Sign in to follow this  
Bachian

Best way to add sceneries, Add-ons or Scenery Library?

After migrating to P3Dv4.1, I started do add some sceneries that does not have a installer using the "Add-ons" method, like modern companies (A2A, FSDT, Flightbeam) are doing. In that way, I don't need to copy effects files to the sim folder, keeping the installation folders cleaner.

But after adding about 15 sceneries this way, I noticed some collateral effect. Some GSX vehicles loose their textures and even some aircraft like A2A and PMDG stoped to load their textures (and became black). Removing all the sceneries xml from the add-ons directory, makes everything comes back to normal.

Now, I'd like to know how you guys are doing. What's the best way to add manually installed sceneries?

1. Use the modern way, through Add-ons folder and xml
2. Use the old way, through Scenery Library

Felipe Bachian
I7 4790K@4.6 / ASUS ATX Maximus VII Ranger / 32GB (4x8) 1866Mhz DDR3 Corsair Vengeance / EVGA GTX 1070 6Gb / 2x 480Gb SSD
Honneycomb Alpha Yoke + CH Throttle Quadrant + Saitek Multi Panel + CH Pro Pedals + Logitech Extreme 3D Pro

It works both ways, via the addon method or scenery library method but NOT both so you need to be careful in this respect.  For instance, FSDT installers use the addon.xml so, if you were not aware of that (and I know you are), some would be looking in the scenery.cfg and not see the entries so would manually install them.  Not good.  So, if you want to see the GSX textures and the aircraft textures, get rid of the addon.xmls and manually install all of your sceneries in the scenery.cfg.  You may get a major issue though with using the SceneryConfigEditor though as P3D codes all of their configs and xml's in UTF-8 or some other coding and, if not in compliance, some or all of your sceneries will no longer load properly so you have to get it coded properly again.  This has happened to me a couple of times where I will have unexplained crashes or scenery not loading properly and I trace it down to the scenery.cfg when I run the Lorby_Si Addon Organizer and run the Check Encoding feature.  I fix that and no more issues.  So there seems to be some special coding that P3D can use.  The only way I was able to fix my problem with the scenery.cfg was delete it and let P3D rebuild a new default, then go into P3D and manually install each scenery.  This is why I have since gone completely to the Addon.xml method and use the scenery.cfg just for the default sceneries, Orbx, and UTX2.  I also constantly check the encoding to make sure the xml or cfg is compatible.

Jim Young | AVSIM Online! - Simming's Premier Resource!

Member, AVSIM Board of Directors - Serving AVSIM since 2001

Submit News to AVSIM
Important other links: Basic FSX Configuration Guide | AVSIM CTD Guide | AVSIM Prepar3D Guide | Help with AVSIM Site | Signature Rules | Screen Shot Rule | AVSIM Terms of Service (ToS)

I7 8086K  5.0GHz | GTX 1080 TI OC Edition | Dell 34" and 24" Monitors | ASUS Maximus X Hero MB Z370 | Samsung M.2 NVMe 500GB and 1TB | Samsung SSD 500GB x2 | Toshiba HDD 1TB | WDC HDD 1TB | Corsair H115i Pro | 16GB DDR4 3600C17 | Windows 10 

I find that I'm less able to precisely control layering of scenery with the add-on.xml method, but that's likely my own ignorance.  Do you have to manually change the layers in each xml so they match exactly the number you want them to fit in the load order?  How do you modify that when you add new scenery?  These are simple solutions with scenery.cfg.  That said, I like the ability to have scenery/texture/effects/sounds/simobjects all in their own unique folders, so I try to use the xml version where it makes sense.

I7-7700k@4.7ghz | 32gb RAM | EVGA GTX1080 8gb | Mostly P3Dv5 (also IL2:BoX, DCS, XP11)

Hi Gridley,

You cannot change the layering control with the Add-on.xml method.

For this reason some developers (like UK2000 for example) recommend using the standard method if you find any problems with their airports using the XML route (Note UK 2000 supports both methods), I am using the XML method with EGKK,  EGSS and London city because it is working on my system without any issues.

Best Regards,

Simbol

13 minutes ago, simbol said:

You cannot change the layering control with the Add-on.xml method.

ok, @simbol - I'm puzzled again. :biggrin:

I added several of the Toposim mesh products via the XML method and I was able to place them exactly where I wanted in the order by specifying the <layer> in the xml file. I added some others the same way and they worked just fine.

I did notice however, if you have a greyed out block of sceneries you cannot insert into that block, you can layer before or after but not within.

Have I missed something?

Vic

RIG#1 - 7700K 5.0g ROG X270F 3600 15-15-15 - EVGA RTX 3090 1000W PSU 1- 850G EVO SSD, 2-256G OCZ SSD, 1TB,HAF942-H100 Water W1064Pro
40" 4K Monitor 3840x2160 - AS16, ASCA, GEP3D, UTX, Toposim, ORBX Regions, TrackIR
RIG#2 - 3770K 4.7g Asus Z77 1600 7-8-7 GTX1080ti DH14 850W 2-1TB WD HDD,1tb VRap, Armor+ W10 Pro 2 - HannsG 28" Monitors

13 minutes ago, DJJose said:

I have complete control of my sceneries thanks to scenery config editor.

https://sourceforge.net/projects/fs-sceditor/

Not compatible and is not recommended to use with P3Dv4 XML add-on installation. Lorby-SI tool is, however, compatible and recommended to use with P3Dv4.

38 minutes ago, vgbaron said:

ok, @simbol - I'm puzzled again. :biggrin:

I added several of the Toposim mesh products via the XML method and I was able to place them exactly where I wanted in the order by specifying the <layer> in the xml file. I added some others the same way and they worked just fine.

I did notice however, if you have a greyed out block of sceneries you cannot insert into that block, you can layer before or after but not within.

Have I missed something?

Vic

Maybe something changed with 4.1, but have you checked your add-on's manager? You might notice that add-on's order changes randomly every time you restart PD3V4.

I haven't checked this on 4.1 though to be honest.

Regards 

Simbol 

I notice that I can't (maybe I can, but I don't know how) control the scenery layer order using add-on.xml method, and that's an disadvantage compared to the Scenery Library method. However, It would really nice to keep scenery/texture/effects/sounds/simobjects outside the main sim folder structure.

I'll try to learn a little bit more about it. I just found this:
http://www.prepar3d.com/SDKv3/LearningCenter/add-ons/add-on_configuration_file_formats.html

Felipe Bachian
I7 4790K@4.6 / ASUS ATX Maximus VII Ranger / 32GB (4x8) 1866Mhz DDR3 Corsair Vengeance / EVGA GTX 1070 6Gb / 2x 480Gb SSD
Honneycomb Alpha Yoke + CH Throttle Quadrant + Saitek Multi Panel + CH Pro Pedals + Logitech Extreme 3D Pro

11 minutes ago, Bachian said:

I notice that I can't (maybe I can, but I don't know how) control the scenery layer order using add-on.xml method, and that's an disadvantage compared to the Scenery Library method. However, It would really nice to keep scenery/texture/effects/sounds/simobjects outside the main sim folder structure.

I'll try to learn a little bit more about it. I just found this:
http://www.prepar3d.com/SDKv3/LearningCenter/add-ons/add-on_configuration_file_formats.html

That is also my personal experience, also be aware of what else the XML method does to PD3V4 in terms of effects, sounds textures, etc, read this:

https://www.avsim.com/forums/topic/523111-change-prepar3d-v4-add-ons-dir/

Best Regards,

Simbol 

This may be off topic - but someone mentioned black textures - was that for acft?  Ive been having a weird issue that sometimes addon acft textures will load black then all other acft textures of that model will load black both in the preview window then in the actual sim. 

I have some sceneries that install via xml and some via the old way. So LM is saying this is an issue?

| FAA ZMP |
| PPL ASEL |
| Windows 11 | MSI Z690 Tomahawk | 12700K 4.7GHz | MSI RTX 4080 | 32GB 5600 MHz DDR5 | 500GB Samsung 860 Evo SSD | 2x 2TB Samsung 970 Evo M.2 | EVGA 850W Gold | Corsair 5000X | HP G2 (VR) / LG 27" 1440p |

2 hours ago, Gridley said:

I find that I'm less able to precisely control layering of scenery with the add-on.xml method

I made the changes in the Lorby_Si Addon Organizer first and saved.  But it will return if you do not also change the layering and areas in the scenery.cfg so I opened the scenery.cfg and reordered the area/layering for all of the addon scenery there (currently just FTX and UTX2 stuff) and made sure they followed the layering I had in the Addon Organizer.  You will see when you open up the scenery.cfg that those addons are not in sequence.  I then save it and now, whenever I open up the Addon Organizer, the areas and layering are exactly the same (before they were being reorganized).  It is NOT the best solution as I now have to edit the Addon.xml Organizer and Scenery.cfg when I add new scenery or they get out of sequence.  I do not think LM techs designed it that way.  But, like Oliver at Lorby_Si said, he is very surprised some commercial developer has not come up with a commercial organizer that does everything.

Submit News to AVSIM
Important other links: Basic FSX Configuration Guide | AVSIM CTD Guide | AVSIM Prepar3D Guide | Help with AVSIM Site | Signature Rules | Screen Shot Rule | AVSIM Terms of Service (ToS)

I7 8086K  5.0GHz | GTX 1080 TI OC Edition | Dell 34" and 24" Monitors | ASUS Maximus X Hero MB Z370 | Samsung M.2 NVMe 500GB and 1TB | Samsung SSD 500GB x2 | Toshiba HDD 1TB | WDC HDD 1TB | Corsair H115i Pro | 16GB DDR4 3600C17 | Windows 10 

14 minutes ago, ryanbatcund said:

Ive been having a weird issue that sometimes addon acft textures will load black then all other acft textures of that model will load black both in the preview window then in the actual sim.

I personally do not think this is caused by the sim.  This is caused by very high settings just like it was in FSX.  I remember loading a lot of MegaScenery (photoscenery) and the loading took up so many resources it would not render the aircraft.  Disabled the photoscenery and the aircraft immediately showed up.  I think many are raising their sliders to the max or almost to the max because there is no fear of an OOM crash with 64 bit software.  However, if you are seeing this with default settings and with NO addons, then there is another issue involved and most likely with the installation of the P3D software.  I have my settings fairly high but have never ever seen black textures with PMDG or any other aircraft installed and I have tons of addon aircraft and scenery installed.  So, one has to ask why it is not happening to me and only happening to others. 

Submit News to AVSIM

2 hours ago, Henry Street said:

Not compatible and is not recommended to use with P3Dv4 XML add-on installation. Lorby-SI tool is, however, compatible and recommended to use with P3Dv4.

It is compatible and I use it regularly with P3d V4.1.

A pilot is always learning and I LOVE to learn.

2 hours ago, Henry Street said:

Wrong -- it is compatible (version 1.1.9) and works great for me. All you need to do is to make sure that your software is not installing both in the scenery.cfg and add-on.xml. Ultimately, I agree that the Lorby tool may be the only option but until LM enforces the xml method, SCE works great (and yes Jim and I disagree about this).

Gigabyte x670 Aorus Elite AX MB; AMD 7800X3D CPU; Deepcool LT520 AIO Cooler; 64 Gb G.Skill Trident Z5 NEO DDR5 6000; Win11 Pro; P3D V5.4; 1 Samsung 990 2Tb NVMe SSD: 1 Crucial 4Tb MX500 SATA SSD; 1 Samsung 860 1Tb SSD; Gigabyte Aorus Extreme 1080ti 11Gb VRAM; Toshiba 43" LED TV @ 4k; Honeycomb Bravo.