Sign in to follow this  
Bourrinopathe

GTN 750 + default Cessna 172

At my Cessna, "touch" functionality doesn't work :/ any ideas? Both nobs and "Home" button works but not a touch screen.

Thanks guys. I'm glad you're enjoying the mod.
I certainly have fun with it.

----

21 hours ago, bluebell2 said:

Hi @Bourrinopathe first I will say I love your 3D models for the GTN 650/750 and can I use them in Bell 429.

Also dimensions, did you set width to fit Cessna panel 17.4 cm / 6.85" where the real width should be 15.9 cm / 6.25".?

https://buy.garmin.com/en-GB/GB/p/67886#specs

Tom.

Hi Tom,

Sure, feel free to use the models and textures. As long as you mention the origin of the models, I'm perfectly fine sharing them. That's the whole point ;)

As for the dimensions, I chose to use LR GNS (530 and 430) as reference (supposedly 15.9 cm / 6.25" width) and the scale has been set based on those instruments. If the GNS are not to scale in the C172, my GTN models are also out of scale, and one would have to edit them using a 3D modelling software.

While fiddling with different cockpit modifications I've noticed a few discrepancies with the instruments width. And as I'm very green about X-Plane models and modding, I just took the C172 as reference. I initially didn't plan to make anything else than an updated model and glass effect for your mod.

So, the default Cessna GNS are inaccurate and their width is 17.4 cm / 6.85" ?

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, Bourrinopathe said:

Thanks guys. I'm glad you're enjoying the mod.
I certainly have fun with it.

----

Hi Tom,

Sure, feel free to use the models and textures. As long as you mention the origin of the models, I'm perfectly fine sharing them. That's the whole point ;)

As for the dimensions, I chose to use LR GNS (530 and 430) as reference (supposedly 15.9 cm / 6.25" width) and the scale has been set based on those instruments. If the GNS are not to scale in the C172, my GTN models are also out of scale, and one would have to edit them using a 3D modelling software.

While fiddling with different cockpit modifications I've noticed a few discrepancies with the instruments width. And as I'm very green about X-Plane models and modding, I just took the C172 as reference. I initially didn't plan to make anything else than an updated model and glass effect for your mod.

So, the default Cessna GNS are inaccurate and their width is 17.4 cm / 6.85" ?

Thanks for the permission, I did the same in my version of C172 to match the default GNS.

3 hours ago, gpajak said:

At my Cessna, "touch" functionality doesn't work :/ any ideas? Both nobs and "Home" button works but not a touch screen.

If you're using XP in VR, that's a known issue, unfortunately.
There's currently no fix for that.

1 hour ago, Bourrinopathe said:

If you're using XP in VR, that's a known issue, unfortunately.
There's currently no fix for that.

Bourrinopathe, I got X-Plane version 11.11r2 (biuld 111101 64 bt), nor VR - :-(

Then that's not normal, indeed. Thanks for the details.

Do you own any other aircraft with a GTN installed in the virtual cockpit, and if so, is the touchscreen functional there?
Did you try using the pop-up window with this mod? Did it work?
Did you try using the pop-up window with any other aircraft? Did it work?
Can you confirm you cannot click the "Continue" button when starting the GTN? Despite clicking several times?

This GTN mod has been confirmed functional by many users, so it's difficult to tell why it's not working on your configuration.
I'm also using the same (latest) XP version (no-VR).

Found on Bell 429 post on x-plane.org

OK, I have some time too look at all of this today. Here is the RXP INI file. I plan to look it over, test 1.1  which  I still have, and compare the INI files.

RealityXP.GTN.ini.txt

**EDIT** I found the problem by comparing the INI file with the one in the 1.1 429 installation. The new one had usemouse=false for both windows. Then I re-extracted the INI file from the new 1.2 GTN add-on package and it has usemouse=true. I have no idea how that got changed, as I didn't even open the settings...  Anyway, the GTN 750 is working now. I'm leaving the bad INI  file attached. 

OTHERS READING THIS - DO NOT  USE THIS INI FILE!!

Just a quick note on the autopilot:
Remember to select your "Master device" in your GTN options.
As there are two GTN units and no crossfill, I intentionally left it unchecked so the user can choose what GTN unit should be linked to the AP.

64521bc95918536dadd0b6108301932f.jpg

If that's too confusing, I'll change it in a future update.

----

And, of course, it's always a good idea to review the GTN settings and change them to your liking.
For example, a C172 can be equiped with a TAWS-B but I also chose to only use the basic terrain proximity display by default.
Feel free to upgrade your Skyhawk with the TAWS-B by selecting it in the settings.

THANK YOU,  THANK YOU, THANK YOU !!!!

The combination of the Cessna 172, with REP and with the RXP GTN 750 is by far the best aircraft I have ever seen and used in all my years of enjoying Flight Simulation, since FSII in 1984 on a PC jr.   Thank you to all of you who have made this possible.

I hope to see as many of you as possible at the FS Expo in Las Vegas this June.  It would be an honor to spend some time with you.

Best regards,  Howard Bloom

• Upvote 2

Hi Bourrinopathe

Like gpajak (above) I could not get your mod to work - knobs worked to change freqs, home button worked but 'continue' didn't and clicking on the icons on the GTN750 or 650 screen did nothing. However with a few edits on the RealityXP.GTB.ini it is now working perfectly. I must say that your mod provides and excellent integration of the GTNs into the default C172. Thank you very much for your effort and for sharing your work.

Bob

In case someone ever needs it, here's relevant sections of the edited ini file that works for me.  For clarity, edits are shown in bold

[GTN]
; comma separated list of gauges
gauges = GTN_650_2, GTN_750_1

[GTN_750_1]
; comma separated list of read only settings.
locked = CopilotSide, RadiosPair, AutoNavSource, FuelType
; comma separated list of render targets.
drawto = WINDOW, PANEL3D

((portion omitted to reduce length of this post)

[GTN_750_1.WINDOW]
; display window if true.
visible = false

(portion omitted)

[GTN_750_1.PANEL3D]
visible = true
; show screen only gauge if true.
nobezel = true
; display type: WINDOW,PANEL2D,PANEL3D,PANELS
frame.type = PANEL3D
; display position and dimension (left,top,width,height)
frame.rect = 0,1024,602,710
; screen only border size (pixels).
border.size = 1
; screen only border color (#RGB or #RGBA).
border.rgba = #000000
; enable mouse option: NONE,POPUP,TOUCHSCREEN
usemouse = TOUCHSCREEN
; left mouse button on the screen toggles popup window if true (requires SHIFT+left mouse button).
popleft = true
; right mouse button on the screen toggles popup window if true (requires XP11.1).
popright = false

[GTN_650_2]
; comma separated list of read only settings.
locked = CopilotSide, RadiosPair, AutoNavSource, FuelType
drawto = WINDOW, PANEL3D

(portion omitted)

[GTN_650_2.WINDOW]
visible = false
nobezel = false
frame.type = WINDOW
frame.rect = 1256,419,664,280
border.size = 0
border.rgba = #000000
; enable mouse clickspots if true, disable if false (use SHIFT to override)
usemouse = true

(portion omitted)

[GTN_650_2.PANEL3D]
visible = true
nobezel = true
frame.type = PANEL3D
frame.rect = 0,271,602,268
border.size = 0
border.rgba = #000000
usemouse = TOUCHSCREEN
; left mouse button on the screen toggles popup window if true (requires SHIFT+left mouse button).
popleft = false
; right mouse button on the screen toggles popup window if true (requires XP11.1).
popright = false

• Like 1

10 hours ago, aussibob1 said:

[GTN_750_1]
drawto = WINDOW, PANEL3D

10 hours ago, aussibob1 said:

[GTN_750_1.PANEL3D]
frame.type = PANEL3D
usemouse = TOUCHSCREEN

Let me try to further shed light on some of the settings.

1) The section name after the '.' (dot) can be anything you like without space, such as .MY_3DCOCKPIT or .HOW_COOL_IS_THIS. Feel free to use anything you want as you are not restricted to 'pre-determined' names, as long as you use the same name in the drawto= setting.

2) The frame.type also supports 'PANELS', which is both PANEL2D and PANEL3D. PANEL2D is typically the orthographic view of the 3D cockpit used as replacement for a 2D panel on XP9 and XP10 at least.

3) usemouse = 

The previous NONE,POPUP,TOUCHSCREEN is now deprecated since v2.4.10. It is now a simple false/true setting. When true, you get knobs, buttons and screen mouse rects.

Here are the updated setting comments:

; enable mouse clickspots if true, disable if false (use SHIFT to override)
usemouse =
; left mouse button on the screen toggles popup window if true (requires SHIFT+left mouse button)
popleft =

• Like 1

Jean-Luc | reality-xp.com
This message from Reality XP is protected by a disclaimer: reality-xp.com/aboutrealityxp/email.html

Let your voice be heard and help us make a difference for you: Vote !
Open up communications with Reality-XP (Microsoft Flight Simulator Forums)

@aussibob1 Thanks for the info and for your kind words ;)
I'm glad you managed to fix your issue even if I can't see why the .ini from the mod fails to provide the same usability on your system.
As I understand it, your modified .ini changes PANELS to PANEL3D, and usemouse=true to usemouse=TOUCHSCREEN (which is now deprecated, as reported by RXP).
Hopefully your changes might help other users.
If someone can figure out why these settings fix the interactivity issue, please let me know.

What's important is that you can now enjoy the instruments in the 172.

@Howiefly What a joy to read you're enjoying the mod! (I read your message back in February and +rep'ed it)
That's exactly why I wanted to share the mod, so other users could enjoy the experience (hopefully without any issue).

@RXP Thanks for the details and for clarifying! Kickass support as usual ;)

Happy flying everyone!

Edited by Bourrinopathe
  • Upvote 1

On 2/16/2018 at 3:42 AM, Bourrinopathe said:

Get some retrofit into that Skyhawk!
The GTN mod is now available.

tzZjJHX.jpg

INTRODUCTION

This mod will allow you to use your Reality XP GTN instruments in the Skyhawk virtual cockpit.
The chosen configuration is a realistic retrofit including two complementary GTN units (GTN 750 and GTN 650).
If you don't own both Reality XP GTN products, one of the GTN will stay dark with no further issue.
Reality XP products
Enjoy your realistic flights!
This mod has been tested with X-Plane 11.11 and 11.20VR3. It should not go BOOM on you (hopefully) :biggrin:
Thanks to the guinea pigs testers from that forum and beyond. (Thanks for the feedback guys!)

FEATURES

• Accurate GTN 3D models based on Garmin schematics and official 3D models (note that the current versions are not animated).
  • GTN displays using their 'real life' native resolutions:
            - GTN 750 display: 600 x 708 pixels
            - GTN 650 display: 600 x 266 pixels
  • High resolution textures and PBR screen reflexion (might be improved in the future).
  • Fully compatible with SimCoders Reality Expansion Pack v3.3 or superior.
  • Included icons templates (.psd) for your custom liveries.

KNOWN ISSUES

Touchscreens in VR are non-interactable.
This is a common issue with any GTN-equipped aircraft and will likely be fixed soon.

POSSIBLE FUTURE IMPROVEMENTS

• PBR textures improvements
  • animated buttons

SPECIAL THANKS
Thanks to Laminar Research for their community-friendly flight simulator.
Special thanks to Austin Meyer and Massimo Durando.
Huge thanks to Reality XP president, Jean-Luc, for his invaluable help and inputs for this mod, and for the fantastic products and support.
SimCoders for making their REP compatible with this mod.
Community member Bluebell2, for sharing an original GTN 750 mod that inspired this one.
The awesome X-Plane and AVSIM community and testers for helping and supporting this mod and similar projects.
Keep being awesome, keep sharing awesomeness 😉

JWgxFuD.jpg

(extract the content of the archive in your aircraft folder)
(readme file included)

SimCoders REP v3.3 and superior: just install the Reality Expansion Pack as you would do with your standard C172.
The REP installer will identify the files and modify your GTN version.
The icons templates also include a layer to add the SimCoders logo to the previews to help you identify the aircraft version quickly. Use Photoshop or Gimp to edit your files and create your custom liveries previews.

If you encounter any issue with the mod, please post in that thread, and I'll try to help.

Happy flying!

(note to mods or Jean-Luc: please copy the content of that post in the OP (or wherever necessary). Thanks!)

Hey everyone:) Anyone else having a problem with this mod and REP? None of the tie downs and chocks are working for me. They are fine in the standard 172's. Maybe they are not working after an update? With REP installed the tie downs and chock are set in place but you cannot see or remove them.... so the plane acts like the parking brake is on.

Hopefully this will be fixed with the upcoming REP version.
With the latest version the .acf is not modified correctly and the 3D models for the static elements are not attached to the aircraft file.
If you're familiar with the Plane Maker you can attach the rep_statics.obj (in \Standard\Misc Objects), then the wheel chocks and other objects should be displayed correctly.

Otherwise, please wait for a fix.
The mod is still compatible with the default 172 (latest XP stable version).
Thanks!