Sign in to follow this  
mattyshigh

Seriously considering going VR?

8 hours ago, denali said:

And the colors, brightness, and black level is not going to compare in the Pimax.

In the sense that it's better or worse in Pimax, compared to monitor?

"The problem with quotes on the Internet is that it is hard to verify their authenticity." [Abraham Lincoln]

2 hours ago, Murmur said:

Worse.

Microsoft Flight Simulator | PMDG 737 for MSFS | Fenix A320 | www.united-virtual.com | www.virtual-aal.com | Ryzen 9 7950X3D | Kingston Fury Renegade 32 GB | RTX 3090 MSI Suprim X | Windows 11 Pro | HP Reverb G2 VR HMD

4 hours ago, Murmur said:

Edit: Much of what I typed got eaten by the editior or my error.  Not going to retype this moment.  Here is what was left ......

This is actually their strength, they do in fact have connections with the manufacturers in China In The Same City The Iphone Is Made to do whatever they need to do very quickly.  But they are trying to keep prices down, not cheapen the product.  Eventually they are going to have 4k OLED screens at a true 4k each, but there are no systems that can really run that configuration at this time.  They are offering a 5k OLED, 2 x 2.5 screens, for those that want it, for a very reasonable price.  I have a Pimax BE model, which is identical to the 4k model, but with a 2.5 OLED screen.   It is brighter and more responsive than the 4k model.  Reviewers have said that the screen in the 8k model is now comparable to a vive or rift in color and brightness quality.  However none of them will compare to a nice 4k monitor in quality;  they are trying to span the entire field of vision with 2 4k screens, not just 1 on a much smaller FOV where the number of pixels per arc degree will be much higher.  For example,  I cannot even see pixels on a 1080 screen at 2 feet.   You will still be able to see if you really chose to see a pixel on a 4k screen at .5 inches magnified on 1 eye, but many say they don't.  And the 4k screens in the size used in a Pimax are not as well developed in color quality yet as a full size monitor or TV, and does not have HDR (neither does P3D). 

I wonder if it would be a good idea, if the would be willing to send Rob a model to review once they get them shipping.

I love mine, and I wonder how anyone can really gripe about the resolution, unless they are not very old at all and never had less than maybe 1024x768.

I remember when that was the greatest resolution, so real, life like and amazing.

And in the scheme of things it was not very long ago. 

The VR resolution is not what we see on our monitors right now, but technology improves very quickly these days, so it will not be long before it is, or even surpasses it.

I, for one, appreciate the ability to enjoy VR, and now that even though I love it, and am 100% satisfied, that it will only get better.

And I have no idea why one poster cannot see the runway while landing, maybe because he is trying to look over the nose?

The Cessna 150 is the only plane I think I ever flew in where I could watch the runway in front of me while just above the runway.

The runway ahead is invisible while landing many planes and you use your peripheral vision and the view of the runway to the side.

I can see it just as I would in real life.

\

I suspect that some of the "Poor resolution" nay Sayers, but not all, are entitled youngsters who have to have the very best yesterday, or not at all, because they have not learned to appreciate things as they are, and for what they will become.

Aaron Tirrell

22 hours ago, caaront said:

And I have no idea why one poster cannot see the runway while landing, maybe because he is trying to look over the nose?

I said already what I meant was that it's there (in the distance) but pixelated and kinda hard to exactly align with it until I come closer.

22 hours ago, caaront said:

I suspect that some of the "Poor resolution" nay Sayers, but not all, are entitled youngsters who have to have the very best yesterday, or not at all, because they have not learned to appreciate things as they are, and for what they will become.

OP asked people to share their experiences about the matter and they did. Some like it as it is at this point, others don't, mainly because of the poor resolution. I'm the latter and I'll wait until resolution is available in at least HD. That's got nothing to do with nay-saying or being too young/too impatient.

• Upvote 1

Microsoft Flight Simulator | PMDG 737 for MSFS | Fenix A320 | www.united-virtual.com | www.virtual-aal.com | Ryzen 9 7950X3D | Kingston Fury Renegade 32 GB | RTX 3090 MSI Suprim X | Windows 11 Pro | HP Reverb G2 VR HMD

17 hours ago, caaront said:

I did not say all, I stated very plainly, not all, thank you for your reply.

You said 'some of the "Poor resolution" nay Sayers' are youngsters, which means there are nay-Sayers who aren't youngsters but still nay-Sayers when they and me just don't like the resolution.

... I know I'm picky ;)

• Upvote 1

On 11/3/2017 at 3:54 PM, threegreen said:

What we need are VR glasses that make you see exactly what's on your 4k screen (obviously).

I can judge distances accurately in VR for aligning with the runway for downwind legs.  I can turn my head to see when I should turn.  Although it's not 4k in the FOV in the Pimax 4k, by turning my head It is effectively a great many times 4k if I divide the arc my head can turn to with the arc of the FOV, and multiply, both vertically and horizontally.

If you have head tracking in prepar3d with the 4k tv you may get the same sense.  And the colors, brightness, and black level is not going to compare in the Pimax.  For sure.  I have 5760 x 1080, I know how nice a wide view can be.  And I have solved the stretching in the peripherie.  But I have a hard time going back to it now.

I've flown a bit with my brothers oculus, it was very interesting but I'm not sold on it over a big 4k display. It's not there yet for the set up i have but definitely an experience

I've tried the Occulus dv1 and cv1 and for me settled on the pimax and love the higher resolution and would consider

it the bare minimum imo .

Ideally trying the  rift . pimax . htc etc before you buy is the thing to do as we all have different criteria

as to what's a bare minimum of acceptability in VR .  

Exciting things are around the corner though but the question is can PC hardware run this stuff in flight sim

to an acceptable standard at the moment

Pimax is the way to go IMHO the higher resolution makes all the difference.

Native P3Dv4 is actually pretty good in stock scenery with a few texture mods like REX HD airports and FTX global that don’t effect FPS.

I found I can fly PMDG aircraft around in native VR without stuttering at well designed ports like FB scenery, Turbulent and Aerosoft EDDF that are made for P3Dv4. 

Other not so FPS friendly ports I have to use Flyinside which drops the resolution. It’s like going to 720p, I will then get a smooth stutter free experience albeit at the lower resolution.

The lower resolution spoils it for me using Flyinside (real killjoy) and I’m finding I’m using it less and less and flying more into stock airports in Native VR.

Native VR allows HDR lighting unlike Flyinside and I’ve used PTA to adjust and tweak the brightness  to where I think it’s as good as can be in Native.

My current buzz at the moment is fly’n the PMDG DC6 in Native VR. This machine is simply mind blowing in VR and PMDG have nailed the 3D modelling. The 777/747 are good too but the 6 is breathtaking because of its vintage style and nature.  The NG has less of a wow factor and I put this down to being an older 3D model design. The image quality through the Pimax in cockpit is as good as my flat screen however out the window on the horizon scenery becomes a little blurry. Whack some hazey weather in there and I don’t notice the blur anymore.

The Pimax 4k experience is very very good and I’m finding 90% of my flying is in VR rather than the 65in 4K TV.

I will obviously get the 8K Pimax version when it releases but the BIG question will be what hardware will we need to enjoy it.

“Resolution” is the word of the day when talking VR.

IM

20 hours ago, Iceman2 said:

Pimax is the way to go IMHO the higher resolution makes all the difference.

Native P3Dv4 is actually pretty good in stock scenery with a few texture mods like REX HD airports and FTX global that don’t effect FPS.

I found I can fly PMDG aircraft around in native VR without stuttering at well designed ports like FB scenery, Turbulent and Aerosoft EDDF that are made for P3Dv4. 

Other not so FPS friendly ports I have to use Flyinside which drops the resolution. It’s like going to 720p, I will then get a smooth stutter free experience albeit at the lower resolution.

The lower resolution spoils it for me using Flyinside (real killjoy) and I’m finding I’m using it less and less and flying more into stock airports in Native VR.

Native VR allows HDR lighting unlike Flyinside and I’ve used PTA to adjust and tweak the brightness  to where I think it’s as good as can be in Native.

My current buzz at the moment is fly’n the PMDG DC6 in Native VR. This machine is simply mind blowing in VR and PMDG have nailed the 3D modelling. The 777/747 are good too but the 6 is breathtaking because of its vintage style and nature.  The NG has less of a wow factor and I put this down to being an older 3D model design. The image quality through the Pimax in cockpit is as good as my flat screen however out the window on the horizon scenery becomes a little blurry. Whack some hazey weather in there and I don’t notice the blur anymore.

The Pimax 4k experience is very very good and I’m finding 90% of my flying is in VR rather than the 65in 4K TV.

I will obviously get the 8K Pimax version when it releases but the BIG question will be what hardware will we need to enjoy it.

“Resolution” is the word of the day when talking VR.

IM

I Think we will struggle to run 8K with P3D with current hardware as 4K is pushing the limit at the moment. 

8K might be ahead of it's time......

52 minutes ago, nigel day said:

I Think we will struggle to run 8K with P3D with current hardware as 4K is pushing the limit at the moment. 

8K might be ahead of it's time......

The Pimax 8K doesn't render at 8k... or even 2 x 4k. It renders at  2*2560×1440 and then upscales it to 2x4K.

Therefore if you already have a vive, rift or Pimax 4k and are supersampling at 4K the performance should be similar on the Pimax 8K

Later they are releasing the Pimax 8K "x" which will do true 2 x 4K but this will require two cables as a single HDMI cannot do 2 x 4K. 

https://skarredghost.com/2017/09/22/all-need-know-pimax-8k-buy/

2 hours ago, flibberflops said:

The Pimax 8K doesn't render at 8k... or even 2 x 4k. It renders at  2*2560×1440 and then upscales it to 2x4K.

Therefore if you already have a vive, rift or Pimax 4k and are supersampling at 4K the performance should be similar on the Pimax 8K

Later they are releasing the Pimax 8K "x" which will do true 2 x 4K but this will require two cables as a single HDMI cannot do 2 x 4K. 

https://skarredghost.com/2017/09/22/all-need-know-pimax-8k-buy/

" Therefore if you already have a vive, rift or Pimax 4k and are supersampling at 4K the performance should be similar on the Pimax 8K "

So a vive or rift sampling at 4k will perform similar to an 8k ?        I am surprised and if true I guess its going to be a hardware limitation

in practice