Sign in to follow this  
tttocs

Fltplan Go GPS app trouble

I've been slowly working through getting my new sim computer set up in P3D v4.  Interesting task for someone who's run a very stable FSX setup for years, but I'm slowly working through all of the issues and have got most of my add-ons, controllers and utilities working smoothly.  One bit of trouble I'm having, though, is with the FltPlan Go GPS app.  The new system is Windows 10, and the app simply refuses to launch.  Literally nothing happens.  I've tried it in Win7 compatibility mode, made sure there are no issues with Windows Firewall, etc. and I can't get the silly thing to run.  At all.

I know others are using this on Windows 10, but I'm pretty much out of ideas.  Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Scott

15 minutes ago, tttocs said:

I've been slowly working through getting my new sim computer set up in P3D v4.  Interesting task for someone who's run a very stable FSX setup for years, but I'm slowly working through all of the issues and have got most of my add-ons, controllers and utilities working smoothly.  One bit of trouble I'm having, though, is with the FltPlan Go GPS app.  The new system is Windows 10, and the app simply refuses to launch.  Literally nothing happens.  I've tried it in Win7 compatibility mode, made sure there are no issues with Windows Firewall, etc. and I can't get the silly thing to run.  At all.

I know others are using this on Windows 10, but I'm pretty much out of ideas.  Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Scott

imageproxy.png.c7210bb70e999d98cfd3e77d7

6 minutes ago, scottb613 said:

I know they upgraded the client - this is the one I'm using on WIN10 and it seems to work fine - give it a try ?

Thanks Scott.  DL'ed your version, uninstalled and reinstalled with the new one.  Given that yours was exactly the same size as mine I didn't have much hope, and...  Yep, same result.

Thanks much for giving it a try though.  Greatly appreciated.

Scott

Do you have more than one wifi network in your environment? Make sure the sim computer and the device are both connected to the same network.  May be an issue if you have more than one network or use a wifi extender. Then in the app head into External in the left side menu bar, scroll to the bottom under Simulators, and make sure the FSX & PrePar3D option is checked.

Frank Patton
MasterCase Pro H500M; MSI Z490 WiFi MOB; i7 10700k 3.8 Ghz; Gigabyte RTX 3080 12gb OC; H100i Pro liquid cooler; 32GB DDR4 3600;  Gold RMX850X PSU;
ASUS 
VG289 4K 27" Monitor; Honeycomb Alpha & Bravo, Crosswind 3's w/dampener.  
Former USAF meteorologist & ground weather school instructor. AOPA Member #07379126

"I will never put my name on a product that does not have in it the best that is in me." - John Deere

Hi Scott,

Firewall/Security issue - - - perhaps try running the executable as "Administrator" ???

I just uninstalled and reinstalled to test - it's working here...

Regards,

Scott

Hi Scott,

Did you run the required "simconnect" installs that are included with the P3D installation directory ??? 

They're located in the "redist" directory and needed for many applications to connect to P3D...

I usually run the ones in:

• ESPv1
  • FSX-RTM
  • FSX-SP1
  • FSX-SP2-XPACK

Regards,
Scott

• Upvote 2

I upgraded the iPad app two days ago following their  IOS 11 all clear and had a couple of hours of frustration. Brain fade. The update installed without that External...Simulators checkmark I mentioned above.  I am using Windows 10, Windows Defender, and have never had an issue beyond the two I mentioned above. My home has a wifi network for our general use, and our cable system's Tivo service utilizes a separate wifi net.  Beyond that we have a wifi extender at one end of the home.  So my other suggestion should be checked as well. Hope one of them solves it for you. My iPad tends to stay connected to whatever and when I move back to my sim the wifi connection of the iPad can present a problem until corrected.

Frank Patton
MasterCase Pro H500M; MSI Z490 WiFi MOB; i7 10700k 3.8 Ghz; Gigabyte RTX 3080 12gb OC; H100i Pro liquid cooler; 32GB DDR4 3600;  Gold RMX850X PSU;
ASUS 
Former USAF meteorologist & ground weather school instructor. AOPA Member #07379126

"I will never put my name on a product that does not have in it the best that is in me." - John Deere

46 minutes ago, fppilot said:

Do you have more than one wifi network in your environment?

Hi Frank.  Both devices are on the same network, but the issue wasn't connectivity between the sim computer and my ipad, it was that the GPS app wouldn't run at all.

43 minutes ago, scottb613 said:

Did you run the required "simconnect" installs that are included with the P3D installation directory ???

Ack!  That was it!  I didn't even think about this as simconnect was working fine with FSUIPC5 and Spad.next.  Obviously the utility uses one of the older ones.

All is well.  Thank you VERY much!

Scott

• Upvote 1

This is such a great community at Avsim!

• Upvote 1

Frank Patton
ASUS 

Scott, sorry you had issues (and glad you were able to resolve them), but without you posting this, I would have never known of this treat! 

To all that assisted, thanks as well... my install and setup was seamless.  Technology never ceases to amaze me.

• Upvote 1

Hi Leland,

Be sure to check out the geo-referenced approach plates - this is the only source in the world that I know of - that gives them away for free...

Regards,

Scott (the other one)

• Upvote 1