Sign in to follow this  
Driverab330

Real life 777 cockpit video from LH cargo

Hi all,

I just came across with this very good cockpit video of from LH cargo 77F flying from Frankfurt to Tokyo Narita. 

The video consists of quite a few different viewing angles which I personally think they capture the real life operation quite well. 

Hope you all will enjoy watching this. 

Btw, Very smooth hand flying by the first officer, and excellent landing technique. 

Cheers. 

• Upvote 5

Nice find!.

Thx for posting.

Cheers

Mark

Spoiler

System specs: MFG Crosswind pedals| ACE B747 yoke |Honeycomb Bravo throttle
Now built: P3Dv5.3HF2: Intel i5-12600K @4.8Ghz | MSI Z690-A PRO | Asus TUF Gaming RTX3070 OC 8Gb| 32Gb Corsair Vengeance LPX DDR4 3200Mhz |Samsung 980Evo Pro PCIe 500Gb | WD Black SN850 PCIe 2Tb | beQuiet 802 Tower Case|Corsair RM850 PSU | Acer Predator 34p 3440x1440p

Mark Aldridge
P3D v5.3 HF2, P3Dv4.5 and sometimes FSX!

A very enjoyable video to watch.

Does anybody know the exact month and date the flight took place (summer obviously), and if a flight plan is available for this northerly, almost polar, route?

Bernard Walford

7 hours ago, walfob said:

A very enjoyable video to watch.

Does anybody know the exact month and date the flight took place (summer obviously), and if a flight plan is available for this northerly, almost polar, route?

I found one May last year but of course flying it today in different conditions you could build a plan on pfpx or simbrief better. pfpx gives you close to real plans if you exclude airspace for Ukraine and China in the create a route section.

TOBAK N858 ERSIL UN858 ESOBU UN746 MAG DCT BODLA Z717 KUNER/K0878F330 B810 RONUN/N0474F330 L134 GARSO M990 VALGA M994 PIRUS/K0876F330 B210 OGINO R822 METAT R30 KTL R22 SONIB R813 URAMI R117 KUMIR R22 PTG R809 BAGAL/K0863F350 R809 DINEP/K0886F370 R359 LEDIS R211 TORMA A946 IVADA A333 LUTEL/K0894F390 A333 IGROD/N0482F390 Y301 SHELY/N0480F380 Y30 MELON

- David Lee

Thanks, David. I'll try this.

I'm flying a VATroute flight at the moment, but it doesn't get light until several hours into the flight.

I want to replicate the flight under the same conditions. In the video the Captain says that the flight follows the sun; and, I think, about 2-3 hours into the flight it's bright sunshine which a flight close to the north pole in summer would have. I want to check this out.

Bernard Walford

3 hours ago, walfob said:

the Captain says that the flight follows the sun

The Captain is wrong. EDDF-RJAA is eastbound. The sun is westbound. I have flown this route many times using TOBA6G TOBAK N858 ERSIL UN858 ESOBU UN746 BINKA N746 KOKAT R355 NRM A333 IGROD Y301 SHELY Y30 SWAMP SWAMPN. Depart Frankfurt in darkness about 4:00AM local time. Then daylight until about 3 hours from Narita. Then darkness.

The cargo doors closed at 20:20 UTC and they did a TOBAK 9D departure from Rwy 07C. The captain didn't say they were following the sun; he was commenting on the fact that, even though they left EDDF after sunset, they were back into sunshine again after 2 hrs 30 mins. because they were flying so far north.

It reminded me of the time I flew from New York to Seoul via Anchorage in 1983. We left New York at midnight and, when we landed at Anchorage, dawn was breaking but when we took off and headed south west to Seoul, we went back into darkness and I think we didn't see daylight again until about an hour or two from Seoul.

Dugald Walker

54 minutes ago, dmwalker said:

It reminded me of the time I flew from New York to Seoul via Anchorage in 1983. We left New York at midnight and, when we landed at Anchorage, dawn was breaking but when we took off and headed south west to Seoul, we went back into darkness and I think we didn't see daylight again until about an hour or two from Seoul.

Not quite the same, but I flew from Salt Lake City to Anchorage in 2007, departing out of Salt Lake City at 21:30 PM, when it was almost completely dark. By the time we got to Anchorage at 23:52 PM, the sun was only just setting. The next morning, when I looked outside, I thought it was past 10:00 AM. It was only roughly 05:00 AM.

Captain Kevin

nGsKmfi.jpg

Air Kevin 124 heavy, wind calm, runway 4 left, cleared for take-off.

Live streams of my flights here.

1 hour ago, dmwalker said:

The cargo doors closed at 20:20 UTC and they did a TOBAK 9D departure from Rwy 07C. The captain didn't say they were following the sun; he was commenting on the fact that, even though they left EDDF after sunset, they were back into sunshine again after 2 hrs 30 mins. because they were flying so far north.

Thank you all.

I agree, the time on the stand was 20.20 UTC and it was still light, which I am guessing would be around late August in Frankfurt. In the northern hemisphere in summer it would stay light the further the flight was to the north pole; and when the flight landed in Narita it was still light.

Qn. Which flight route will replicate this more closely - 777200lrf's or pcubine's.

This is the flight I want to set up.

Bernard Walford

Did you try working it out from the chart shown at 4mins 20secs in the video? I could see waypoints GONKA, LUSIP, RIMAG and TANAM and I think you could probably identify one or two more and create a realistic route.

Dugald Walker

12 hours ago, walfob said:

Qn. Which flight route will replicate this more closely - 777200lrf's or pcubine's.

The route I posted is pretty close to a great circle route. I believe the northern most waypoint is 6830N.

12 hours ago, pcubine said:

The route I posted is pretty close to a great circle route. I believe the northern most waypoint is 6830N.

Thanks, Michael. Flew your route yesterday, my first 10+ hour 77F trip. Set FSX to late August and departed EDDF 07C ~1849z during what Cpt. Rick from the video called "the golden hour." Payload was as described in the video and ASN had control of weather. The climb out was spectacularly beautiful.

Shortly afterwards I was flying in total darkness, but about 3 hours later the sun began peeking over the horizon. An hour or so afterward I was in full daylight. With a 50+ kt tail at FL350 most of the way I arrived RJAA 0506z on ILSZ 16R, 10h17m trip time - a bit shorter than the LH crew's flight because I took a couple of shortcuts on the arrival. 

It was a great experience and lots of fun more or less duplicating the flight in this excellent video. Thanks also to Wing Lai for the link.

- Jev McKee, AVSIM member since 2006.
Specs: i7-2600K oc to 4.7GHz, 8GB, GTX580-1.5GB, 512GB SSD, Saitek Pro Flight Yoke System, FSX-Acceleration 

For a bit of challenge one may try to land 16L / 34R which is the normal Landing runway for anything up to the 773ER. It is used mainly for airplane which is be parked  in terminal 2. 

LDA for 16L is 2500m. 

They put the freighter onto 16R solely becuase the cargo terminal was located very to close the runway.