Sign in to follow this  
MadBilo

B738 correct lighting at night/

Hello, my question is mainly for the real life airline pilots. I was wondering do you guys have the LOGO and the wing lights on throughout the whole flight during night time and if not what when do switch them off. I am aware it differs from airline to airline because of every airline got a specific SOP they use but it will be amazing to know what you guys do, thank you :)

Necmi Osman

4 minutes ago, MadBilo said:

Hello, my question is mainly for the real life airline pilots. I was wondering do you guys have the LOGO and the wing lights on throughout the whole flight during night time and if not what when do switch them off. I am aware it differs from airline to airline because of every airline got a specific SOP they use but it will be amazing to know what you guys do, thank you :)

Full names on all posts here please. Wing lights and logo go off above 10000 with the others.  Sure, I'm not an airline pilot but I share the sky with them and can observe them.

Dan Downs KCRP

12 minutes ago, downscc said:

Full names on all posts here please. Wing lights and logo go off above 10000 with the others.  Sure, I'm not an airline pilot but I share the sky with them and can observe them.

thank you :)

Necmi Osman

FL180 here,  actually.   And logo lights are kind of a "do what you want" case;  they typically come off at 180 as well but some guys leave them on for the whole flight at night. 

Andrew Crowley

10 hours ago, Stearmandriver said:

FL180 here,  actually.   And logo lights are kind of a "do what you want" case;  they typically come off at 180 as well but some guys leave them on for the whole flight at night. 

O, thank you sir!

Necmi Osman

12 hours ago, downscc said:

Wing lights and logo go off above 10000 with the others.

Most airlines use 18,000 feet, not 10,000.

Really. I though they would stay on or off (at pilot discretion) all the time, while flying at night.

My%20Signature.jpg

1 hour ago, Spin737 said:

KAL ran them all night. Probably something to do with KAL007. 

Just looked that up, ouch. Talk about a horrible way to go out.

4 hours ago, bthiago said:

Really. I though they would stay on or off (at pilot discretion) all the time, while flying at night.

There is no VFR traffic above 18,000 so having all the lights on all the time would be overkill.  The bulbs aren't free so it makes sense to shut them off when they are not needed.  If the plane has a logo light I'll leave that on all the time.

49 minutes ago, JoeDiamond said:

There is no VFR traffic above 18,000

There can be VFR traffic above FL600. :smile:

Landing lights at 10,000 and logo and nav lights always own for me. 

blaustern

I Earned My Spurs in Vietnam

Hello,

I've seen many wrong answers above so I will try to answer you about the light operations on a 737 :

- Logo lights : used at night on ground and usually turned off above FL100 (in order to save the bulb)

- Wing and wheel lights : never on during normal operations. They are only used on ground when the aircraft is parked for the outside inspection, or in flight for a short time in order to spot ice on wings.

- Strobe lights : Steady at all time. Strobe & steady mode while on a runway, crossing a runway and obviously in flight.

- Anti-collision lights : when at least one engine is running. (You put it on before starting the engines and switch it off after the N1 is below 10% after shutting the engines down.)

Hope it helps, see you in the skies!

Alexandre Kubatko.

21 minutes ago, Kimp1lot said:

Hello,

I've seen many wrong answers above so I will try to answer you about the light operations on a 737 :

- Logo lights : used at night on ground and usually turned off above FL100 (in order to save the bulb)

- Wing and wheel lights : never on during normal operations. They are only used on ground when the aircraft is parked for the outside inspection, or in flight for a short time in order to spot ice on wings.

- Strobe lights : Steady at all time. Strobe & steady mode while on a runway, crossing a runway and obviously in flight.

- Anti-collision lights : when at least one engine is running. (You put it on before starting the engines and switch it off after the N1 is below 10% after shutting the engines down.)

Hope it helps, see you in the skies!

Alexandre Kubatko.

“Wrong” answers. Alexandre, there’s more than one correct answer as there are more than one SOP. 

Matt Cee

Yeah you are right shouldn't have named the answers "wrong". What I've previously said is most likely what is used in Europe.

Although, even if there is more than one SOP, I highly doubt there is one telling you to fly with wing lights ON lol !

• Upvote 1

2 hours ago, Bluestar said:

There can be VFR traffic above FL600. :smile:

Indeed! The U-2 comes to mind, shame we don't have a good one for P3D. I'd hope that a U-2 wouldn't be a factor in collisions :laugh: