Sign in to follow this  
mattyshigh

Seriously considering going VR?

2 hours ago, threegreen said:

Does flyinside support this one?

How good exactly is the resolution?

Yes, FlyInside does work with it.  Pimax drivers emulate the Vive drivers, and so you get the Vive version.  As it is you must have FlyInside for a smooth experience.  What they do for P3D can't be left out.   I can get a very good resolution, pretty clear guages, OK distance if I up the LOD.  But I bring it down a bit because of my aged system.  If your hardware is 2 years or newer you should be OK.  It doesn't send a 4k signal to the headset.  The 4k is really to eliminate screen door effect.  The actual resolution is IIRC  2560×1440, and then upscaled (no jaggies).  

I am considering taking the plung and getting into the Kickstarter tonight on the 8k.  They will start shipping in January.

10 hours ago, denali said:

This video is bad for many reasons. First of all there is no introduction of what the video is trying to achieve, and by judging by the comments on youtube, there is reason to belive the video is skewed. I own a HTC Vive and I can tell you my actually view inside the headset looks nothing like this.

• Upvote 1

Andreas Stangenes

http://www.youtube.com/user/krsans78
Add me on gamertag: Bullhorns78

3 hours ago, Andreas Stangenes said:

This video is bad for many reasons. First of all there is no introduction of what the video is trying to achieve, and by judging by the comments on youtube, there is reason to belive the video is skewed. I own a HTC Vive and I can tell you my actually view inside the headset looks nothing like this.

Actually the video looks about right to me, given the image has been expanded 8x to give a closer look at the individual pixels. It's true you won't see anything like that in normal use, but again, this is a blowup so people can clearly see the "screen door effect"

You'll notice the following picture pretty much shows the same.

Of course, if you push back from your monitor until the characters are about an inch high, the differences seem a lot less, and you get a better idea what is actually seen in the headset.....

3f2fbac8b111cd082d91ce476c3d01925001ab28

We are all connected..... To each other, biologically...... To the Earth, chemically...... To the rest of the Universe atomically.

Devons rig
Intel Core i5 13600K @ 5.1GHz / G.SKILL Trident Z5 RGB Series Ram 32GB / GIGABYTE GeForce RTX 4070 Ti GAMING OC 12G Graphics Card / Sound Blaster Z / Meta Quest 2 VR Headset / Klipsch® Promedia 2.1 Computer Speakers / ASUS ROG SWIFT PG279Q ‑ 27" IPS LED Monitor ‑ QHD / 1x Samsung SSD 850 EVO 500GB / 2x Samsung SSD 860 EVO 1TB /  1x Samsung - 970 EVO Plus 2TB NVMe /  1x Samsung 980 NVMe 1TB / 2 other regular hd's with up to 10 terabyte capacity / Windows 11 Pro 64-bit / Gigabyte Z790 Aorus Elite AX Motherboard LGA 1700 DDR5

Denali mentioned the resolution out from his video card:

" It doesn't send a 4k signal to the headset.  The 4k is really to eliminate screen door effect.  The actual resolution is IIRC  2560×1440, and then upscaled (no jaggies).  "

This is true for the Pimax 8K - but there is an 8K X (more money?) that will take a full 4K (3840 x 2160 - need HDMI 2.0b ) and on top of that, you can still run some Super Sampling.

Things are getting very interesting!

Dave W.

PC=9700K@5Ghz+RTX2070  VR=HP Reverb|   Software = Windows 10 | Flight SIms = P3D, CAP2, DCS World, IL-2,  Aerofly FS2

The 8k version will output to 1440 per eye, which is 2.5k, but upscale to 4k.

While the Pimax 8k does sound like a huge leap forward it also shows that VR is still at this very early stage. I spent so much time fine tuning my PTA preset and HDR to make my sim look stunning along with all the high res scenery on my 4k TV and to have all that taken away when in VR it doesn't seem so intriguing anymore, whatever the immersion.

What we need are VR glasses that make you see exactly what's on your 4k screen (obviously).

Microsoft Flight Simulator | PMDG 737 for MSFS | Fenix A320 | www.united-virtual.com | www.virtual-aal.com | Ryzen 9 7950X3D | Kingston Fury Renegade 32 GB | RTX 3090 MSI Suprim X | Windows 11 Pro | HP Reverb G2 VR HMD

These guys are more gamers than technicians.  So they haven't been following Pimax.  Their dates are off as they understand; Pimax 8k will start delivering in January, and they are Already over $4,000,000 in Kickstarter, blowing away Oculus Kickstarter.   Pimax needs to make about 5,000 8k headsets in order to meet January delivery, but they already have experience in production and distribution with their 8k version.  To think that Pimax is an offshoot is word not allowed (rhymes with pignorant).  Pimax is headquartered in Shenzen China, which is China's Silicon Valley, where you go to make electronics, and nobody works better with the Chinese than the Chinese, and they already have many partners in this.   Also, China has actually declared VR as an important part of their Governments plan for the technology sector (with a rumor of 3 billion investing in a new city based on VR technology, I haven't confirmed).   Like I said, they're just gamers. 

• Upvote 1

As I have said.  I've had a Pimax 4k since March.  I am an experienced developer with decades experience, and their developers are very fast and responsive to their early adopters (#1 thing to look for in a software company).  They are opening up to as many add-ons as possible for future proofing.  I've been right about other things here, and I've been paid to pick out companies in the past for investors.  And their declared intention is to pease the flight simulator community first.   I have been looking for a solid sprout VR company for a LONG time.  This is it.

Ok we get it Denali you like Pimax headsets. Stop spamming.

Anyways, I just ordered an Oculus Rift, am looking very forward to it. I have tried it before and don't mind the resolution. It's supported by flight sims and games I have and is reported to work great. It'll do me very well til the next Rift and then I'll decide on which next gen VR to get. I've got a good Summer (southern hemisphere) ahead.

3 minutes ago, Asheroo said:

Ok we get it Denali you like Pimax headsets. Stop spamming.

Excuse me, But I'm not known to spam here.  I am giving as much information to this forum about it as I can, so you can make an informed decision.  With another username (which I didn't return to after a hiatus, and forgot I even had an account under another [prestigious] email) I have been a member here since it's beginnings, so I am a very familiar with how things are done here.  It's sad to me you are asking about VR experience and the person here with perhaps the most experience following VR technology and in Prepar3d is giving advice and you're blowing it off as spam instead of asking questions.  

Since you're a beginner in VR, the Oculus is a good choice for the price now. You may not be able to use it optimally (read the gauges, see the airport in the distance) for Prepar3d, but you will learn much with it about VR and have a satisfactory experience in many other games.

6 hours ago, threegreen said:

What we need are VR glasses that make you see exactly what's on your 4k screen (obviously).

I can judge distances accurately in VR for aligning with the runway for downwind legs.  I can turn my head to see when I should turn.  Although it's not 4k in the FOV in the Pimax 4k, by turning my head It is effectively a great many times 4k if I divide the arc my head can turn to with the arc of the FOV, and multiply, both vertically and horizontally.

If you have head tracking in prepar3d with the 4k tv you may get the same sense.  And the colors, brightness, and black level is not going to compare in the Pimax.  For sure.  I have 5760 x 1080, I know how nice a wide view can be.  And I have solved the stretching in the peripherie.  But I have a hard time going back to it now.