Sign in to follow this  
MLaederach

Cockpit extremely dark at night

Hi there

I have an issue with flying the 747 at night. The cockpit is way too dark, I even can't see the switches to turn on the dome lighting. How can I fix it?DarkCockpit.png

EDIT: Nevermind, I thought it was the same problem I had a couple of weeks ago. But this time it was an error of the livery.

Kind Regards

Marc

11 minutes ago, MLaederach said:

The cockpit is way too dark

I thought that this morning when I got up to get ready for work. That's the unfortunate part of it being the middle of the night.

"Too dark" isn't really something that we can change. The principle of darkness is that it is exactly that.

12 minutes ago, MLaederach said:

How can I fix it?

Turn on lights.

...or adjust the settings in your sim, on your monitor, or through whatever add-on you may be using to change the lighting in the sim.

• Upvote 1

Kyle Rodgers

Wow Kyle, the whole darkness thing really necessary?

To solve this, just adjust the gamma setting for your graphics card or monitor, just enough so you can make out the dome light switch.

• Upvote 3

Dave Hodges

System Specs:  I9-13900KF, NVIDIA 4070TI, Quest 3, Multiple Displays, Lots of TERRIFIC friends, 3 cats, and a wonderfully stubborn wife.

3 minutes ago, DaveCT2003 said:

Wow Kyle, the whole darkness thing really necessary?

Yes. Stating "is too dark," particularly in regard to a certain product implies that something in the product is incorrect. Night is inherently dark (and is literally defined by that darkness). Therefore, the factual statement of "is too dark" isn't entirely appropriate.

• Upvote 1

Kyle Rodgers

Are you using any kind of PTA preset? You may want to look for one if you are using P3D.

My%20Signature.jpg

59 minutes ago, bthiago said:

Are you using any kind of PTA preset? You may want to look for one if you are using P3D.

Exactly this. I've used some PTA presets that make things darker than photographers' darkrooms (remember those?). The little bit of light emitted by the displays should let you at least discern some of the cockpit objects. I would try a different preset or make adjustments to the one you're using.

Walter Meier

4 hours ago, wsmeier said:

Exactly this. I've used some PTA presets that make things darker than photographers' darkrooms (remember those?). The little bit of light emitted by the displays should let you at least discern some of the cockpit objects. I would try a different preset or make adjustments to the one you're using.

Your best bet is to change something with more lighting. 

My%20Signature.jpg

On ‎10‎/‎30‎/‎2017 at 2:21 PM, scandinavian13 said:

Yes. Stating "is too dark," particularly in regard to a certain product implies that something in the product is incorrect. Night is inherently dark (and is literally defined by that darkness). Therefore, the factual statement of "is too dark" isn't entirely appropriate.

Kyle

I agree with Dave Hodges above, not necessary!

Sometimes people don't actually need to be talked to like children and what's appropriate is to give a bit of slack and sound human when replying to people here rather than a condescending robot even if what your saying might be factually correct. Your incredibly quick to criticise anyone that doesn't get things quite right here but perhaps it would be prudent if you took a bit more time to focus on where you yourself might have room for improvement in your interpersonal skills instead. Technical know how is not the be all and end all in life we need to be able to communicate well too.

nick caldwell

• Upvote 4

2 minutes ago, nickcaldwell4587 said:

Your incredibly quick to criticise anyone that doesn't get things quite right here but perhaps it would be prudent if you took a bit more time to focus on where you yourself might have room for improvement in your interpersonal skills . Technical know how is not the be all and end all in life we need to be able to communicate well too.

Since I'm being accused of quick criticism: it's "you're."

It might be prudent to read the initial post. It isn't in the least bit condescending. It's factual: night is dark. "The cockpit is way too dark" in a clear night shot of an aircraft indicates that the product itself is at fault, and not the simulation of it being night, which is dark, by definition.

Kyle Rodgers

With FSX levels of darkness you can usually see your way around the flightdeck to find the light switches. In P3D  night is more realistically darker and you can't do that if you have no moonlight to help you. It's important to remember where the dome light switch is, then you can set up the panel lighting before you start.

So it isn't the 747 that's dark, it's P3D.

ki9cAAb.jpg