Sign in to follow this  
Driverab330

Real life 777 cockpit video from LH cargo

From IGROD they flew the NORMA arrival via MELON to R/W 16R. Fixing CLUST and NORMA at 6000ft.

Bernard Walford

On 8 November 2017 at 4:55 PM, dmwalker said:

I was just checking Flightradar24 and it shows LH8386 departing on June 27 as D-ALFD and flying a more southerly route.

D-ALFA departed on June 26 at 10:29 pm local time and arrived at Narita at 4:12 pm local time. It reached an altitude of 37,000 ft.

I'm just gearing up for this flight. Do we think this date and time above is confirmed from all the diligent research that has been done by you good chaps?

I want to fly ASN Historical Weather as others have remarked how beautiful the climb out phase was and interesting to witness transition back in to day at Dep + 2.5 Hrs.

I flew it at that date and time and the ASN weather seemed to match (and I definitely saw that transition back to full day).

James

Gentlemen, if you want to try something different and wish see more than one sunrise in one single flight, I suggest you try to simulate CX845 KJFK to VHHH in summer time over the pole. Alternatively CX899 from EWR to VHHH will also work. 

This particular flight departs after midnight out of JFK. 

The sun rises two hours into the flight. Just after you cross the pole the sun goes down again. In summer time you will see the  sun rises again just before landing into Hong Kong at around 5:30am local time. 

The flying time usually sits around 15:30hr, it is like doing a round trip flight from Brisbane to Hong Kong and back to Brisbane in one go. 

• Upvote 1

5 hours ago, honanhal said:

I flew it at that date and time and the ASN weather seemed to match (and I definitely saw that transition back to full day).

James

Cheers James.

Your FP from the previous page is spot on apart from I think they flew MELON as the STAR - at least there is mention of it several times in the cockpit. I threw below at SimBrief but with MELON instead of SWAMPSB and got out over the Sea, then in - which they did I think - as they make mention too.

TOBA9D TOBAK DCT UVANO Y150 TOLGI DCT HLZ DCT BODLA Z717 KUNER B810 RONUN DCT RONUS DCT TITOV M994 PIRUS R367 NASBI G722 ARKUK B152 RIMAG A333 IGROD Y301 SHELY Y30 SWAMP SWAMSB

What do you think?

Hurry up! I'm off tonight! ;-)

10 minutes ago, ganter said:

Your FP from the previous page is spot on apart from I think they flew MELON as the STAR - at least there is mention of it several times in the cockpit. I threw below but with MELON instead of SWAMPSB and get out over the Sea - as they make mention too.

You're exactly right -- corrections in the following to have it match their flight:

TOBA9D TOBAK DCT UVANO Y150 TOLGI DCT HLZ DCT BODLA Z717 KUNER B810 RONUN DCT RONUS DCT TITOV M994 PIRUS R367 NASBI G722 ARKUK B152 RIMAG A333 IGROD Y301 SHELY Y30 MELON NORMA

They ended up landing on one of the 16 runways instead of 34 (I forget which runway it was), hence the NORMA arrival (which links to MELON).

James

7 minutes ago, honanhal said:

You're exactly right -- corrections in the following to have it match their flight:

TOBA9D TOBAK DCT UVANO Y150 TOLGI DCT HLZ DCT BODLA Z717 KUNER B810 RONUN DCT RONUS DCT TITOV M994 PIRUS R367 NASBI G722 ARKUK B152 RIMAG A333 IGROD Y301 SHELY Y30 MELON NORMA

They ended up landing on one of the 16 runways instead of 34 (I forget which runway it was), hence the NORMA arrival (which links to MELON).

James

Splendid, thanks for confirming James - and so fast. (Sorry about terrible syntax mistakes in my post - was typing in haste)

Off tonight - SimBrief reports 88 Tons of fuel required for the 56 Tons of cargo they carried - and a journey time of 10 hrs 40 mins - I expect that will drop as we'll have historic weather from June and thus more favourable winds.

Looking forward to "that golden hour"

Thanks for your help.

Jim

In case you wish to compare, they reached 33,000 ft at 20:59 UTC, then initiated the step climb to 35,000 ft at 00:00 UTC and initiated the step climb to 37,000 ft at 04:43 UTC.

Dugald Walker

43 minutes ago, dmwalker said:

In case you wish to compare, they reached 33,000 ft at 20:59 UTC, then initiated the step climb to 35,000 ft at 00:00 UTC and initiated the step climb to 37,000 ft at 04:43 UTC.

Interesting. I've departed now and Enroute - (Inbound POBOX)

We're at FL350, we plan to SC to FL370 in about 6 hours. So, maybe not far off - and that was SimBrief.

All good. Eating disgusting inflight catering, Waiting for that "Sun Rise" in about another hour and a half.

Sim looks good. Flight proceeding according to plan. 

"Plan your flight - and fly your plan."

I asked my friend to try to get me sunday night's flight plan GEC8384 if I get it before departure I'll post it here if anybody is looking to fly eddf-rjaa - David Lee

Flight completed. In real time.

Thanks to all who helped with FP.

Most enjoyable.

It seemed a little darker than it should have been ay EDDF at 2020z

2017-12-7_10-42-22-352.jpg

Ready for P & S

2017-12-7_20-34-53-523.jpg

But we got away in a timely manner and enjoyed Frankfurt in the gloom.

2017-12-7_20-45-34-943.jpg

Sure enough the sun rose about 2 1/2 hours later. Fairly epic actually.

2017-12-7_22-49-22-709.jpg

2017-12-7_22-49-36-193.jpg

and stayed with us for the remainder of the trip.

I got my head down for five hours setting my alarm to wake me in time to enjoy FL370 and plan the descent, etc.

2017-12-8_5-42-34-528.jpg

All set up for 16R and Manual Flight.

2017-12-8_7-0-15-552.jpg

Taxi down to Cargo

2017-12-8_7-3-36-467.jpg

Arrival at Gate 22 at 0711z which I think is not far off.

2017-12-8_7-16-46-570.jpg

Onto the crew bus and the hotel - and that Sushi Capt. Rick kept going on about ;-)

2017-12-8_7-14-34-655.jpg

It constantly amazes me just how true to life FSX/ P3D can be. Simulating a 10:30 hour flight like this through the same METARS they flew and arriving within a few minutes of the real D-ALFA back in June 2017.

ESP might be old code but it's steam driven and just plods it out by the numbers.

Great stuff,

Jim

3 hours ago, ganter said:

It constantly amazes me just how true to life FSX/ P3D can be. Simulating a 10:30 hour flight like this through the same METARS they flew and arriving within a few minutes of the real D-ALFA back in June 2017.

I am curious about the fuel planning for this flight. I know you can use historical weather from Active Sky for the weather and winds aloft that the aircraft will encounter on this flight. But I have never used a planner such as PFPX that has historical weather. I believe PFPX only uses current weather. So if PFPX was used to plan this flight, the trip, contingency, reserves and release fuel would be based upon December 8, 2017 weather and winds. Or was the fuel needed just guessed at.

11 minutes ago, pcubine said:

I am curious about the fuel planning for this flight. I know you can use historical weather from Active Sky for the weather and winds aloft that the aircraft will encounter on this flight. But I have never used a planner such as PFPX that has historical weather. I believe PFPX only uses current weather. So if PFPX was used to plan this flight, the trip, contingency, reserves and release fuel would be based upon December 8, 2017 weather and winds. Or was the fuel needed just guessed at.

If PFPX' weather source is set to ActiveSky it will use the same, historical weather as in your sim as it loads the WX snapshot file from ActiveSky. This is completely independent from the date set in PFPX. I fly with historical weather all the time and as PFPX doesnt allow planning of flights with a STD more than 24h in the past, i always set the current date but it still uses historical weather. You can check by hovering over the departure or destination airport field and check the METAR timestamp

42 minutes ago, pcubine said:

I used SimBrief for this flight and that doesn't have historical FP either so yes, you're right, SimBrief gave me numbers based on 8th Dec 2017.

However, in the film the guys mention their cargo weight and their take off weight so I was able to interpolate that - sort of - into the PMDG 77F. (Simbrief allows you to create your own aircraft based on their templates and any abnormalities you may wish to factor in.)

At the end of the day I filled up with 86 tons of fuel based on a cargo load out of 56 tons (which I misheard in the film - they loaded 66 tons) - which allowed a good margin of contingency and a little extra for luck.

I landed with 10.74 tons remaining.

Here are the exact numbers if you're interested.

fp1.jpg