Sign in to follow this  
SO666

PARK BRAKE CREEP

Hi.

Getting rid of FSUIPC to check for creep , is the very last resort i wish to do but i may have to bite the bullet eventually, as this is the only aircraft with severe creep , my A2A connie creeps , with the usual FSX flaw , but not as bad as this aircraft .

What i tried last night was to remove the brakes from FSUIPC and put the brakes through FSX control , i still had creep but it was reduced , to about 1/3rd of distance from mains to nose , instead of half distance .

Then as i took the brakes from FSX and put them back through FSUIPC , i spotted something not quite right , so i have a line of testing to check , the parkbrake message bottom left stays on when parkbrake set , but when checking FSUIPC buttons and switches , with engines running and the parkbrake switch selected in FSUIPC  , it was going on and off  in FSUIPC selection page , yet with engines shut down , the switch in FSUIPC for parkbrake remained  solid in FSUIPC .

if the parkbrake is going on off in FSUIPC with engines running yet parkbrake message in bottom left of FSX screen is shown on till button release , this might explain the severe creep , i now have to find the cause of the FSUIPC / FSX interferance with engines running.

If i have to get rid of the FSUIPC.ini file and rebuild another , then it will take me ages to set all my aircraft controls up again , this may have to be done yet , but i will not be looking forward to that headache , as i have different controls for different variants of same aircraft regarding ail/ele/rud slope values.

regards alan.

Alan Cottrill.

Allan, you can always make a copy of the FSIUPC.ini file and store it somewhere lse for access. It is just a text file you can easily edit and look up. I have like you probably 10+ profiles in there for different throttle quadrants and stick and yoke.

If something works I make a copy so if I screw up somemthing in the next steps I just copy the sved version back in.

Once you understand the three elements per profile, you can copy past or clean them up by your aircrafts assigned to profiles. 

I use a concept of grouping which is defined by 

engine type and number (prop, turbo, jet and number) - control (stick or yoke)

You may be aware that once you assign an aircraft via the assign menu, it takes the unique identifier of the aircraft to assign the settings when loaded. If you have other liveries to use the same profile just edit the .ini file and delete the redundant entries.

For example if you want to use the same profile for the whole PMDG  Boeing 737-x00 series, you can catch all models and liveries by just having one profile

Profile Jet2_yoke

1=PMDG Boeing 73

And if that adjustment fits for you Tripple 7 too just add

2=PMDG Boeing 77

Happy flying!
Alexander M. Metzger

Hi.

My profiles are very different from the one you use , to give an example , i have all the captsim C130 aircraft , all the 100 in one group 300 in another , float version on its own and the radome version and ski versions on their own , with different elevator slope values so they all fly differently , as would the real versions , but i know what you are getting at , and yes i normally backup the ini every time an aircraft is added , but its still time consuming , i have over 70 profiles at last count. covering over 500 aircraft.

Also i found what was causeing last nights parkbrake switch corruption and fixed it , and have just done an engine start and runup tests on the DC-6 , i still have what i would call excessive creep , but do see a slight improvement on amount of creep over what i was getting.

i can stop the creep fully by using a freeware file called parkbrake fix v2 but would prefere not to use it if possible , but during testing , i could see no adverse affects so far , how this works i have no idea , but it works.

Also on a side note , when i go from inside view to outside view , i notice a slight vertical jump in the aircraft , but cannot remember the cause and fix , but think its a setting in the scenery that causes it , could you enlighten me as to this issue.

regards alan cottrill.

Alan Cottrill.

3 minutes ago, SO666 said:

My profiles are very different from the one you use , to give an example , i have all the captsim C130 aircraft , all the 100 in one group 300 in another , float version on its own and the radome version and ski versions on their own , with different elevator slope values so they all fly differently , as would the real versions , but i know what you are getting at , and yes i normally backup the ini every time an aircraft is added , but its still time consuming , i have over 70 profiles at last count. covering over 500 aircraft.

Also i found what was causeing last nights parkbrake switch corruption and fixed it , and have just done an engine start and runup tests on the DC-6 , i still have what i would call excessive creep , but do see a slight improvement on amount of creep over what i was getting.

Sounds a lot like you're making a ton of assumptions about how aircraft fly, and try to force them to behave how you want them to behave through FSUIPC.

If that's what you'd like, then that's fine, but don't expect the aircraft to behave properly, as designed.

I mentioned a way to check for FSUIPC issues in my earlier post. Have you tried this?

Kyle Rodgers

Hi.

Not yet no , and i wont be doing so before sunday , as i require FSUIPC for a mission on saturday with the 91st bombardment group in the A2A B17 .

but i will try it , although reluctantly , as i dont think it will fix it fully.

regards alan cottrill.

Alan Cottrill.

1 minute ago, SO666 said:

but i will try it , although reluctantly , as i dont think it will fix it fully.

There's literally no reason to be reluctant about it. It's a temporary removal of the .ini file. You can put it back in after you load the sim a single time to check...

Kyle Rodgers

Hi.

Well i did try removing the FSUIPC.ini file out of my sim , set the DC-6 controls up through FSX, did pre startup checks , started engines , and followed the checklist for the engines runup checks and aircraft still creeps by about 1/3rd distance between the nose and main wheels .

i have now restored the FSUIPC.ini and deleted the temp controls i set up in FSX .

This amount of creep is excessive , if it was about 1/2 to 1 full dia of nose wheel i would consider that normal , out of over 500 aircraft in my sim , this as the worst brake creep of them all most dont move an inch , a2a connie moves about 1 to 1.5 times dia of nose wheel .

Until such time as you can figure out what might be the cause of my DC-6 issue, i will use that brake fix v2 on your DC-6 , that stops it moving until brakes are released.

regards alan cottrill.

Alan Cottrill.

3 hours ago, SO666 said:

Until such time as you can figure out what might be the cause of my DC-6 issue

This is an absurd statement, you are the only one with the problem. How can you expect others to find the cause?

• Upvote 1

Dan Downs KCRP

Hi Downscc.

When i wrote that statement i did not think it was that bad , on reflection it does sound bad , i appologise for that , but thats not what i ment , it was just the wrong words .

What i was meaning is , i tried the suggestion of eliminating the FSUIPC as the probable cause , something is causeing this issue , but now wondering what else needs looking into as to the cause .

Also i have a friend who uses P3Dv3 with same amount of creep , hes just not reported it ,and when i mentioned my problem he told me he had not gone to the outside view before so had not noticed , he then tested his and reported back to me he had same issue , there could well be more out there with the issue , but never go to outside view to notice just how much its creeping.

I am now at a loss as to why some have this issue and others dont and if you never go to outside view or have the aircraft positioned on the parking tee bar  prior to engine startup and checks , then they may not notice how bad it is.

regards alan cottrill.

Alan Cottrill.

Hi Alan, I understand and no harm done.  The suggestion to move the fsuipc ini to the desktop is usually to "go to" response for any controller issues and it either solves or isolates the problem to fsuipc setup 95% of the time.  The other 5% of the time is a faulty controller or calibration.

A creep of any distance greater than a foot would certainly be recognized by many. But I'll agree that a slow movement might not be recognized by some.  That isn't the point, the point is you have a problem that is not widely reported and cannot be reproduced by PMDG or a few of us beta testers.  I could imagine a problem with brakes in FSX that does not occur in P3D, but it would be a stretch. 

I assume that when you removed the fsuipc ini from the configuration, you assigned your brakes via the FSX controls and you calibrated your brakes via the windows game controller interface?  It is hard for me to provide much advice on FSX since I abandoned it completely a couple of years ago.  P3D provides a much more robust controller interface that is compatible with DirectX controllers and seldom needs any third party controller middleware.  If you use FSUIPC I presume you do not use third party middleware, could that be an issue?

I assume you have not applied one of those friction correction schemes to FSX that are supposed to make rolling friction more realistic?

Dan Downs KCRP

Hi.

I have added for testing the brakefix v2 mod , and the aircraft did not creep so much as an inch , but i had to remove it , as when i did a push back useing a small amount of reverse thrust , the aircraft could not be steered left or right using rudder control .

Otherwise nothing in the FSX to alter friction from FSX default.

Once all my favourite aircraft are available for P3Dv4 , then i will probably have no choice , but to goto that sim plateform , till that time i will stick with FSX+acceleration.

For your info my controls are:-

CH yoke

CH rudder peddles

CH throttle quad x 2

Saitek trim wheel

saitek radio panel

saitek switch panel

regards alan cottrill.

Alan Cottrill.

Was a bit intrigued by this, so I tested it, not least so the OP could check this against the kind of behaviour being witnessed to see if the amount of rolling forward is any different from what others are experiencing. Couldn't do it on FSX since I only have the P3D version of the DC-6, but here it is in V4.1, with a fifty percent fuel load and no passengers, on the ramp at idle, gradually increasing the throttle to various settings, going up to full throttle, the props are 86 percent forward.

I rolled it up to a prominent line on the ramp with plenty of other slab lines so there would be a noticeable reference for any movement and you can also look at its movement in relation to the other aeroplanes parked behind it too.

Everything here is pretty standard, no FSUIPC controller tweaks, nothing else of that nature which affects handling of add-ons. You can see the brakes can't hold it when the power gets past about 25 percent throttle, but it isn't particularly problematic to me and doesn't really seem that excessive and you can tell from the audio that for most of the length of this video it is sat there at 100 percent throttle and only creeping forward fairly slowly. I'd never be sat there with it revved up like that for long trying to hold it on the brakes, so it doesn't seem that excessive to me. I suppose some of the behaviour would be affected on the real aeroplane by what brakes were fitted, which as far as I know could be several different types, notably either with or without an anti-skid system. 

Anyway, for what it is worth, here's the video of the test:

• Upvote 1

Alan Bradbury

Check out my youtube flight sim videos: Here

Hi Chock.

If mine crept fwd by that small amount i would be happy , here is how my aircraft was loaded:-

Fuel 50%

PMDG DC-6A cargo full

Then set cold and dark.

Then i do the preflight checks that is in the POH

Then started engines as per the POH

Warmed engines at 1000rpm 5 min

Then did the engine runup checks as per the POH.

when i get to the pre taxi checks in the POH

My aircraft creep from engine start up to end of engine runup checks was half the distance from nose to mains.

regards alan cottrill.

Alan Cottrill.

2 hours ago, SO666 said:

Hi Chock.

If mine crept fwd by that small amount i would be happy , here is how my aircraft was loaded:-

Fuel 50%

PMDG DC-6A cargo full

Then set cold and dark.

Then i do the preflight checks that is in the POH

Then started engines as per the POH

Warmed engines at 1000rpm 5 min

Then did the engine runup checks as per the POH.

when i get to the pre taxi checks in the POH

My aircraft creep from engine start up to end of engine runup checks was half the distance from nose to mains.

regards alan cottrill.

Assuming the PMDG DC-6 handles pretty much the same for FSX as it does for P3D (although it might not to be fair), then I'd be inclined to start disabling any add-ons I had via the config file, and then kick them in one by one via that config to see what effect they had if any. A tedious process it might be, but that's probably what would determine the problem.

Alan Bradbury

Check out my youtube flight sim videos: Here

Hi Chock.

Sorry i did not get back sooner , i have been trying to solve a ground handling problem on a freeware grumman_duck that rufused to slowdown ounce you landed on water , theres a few more errors in the aircraft.cfg file.

but they need more time to solve , but i now have better control on water with it.

Anyhow , back to the DC-6 brake creep problem .

What config  file add ons are you refering too, the only add ons in the DC-6 is my VC view mods and a checklist , these where added after the problem was reported , other than that i have only added some different liveries , these wont effect it , other than that aircraft is as it came in the download.

regards alan cottrill.

Alan Cottrill.