Sign in to follow this  
cavcpt

VR / Rift Best Settings

Fellow Pilots, 

Can someone point me to the best settings for both the RIFT and P3DV4 in order to optimize the experience. I have a fairly powerful machine so I'm looking for settings that would best optimize graphics and clarity in the cockpit. Thanks!

Stephen Luebbert

Since every system is unique, I would suggest setting everything to default and slowly working your way up, experimenting with the effects of each change you make until you reach an acceptable balance........

Will you be using native vr, or using flyinside?

We are all connected..... To each other, biologically...... To the Earth, chemically...... To the rest of the Universe atomically.

Devons rig
Intel Core i5 13600K @ 5.1GHz / G.SKILL Trident Z5 RGB Series Ram 32GB / GIGABYTE GeForce RTX 4070 Ti GAMING OC 12G Graphics Card / Sound Blaster Z / Meta Quest 2 VR Headset / Klipsch® Promedia 2.1 Computer Speakers / ASUS ROG SWIFT PG279Q ‑ 27" IPS LED Monitor ‑ QHD / 1x Samsung SSD 850 EVO 500GB / 2x Samsung SSD 860 EVO 1TB /  1x Samsung - 970 EVO Plus 2TB NVMe /  1x Samsung 980 NVMe 1TB / 2 other regular hd's with up to 10 terabyte capacity / Windows 11 Pro 64-bit / Gigabyte Z790 Aorus Elite AX Motherboard LGA 1700 DDR5

HiFlyer, 

I've been utilizing both. Like several on here, I've begun to appreciate the native VR more because of the ability to switch back and fourth and to still utilize Chase Plane. I saw references to the Oculus Toolbox or something similar, are there settings within that particular application I should be experimenting with as well? 

Thanks for the quick response. 

Stephen

The oculus tray tool. https://forums.oculus.com/community/discussion/47247/oculus-traytool-supersampling-profiles-hmd-disconnect-fixes-hopefully/p1

I've found it's best to leave everything set to off on that except supersampling at various levels, when creating a profile for P3Dv4.

Your milage may vary.

Various visual huds you can run using the tool also can give you interesting information on what's happening under the hood, and how your system and the oculus are handling the load.

It was also informative watching how P3D native and Flyinside performed comparatively, according to the hud tools.

And the startling difference when running Aerofly!

We are all connected..... To each other, biologically...... To the Earth, chemically...... To the rest of the Universe atomically.

Devons rig
Intel Core i5 13600K @ 5.1GHz / G.SKILL Trident Z5 RGB Series Ram 32GB / GIGABYTE GeForce RTX 4070 Ti GAMING OC 12G Graphics Card / Sound Blaster Z / Meta Quest 2 VR Headset / Klipsch® Promedia 2.1 Computer Speakers / ASUS ROG SWIFT PG279Q ‑ 27" IPS LED Monitor ‑ QHD / 1x Samsung SSD 850 EVO 500GB / 2x Samsung SSD 860 EVO 1TB /  1x Samsung - 970 EVO Plus 2TB NVMe /  1x Samsung 980 NVMe 1TB / 2 other regular hd's with up to 10 terabyte capacity / Windows 11 Pro 64-bit / Gigabyte Z790 Aorus Elite AX Motherboard LGA 1700 DDR5

What Hiflyer said ++++1  !!

The Tray Tool is either started up as Windows starts (an option within Tray Tool) or just make sure it is started up before P3Dv4 native mode (FlyInside does it's own thing that is similar) - so as to get Super Sampling at least to 1.5 in order to get much clearer instrument displays (even though it slows performance down a bit depending on whether you have an Nvidia 1060 or a 1080Ti ).

If you can afford it and want to compare flight sim experiences in VR, do also what HiFlyer said, try out Aerofly FS2 and also (my recommendation)Combat Air Patrol 2 (you get to fly the Harrier AV-8) from Steam. They both run almost twice as fast as P3Dv4 in VR so the motion is very fluid - you can even just download and try them (FS2 is a HUGE 60gb download, CAP2 only 4.5gb ) and then if you don't want to keep them ( less than 2 hours of flying them and within 2 weeks), you can return them for a full refund (supposedly). Flying in VR with high update rates and reasonable clarity is just the best! They both feature fairly high-detailed photoreal scenery - but not the whole world.

Dave W.

PC=9700K@5Ghz+RTX2070  VR=HP Reverb|   Software = Windows 10 | Flight SIms = P3D, CAP2, DCS World, IL-2,  Aerofly FS2