ESP engine, which P3d is still using (albeit with some modifications from LM). 

DCS is an interesting simulator. I see 100 fps and smooth flight in Nevada....but it is largely over desert!:huh: If a VR set comes out that enables me to read a HUD, I may be tempted to buy one for DCS?

Fingers crossed the future is good!

Regards.

14 hours ago, odourboy said:

So currently where you look is sharp but everything else is fuzzy?

| FAA ZMP |
| PPL ASEL |
| Windows 11 | MSI Z690 Tomahawk | 12700K 4.7GHz | MSI RTX 4080 | 32GB 5600 MHz DDR5 | 500GB Samsung 860 Evo SSD | 2x 2TB Samsung 970 Evo M.2 | EVGA 850W Gold | Corsair 5000X | HP G2 (VR) / LG 27" 1440p |

11 minutes ago, ryanbatcund said:

So currently where you look is sharp but everything else is fuzzy?

The pic shows what your eyes perceive at various angles off your direction of gaze. Outside +/- 60 degrees, color detail is lost, outside +/- 30 degrees, shape detail is lost, outside +/- 10 degrees, general detail is lost. So you can dispense with all the detail rendering as you increase the angle off your line of focus' and devote the majority of your GPU power to where you're looking. You'd still require the pixel density across your entire field of view, but you could basically offer increasingly limited detail and blur out everything you're not looking at directly. I expect with some clever software, you could get extremely high FPS and pixel density with today's GPU harware.

13900K@5.8GHz - ROG Strix Z790-E - 2X16Gb G.Skill Trident DDR5 6400 CL32 - MSI RTX 4090 Suprim X - WD SN850X 2 TB M.2 - XPG S70 Blade 2 TB M.2 - MSI A1000G PCIE5 1000 W 80+ Gold PSU - Liam Li 011 Dynamic Razer case - 58" Panasonic TC-58AX800U 4K - Pico 4 VR  HMD - WinWing HOTAS Orion2 MAX - ProFlight Pedals - TrackIR 5 - W11 Pro (Passmark:12574, CPU:63110-Single:4785, GPU:50688)

16 hours ago, Iceman2 said:

Well worth the $399 USD

IM

You can set a custom resolution for flyinside in the settings.ini

Marques

Ryzen 7 7700x@5.4Ghz | Arctic Liquid Freezer II 360| RTX 4070 ti | 32GB Ram @5600MHZ| Crucial MX 200 M.2 500GB |Crucial MX200 SATA 500GB | HTC Vive | XIAOMI 43" 4k TV | Acer Predator 27" G-Sync | AOC 32" Freesync

49 minutes ago, dmarques69 said:

You can set a custom resolution for flyinside in the settings.ini

I did that but didn't seen any improvement. (sadly)

Can anyone tell me where Flyinside sits between P3D native VR and Aerofly FS 2?

Sadly I can not get hold of the Oculus Rift here in deepest darkest Africa without spending a small fortune importing it, otherwise that would have probably been my first choice for flight sim. I have gone ahead and ordered the HTC Vive (very excited!) and it should arrive in a few days so I will let you know how it works out. Quite excited to also try out full room VR with some other titles.

Thanks to the advice of others here I have also ordered the Leap Motion development Kit but that will take weeks to arrive here!

Feeling pretty flush at the moment so it seems the best of both worlds is to have a 4K monitor and a VR headset. Really want this monitor but the price is eye watering: https://www.samsung.com/us/computing/monitors/gaming/49--chg90-qled-gaming-monitor-lc49hg90dmnxza/

3 hours ago, J van E said:

Can anyone tell me where Flyinside sits between P3D native VR and Aerofly FS 2?

Ooooookay, never mind! I noticed there was a demo of Flyinside. Gave it a try. My goodness. How can anyone enjoy that. It does NOT give me the idea at ALL that I am actually flying there...! It gives me the idea I am flying in a computer game that looks like it's from the nineties! Yikes! All those textures are larger than life and look totally low res! What may look pretty real on a 2D monitor looks like **** in VR! The lighting is also awful, dull, boring with various settings turned off. Things are shimmering all the time all over the place. Artifacts spoil the immersion even more. Aerofly is a LOT better, that's for sure, but even Aerofly is too low res for my taste so no way that I can ever enjoy this. I am actually amazed some people LIKE this...!!! And yes, I did try high resolutions.

Uninstalled. But of course YMMV. I'm done with VR in P3D for now. And for a long time.

EDIT

Oh my! Trying VR in P3D had one BIG advantage!!! I just gave VR in Aerofly FS 2 another try because I was doubting myself: I couldn't imagine that at one time I actually kinda liked VR in Aerofly FS 2. Turns out that compared to P3D VR Aerofly FS 2 looks HIGH RES!!! So much better! What everyone has been saying is true: Aerofly FS 2 is the way to go for VR! The lighting is also sooooo much better! Not dull and so on but the sun shines! Things don't look that pixelated at all anymore after giving P3D a try in VR. And performance... seriously, performance is insanely better in AFS2!

So well, that's ONE advantage of using Flysinside: it made me appreciate Aerofly FS 2 again LOL

BTW
Totally off topic but what I also notice specially with VR is how nice it is that the light reflections/highlights, like on the yoke or the panel's edge, are actually rendered real time in Aerofly FS 2, so you see the light change when you move/look around: in P3D this is all fixed and painted into the model...! Makes a surprising world of difference when it comes to immersion!!!

38 minutes ago, J van E said:

Ooooookay, never mind! I noticed there was a demo of Flyinside. Gave it a try. My goodness. How can anyone enjoy that. It does NOT give me the idea at ALL that I am actually flying there...! It gives me the idea I am flying in a computer game that looks like it's from the nineties! Yikes! All those textures are larger than life and look totally low res! What may look pretty real on a 2D monitor looks like **** in VR! The lighting is also awful, dull, boring with various settings turned off. Things are shimmering all the time all over the place. Artifacts spoil the immersion even more. Aerofly is a LOT better, that's for sure, but even Aerofly is too low res for my taste so no way that I can ever enjoy this. I am actually amazed some people LIKE this...!!! And yes, I did try high resolutions.

Uninstalled. But of course YMMV. I'm done with VR in P3D for now. And for a long time.

EDIT

Oh my! Trying VR in P3D had one BIG advantage!!! I just gave VR in Aerofly FS 2 another try because I was doubting myself: I couldn't imagine that at one time I actually kinda liked VR in Aerofly FS 2. Turns out that compared to P3D VR Aerofly FS 2 looks HIGH RES!!! So much better! What everyone has been saying is true: Aerofly FS 2 is the way to go for VR! The lighting is also sooooo much better! Not dull and so on but the sun shines! Things don't look that pixelated at all anymore after giving P3D a try in VR. And performance... seriously, performance is insanely better in AFS2!

So well, that's ONE advantage of using Flysinside: it made me appreciate Aerofly FS 2 again LOL

BTW
Totally off topic but what I also notice specially with VR is how nice it is that the light reflections, like on the yoke or the panel's edge, are actually rendered real time in Aerofly FS 2, so you see the light change when you move around: in P3D this is all fixed and painted into the model. Makes a surprising world of difference when it comes to immersion!!!

Just be patient. One day we will all be flying in 4k VR in P3D and complain about not feeling any G-forces while simming.

Microsoft Flight Simulator | PMDG 737 for MSFS | Fenix A320 | www.united-virtual.com | www.virtual-aal.com | Ryzen 9 7950X3D | Kingston Fury Renegade 32 GB | RTX 3090 MSI Suprim X | Windows 11 Pro | HP Reverb G2 VR HMD

17 minutes ago, threegreen said:

Just be patient. One day we will all be flying in 4k VR in P3D and complain about not feeling any G-forces while simming.

LOL Yes, I am sure that day will come. :happy: Even including G-forces.