Sign in to follow this  
tttocs

Pop Up?

28 minutes ago, tttocs said:

No joy on glideslope display, unfortunately.  Horizontal guidance was fine, but the GS display never came alive on the HSI.  Any thoughts?

It can be a bit tricky. But when it works I love it.

Check this out. I found this at A2A. It refers to the GTN 650 but it may offer you some insight. http://flywithhoward.com/wp-content/uploads/2014/12/GTN650-KAP140_Coupled_GPS_Approach.pdf

24 minutes ago, tttocs said:

No surprise there Frank.  In FSX with the legacy 530/430 I never could get popups on the 210 to work without turning off reflections.  There are a few other Carenado products that behave similarly.  Just another one of those Carenado-isms I guess.  I've installed the 210 in v4 but haven't started playing with it yet.

Meanwhile, I've been using the 337 as my test subject for my new P3D setup as it's a plane I like and is relatively easy to fly so that I can focus on setup issues.  Did my first complete P3D v4 flight from KSTS to KRDD tonight (Orbx NorCal and both airports) and I'm very pleased with the combination of v4 and my new hardware.  Not a single glitch, hiccup or stutter.  The next challenge relative to the v2 530 came when I tried to do the GPS (LPV) approach into KRDD.  No joy on glideslope display, unfortunately.  Horizontal guidance was fine, but the GS display never came alive on the HSI.  Any thoughts?

Scott

No Scott. Spent so much time over the years from the days of my original IBM PC in late 1981. Was the second owner of an IBM PC in the state of Oklahoma. The Computerland franchise owner in Oklahoma City was the first. I had to write my own MS Basic word processing program in IBM Basic language because I could not afford to purchase the one expensive word processing program that was available. The only relief from first-adopter stress was the only entertainment offering, FS1.

FS versions, Flight Assignment, ATP; Sierra Pro Pilot; Xplane,etc. My first adopter days are long over.  Now here I am, RXP GNS v2 in tow, and clearly I have spent 10X hours configuring RXP v2 panels versus flying.  Decided way back to wait out P3D. based on anticipated effort-of-adoption (hours) and purchase $$$ outlay. Don not yet question that delay. And now look at my last 30 days of reversion toward "first adoption" for state of the art GPS!

I worked for many years for American Honda Motorcycle Corp. who had an advertising tagline of "I just want to ride"!  In regard to flight sims I am now at the point of "I just want to fly!"

Frank Patton
MasterCase Pro H500M; MSI Z490 WiFi MOB; i7 10700k 3.8 Ghz; Gigabyte RTX 3080 12gb OC; H100i Pro liquid cooler; 32GB DDR4 3600;  Gold RMX850X PSU;
ASUS 
VG289 4K 27" Monitor; Honeycomb Alpha & Bravo, Crosswind 3's w/dampener.  
Former USAF meteorologist & ground weather school instructor. AOPA Member #07379126

"I will never put my name on a product that does not have in it the best that is in me." - John Deere

2 hours ago, tttocs said:

The next challenge relative to the v2 530 came when I tried to do the GPS (LPV) approach into KRDD.  No joy on glideslope display, unfortunately.  Horizontal guidance was fine, but the GS display never came alive on the HSI.  Any thoughts?

Scott

My experience has been that if you get the glideslope needle deflection on the test page, when first powering up the GNS, it will work for LPV approaches as well..

Bert

8 hours ago, bills511 said:

Check this out. I found this at A2A. It refers to the GTN 650 but it may offer you some insight.

Thank you Bill for sharing this!

What this shows is that the GTN and the GNS (real) can be configured at the shop for KAP140/KFC225 A/P specifically. When configured, it will prompt the pilot (like in your PDF) prior telling the A/P it is in approach mode.

Then, the A/P must also use these discrete signals from the GTN/GNS:

'GPS SELECT': it is active when GPS data is being displayed on the CDI/HSI and the ILS/GPS Approach Output is not active. It is intended for use with autopilots having a GPS SELECT* input (such as the Bendix/King KAP 140 and KFC 225), so that the autopilot can capture vertical guidance while GPS data is being displayed on the CDI/HSI.

'ILS/GPS APPROACH': it is active when:  GPS navigation is selected and either a GPS approach mode is active or 0.3 nm is selected for the CDI full scale deflection, or VLOC navigation is selected and an ILS channel has been selected. This output may be connected to the ILS Engage input of an autopilot or flight director to provide higher autopilot gain while the GTN is operating in the ILS or GPS Approach modes of operation.

In the Reality XP GTN and GNS, you can't configure the GPS to the 'manual' mode (prompt), However both the GTN and the GNS output the necessary data already for third party vendors to catch up (GPS SELECT and ILS/GPS APPROACH). It is there in the 'discrete' published var (see RXP User's Manual). This basically is a bitfield with 1 bit for each of the above among other things.

The easiest in our sim world would just be for A2A to just 'read' the VCDI and VCDI flags even in GPS mode for their  A/P to work though.

Jean-Luc | reality-xp.com
This message from Reality XP is protected by a disclaimer: reality-xp.com/aboutrealityxp/email.html

Let your voice be heard and help us make a difference for you: Vote !
Open up communications with Reality-XP (Microsoft Flight Simulator Forums)

9 hours ago, bills511 said:

Check this out. I found this at A2A. It refers to the GTN 650 but it may offer you some insight. http://flywithhoward.com/wp-content/uploads/2014/12/GTN650-KAP140_Coupled_GPS_Approach.pdf

Good morning Bill,

The issue I'm running into isn't problems coupling to the AP - I'm simply not getting glideslope info.  The needle remains dead.  This is an approach I've flown many times with the old RXP 530 in FSX, so it isn't a case of being at the wrong altitude to get glideslope info.  I'll keep playing with it, as I'm sure it's something simple that I'm missing.

9 hours ago, fppilot said:

I worked for many years for American Honda Motorcycle Corp. who had an advertising tagline of "I just want to ride"!  In regard to flight sims I am now at the point of "I just want to fly!"

Trust me Frank, I understand.  I've run a very stable install of FSX for years and have always smiled a bit at the (often self-induced) struggles some seemed to have with that sim.  I spent time in initial setup to get things right and then just flew.  Oh, there were issues to be sure, particularly OOM stuff and various performance problems, and occasional moderate changes for new wx programs and such-like, but for the most part things worked and I simply flew and enjoyed, leaving most tweaking to others.  I promised myself two things had to happen before I moved to P3D: I needed a new, reasonably high-end computer build, and P3D had to have moved to 64-bit.  (Oh, wait - make that 3!  Jean-Luc had to make his GNS's P3D compatible!) 

Now I'm in the same stage I was with FSX initially - taking my time to get things right and have a good stable build.  Once that's done I'll return to "just flying" too.  But trust me - P3Dv4 is a move worth making.

7 hours ago, Bert Pieke said:

My experience has been that if you get the glideslope needle deflection on the test page, when first powering up the GNS, it will work for LPV approaches as well..

I'll have to pay attention at next power-up to see if there's deflection - thanks Bert.

Scott

Now I wonder if anyone's been able to solve the problem of the transponder numbers disappearing when you run the Carenado RXP installer.

Scott

47 minutes ago, tttocs said:

Now I wonder if anyone's been able to solve the problem of the transponder numbers disappearing when you run the Carenado RXP installer.

Scott

Which aircraft is it?

Return the panel to it's original state. Open the panel.cfg look for a gauge that looks the transponder gauge. Then run the Carenado RXP installer look for the same gauge to see if it was removed or renamed and replace it with the original gauge name.

This is the 337.  Thanks for the suggestion, but I've done exactly that having saved a copy of the original panel.cfg before running the Carenado RXP installer during a re-install to try to correct the issue.  Can't see anything there - and the gauge is in place, it just doesn't show the transponder code in the display after you run the utility.  What should be numbers on a black background is just a black background.

Scott

1 hour ago, tttocs said:

This is the 337.  Thanks for the suggestion, but I've done exactly that having saved a copy of the original panel.cfg before running the Carenado RXP installer during a re-install to try to correct the issue.  Can't see anything there - and the gauge is in place, it just doesn't show the transponder code in the display after you run the utility.  What should be numbers on a black background is just a black background.

Scott

I uninstalled from P3D4. Reinstalled and it not it now shows. Running the Carenado RXP installer kills it for some reason. If you reinstall save a copy of the panel folder. Running the Carenado gauge installer doesn't bring back the transponder. There are two model folders. That may have something to do with it.

Keep the original Carenado panel setup. Don't run the Carenado RXP installer. Install GNS using the Add-ons RXP setup aircraft gauge installer. It now works (transponder). Can't toggle GNS thou.:angry:

You have to love Carenado.  And we're kinda back to where I started with this thread.  Had it working without running the RXP installer but no pop-up (and that double-gauge issue which was me doing a 'duh).  Shift 2 works, but you can't click.  I think I'll have to live with that for now.

Thanks again for all your help!

Scott

Just to close the loop here - I did move back to not running the Carenado utility and just using the panel tool to install.  To compensate for no click to pop up, I simply mapped Shift+1 to an unused button on my yoke and I like that just as well if not better so problem mitigated if not actually solved.  Certainly worth it to have my transponder code visible again.

The only issue I see is that going this route all of my buttons and dials work in the VC except one.  I've turned on the feature to have the on/off/volume button behave in a RW manner, defaulting to off.  That works fine in the popup view, but does not in the VC where it remains on/off.  And while the switch appears to move (and the click sound is audible) the VC knob does nothing.  Not a big deal, just a minor annoyance.

The bigger issue remains that I still get no needle deflection for glideslope.  I haven't tried it yet on an ILS, but it's completely INOP for LPV approaches.  Per Bert's suggestion, I've noted that during power-up test, the glideslope needle never moves so I expect it won't function for an ILS approach either.  Again, note that I'm not talking about an autopilot glideslope capture issue - this is an INOP glideslope indication on the HSI.

Scott

2 hours ago, tttocs said:

The bigger issue remains that I still get no needle deflection for glideslope.  I haven't tried it yet on an ILS, but it's completely INOP for LPV approaches.  Per Bert's suggestion, I've noted that during power-up test, the glideslope needle never moves so I expect it won't function for an ILS approach either.  Again, note that I'm not talking about an autopilot glideslope capture issue - this is an INOP glideslope indication on the HSI.

Have you tried "Connect GPS to VOR indicator" option?

This one makes the GPS overrides the "VOR" related simvars. There is a change the HSI gauge you are using is coded to read the VOR variables (it shouldn't) instead of the HSI variables (it should).

• Upvote 1

This message from Reality XP is protected by a disclaimer: reality-xp.com/aboutrealityxp/email.html

32 minutes ago, RXP said:

Have you tried "Connect GPS to VOR indicator" option?

No, I haven't tried that yet.  I'll give it a shot this evening and report back.  Seems like if this were the case then horizontal guidance wouldn't be working either (and it is) but its certainly worth a try.

Thanks Jean-Luc.

Scott

The only other reason for it not working would be if the HSI gauge code doesn't bother with VCDI. You see, default GPS doesn't offer VCDI, so it is probable the gauge code is something like:

if (GPS mode) then VCDI = 0 else VCDI = read_flightsim_vcdi_variable()

Whereas code should really not take any assumption about GPS mode, and just do:

VCDI = read_flightsim_vcdi_variable()