Sign in to follow this  
Vali

Are my P3D v4.1 settings really too high?

No sorry don't have it.

David Murden  MSFS   Fenix A320  PMDG 737 • MG Honda Jet • 414 / TDS 750Xi •  FS-ATC Chatter • FlyingIron Spitfire & ME109G • MG Honda Jet 

Fenix A320 Walkthrough PDF   Flightsim.to •

DCS  A10c II  F-16c  F/A-18c • F-14 • (Others in hanger) • Supercarrier  Terrains = • Nevada NTTR  Persian Gulf  Syria • Marianas • 

• 10900K@4.9 All Cores HT ON   32GB DDR4  3200MHz RTX 3080  • TM Warthog HOTAS • TM TPR • Corsair Virtuoso XT with Dolby Atmos®  Samsung G7 32" 1440p 240Hz • TrackIR 5 & ProClip

This is with my initial settings from this post, recorded with OBS to 1080p (this is why there are some stutters) but I was flying at 4K. YT takes some time to get it at 1080p.

Did not why EVGA OSD or Fraps layer did not work, there is only the in-game frame counter.

Valentin Rusu

AMD Ryzen 5900x OC, EVGA RTX 3080 Ti FTW3, DDR4 32GB @3200MHz, Samsung 840 PRO Raid for Win 10 Pro, Samsung 960 PR0 512GB NVMe SSD

Cannot see fps on my iPad.

Did you gain any performance in the end tonight?

A few other things I did not say before.

In PMDG and FSL you can change the refresh rate of the VC displays and the pop up 2D ones.

I use a 2nd screen below my main. My zoom level is around 0.8 this means its not drawing all the VC like in your vid. Your zoom level is very wide.

Do you have chaseplane?

I have VC displays set to just 6 fps and pop up that I have on my lower screen set to 12 fps. All this helps fps even in the NG.

David Murden  MSFS   Fenix A320  PMDG 737 • MG Honda Jet • 414 / TDS 750Xi •  FS-ATC Chatter • FlyingIron Spitfire & ME109G • MG Honda Jet 

Fenix A320 Walkthrough PDF   Flightsim.to •

DCS  A10c II  F-16c  F/A-18c • F-14 • (Others in hanger) • Supercarrier  Terrains = • Nevada NTTR  Persian Gulf  Syria • Marianas • 

• 10900K@4.9 All Cores HT ON   32GB DDR4  3200MHz RTX 3080  • TM Warthog HOTAS • TM TPR • Corsair Virtuoso XT with Dolby Atmos®  Samsung G7 32" 1440p 240Hz • TrackIR 5 & ProClip

Following this with interest.  I must admit, with the OP's GTX 1080 Ti and still less than 30 FPS with P3Dv4.1 something is definitely wonky.

Vu Pham

i7-10700K 5.2 GHz OC, 64 GB RAM, GTX4070Ti, SSD for Sim, SSD for system. MSFS2020

I have basically the exact same setup.  I can manage a consistent 30 FPS (vsync on), with unlimited I can range from 30 up to around 60 in most areas except for DD New York area, Orbx SoCal and the like.  All with PMDG 737.

However, I'm finding that I also get periodic stutters on the ground which I'm finding to be mostly related to Orbx Vector.  You may want to test by disabling that or turning off some features.  You can probably turn down the ASCA cloud quality to minimum.  I don't see a difference in visual quality with that.  In heavy clouds and weather my system certainly takes a beating.

I am on the same platform with a little weaker components and do not have any fps/smoothness issues even with settings a little higher than OP. The main difference seems to be the RAM. I am using 32 GB (@ 3400). As already mentioned 8 GB is probably not enough to push your system to the top level. If you can afford, you should go for 16 or even 32 GB (@ 2800 MHz or higher). I also disable Intel Turbo Max boost 3.0. which give a better usage on all 8 cores. If ITMB is active one core is always at 100% but the other are mostly below 10%.

- Harry 

i9-13900K (HT off, 5.5 GHz, Z690) - 32 GB RAM (DDR5 6400, CAS 34), RTX 3090Windows 11 Pro (1TB M.2) - MSFS 2020 (MS Store, on separate 4TB M.2).

11 hours ago, Nyxx said:

Cannot see fps on my iPad.

Did you gain any performance in the end tonight?

Do you have chaseplane?

Not really, tried all recommendations :D Reducing the settings strangely enough gave me not enough gain and the initial settings looks so nice when and where they work.. :D

But with my high settings, PMDG 777 at EDDF Professional, I had in average 30 or above in the video, which is really OK, no stutters (only OBS introduced in the recording).

Yes, I am using Chaseplane. Regarding the displays fps, I checked with FSLabs, 30, 20, 10, 5 not a visible impact on my side. 

7 hours ago, Anxu00 said:

Following this with interest.  I must admit, with the OP's GTX 1080 Ti and still less than 30 FPS with P3Dv4.1 something is definitely wonky.

Well, at 4K and DL...It really pushes strong :)

6 hours ago, Nightflier101BL said:

I have basically the exact same setup.  I can manage a consistent 30 FPS (vsync on), with unlimited I can range from 30 up to around 60 in most areas except for DD New York area, Orbx SoCal and the like.  All with PMDG 737.

However, I'm finding that I also get periodic stutters on the ground which I'm finding to be mostly related to Orbx Vector.  You may want to test by disabling that or turning off some features.  You can probably turn down the ASCA cloud quality to minimum.  I don't see a difference in visual quality with that.  In heavy clouds and weather my system certainly takes a beating.

In the video with PMDG 777, Vector was deactivated. 30+ fps. At EDDT with 777 I have also around 30fps. But FSLabs A320 at Berlin Tegel Professional, 2 add-ons which are not so well optimized in terms of fps... 20. Same for EGLL. I think I have to live with that for now. This is also one of the many reasons I love the Dash 8 :)

2 hours ago, Nemo said:

I am on the same platform with a little weaker components and do not have any fps/smoothness issues even with settings a little higher than OP. The main difference seems to be the RAM. I am using 32 GB (@ 3400). As already mentioned 8 GB is probably not enough to push your system to the top level. If you can afford, you should go for 16 or even 32 GB (@ 2800 MHz or higher). I also disable Intel Turbo Max boost 3.0. which give a better usage on all 8 cores. If ITMB is active one core is always at 100% but the other are mostly below 10%.

I am using 32 GB @3200 CL14 from G.Skill. And the EVGA 1080TI FTW3 has 11GB, with TEXTURE_SIZE_EXP=10 it goes over 8GB usage of VRAM.

Valentin Rusu

AMD Ryzen 5900x OC, EVGA RTX 3080 Ti FTW3, DDR4 32GB @3200MHz, Samsung 840 PRO Raid for Win 10 Pro, Samsung 960 PR0 512GB NVMe SSD

I spent many hours trying to optimize my settings in P3D v4.1, at Aerosoft's Heathrow, ORBX England and FSL A320. To my surprise, even with nearly all settings maxed out, there is a single setting that makes all the difference: Scenery Complexity. Set this to Sparse and suddenly fps took a huge step up. Note that my autogen distance is on medium and the autogen sliders at Extremely Dense.

Try that.. In heavy sceneries like EGLL, I think is the only solution. Not sure how much we lose visually.. 

Simulators: Prepar3D v5 Academic | X-Plane 1111.50+ | DCS  World  Open Beta MSFS 2020 Premium Deluxe | 
PC Hardware: Dell U3417W Intel i9 10900K | msi RTX 2080 Ti  Gaming X Trio msi MPG Z490 Gaming Edge Wifi | G.Skill 32GB 3600Mhz CL16 | Samsung 970 EVO Plus+860 EVO+850 EVO x 1TB, Western Digital Black Caviar Black x 6 TB Corsair RM1000i Corsair H115i Platinum Fractal Design Define S2 Gunmetal |
Flight Controls: Fulcrum One Yoke Virpil VPC WarBRD Base Virpil VPC MongoosT-50CM Grip, Thrustmaster Warthog+F/A-18C Grip Thrustmaster TPR Rudder Pedals | Virtual Fly TQ6+Throttle Quadrant | Sismo B737 Max Gear Lever | TrackIR 5Monsterteck Desk Mounts |
My fleet catalog: Link                                                                                                                                                       

what does "Scenery Complexity" control exactly?  What do you lose out on with it turned down?

i7 6700K @ 4.6GHz, ASUS Z170-PRO GAMING, 32GB DDR4 2666MHz, 750W EVGA SuperNOVA, 512GB Samsung 960 PRO, 1TB Western Digital - Black Edition
RTX 2080Ti (MSI trio), Corsair H115i - 280mm Liquid CPU Cooler

1 hour ago, IAhawkeyeDDS said:

what does "Scenery Complexity" control exactly?  What do you lose out on with it turned down?

I had the same question..after some googling I found that it controls custom objects (not generic autogen),  for example landmark buildings. I will have to do comparisons with 'Dense' for example to spot the differences. In large cities like London, probably ORBX has placed many custom objects that should be the reason of the bad performance. If its just that, then I'm happy. I'd be interested to see if you and others, can also see that dramatic fps improvement as I do.

Simulators: Prepar3D v5 Academic | X-Plane 1111.50+ | DCS  World  Open Beta MSFS 2020 Premium Deluxe | 
PC Hardware: Dell U3417W Intel i9 10900K | msi RTX 2080 Ti  Gaming X Trio msi MPG Z490 Gaming Edge Wifi | G.Skill 32GB 3600Mhz CL16 | Samsung 970 EVO Plus+860 EVO+850 EVO x 1TB, Western Digital Black Caviar Black x 6 TB Corsair RM1000i Corsair H115i Platinum Fractal Design Define S2 Gunmetal |
Flight Controls: Fulcrum One Yoke Virpil VPC WarBRD Base Virpil VPC MongoosT-50CM Grip, Thrustmaster Warthog+F/A-18C Grip Thrustmaster TPR Rudder Pedals | Virtual Fly TQ6+Throttle Quadrant | Sismo B737 Max Gear Lever | TrackIR 5Monsterteck Desk Mounts |

13 minutes ago, IAhawkeyeDDS said:

Custom scenery may include things like marinas or windmills that disappear if you turn this setting down - it all depends on what level of detail you like to see..

• Upvote 1

Bert

46 minutes ago, Daedalus said:

I spent many hours trying to optimize my settings in P3D v4.1, at Aerosoft's Heathrow, ORBX England and FSL A320. To my surprise, even with nearly all settings maxed out, there is a single setting that makes all the difference: Scenery Complexity. Set this to Sparse and suddenly fps took a huge step up. Note that my autogen distance is on medium and the autogen sliders at Extremely Dense.

What's the use of using AS Heathrow when you use Scenery complexity at Sparse...? Doesn't that setting remove a lot of buildings etc. from the airport? If there is ONE place where there are a LOT of custom objects it is an addon airport! It is the only setting I like to keep full right. I have the other settings a bit more moderate. I rather lose some autogen than custom objects, certainly on airports.

And btw I think it's nicer to set autogen distance a notch higher and autogen itself at very dense otherwise that circle of autogen becomes a bit obvious. But that's personal, of course.

1 hour ago, J van E said:

What's the use of using AS Heathrow when you use Scenery complexity at Sparse...? Doesn't that setting remove a lot of buildings etc. from the airport? If there is ONE place where there are a LOT of custom objects it is an addon airport! It is the only setting I like to keep full right. I have the other settings a bit more moderate. I rather lose some autogen than custom objects, certainly on airports.

And btw I think it's nicer to set autogen distance a notch higher and autogen itself at very dense otherwise that circle of autogen becomes a bit obvious. But that's personal, of course.

I would agree completely with you. I don't like to reduce settings and immersion especially in my add-on airports. However, I didn't see that happen in AS Heathrow. After your comment I wanted to be sure, so I took two screenshots with Scenery Complexity to Sparse and Extremely Dense. I notice that in Sparse I lose vehicle traffic in the airport. Other than that it looks the same to me. I attach the screens:

Scenery Complexity: Sparse 

TGhNmLw.jpg

Scenery Complexity: Extremely Dense

s935tWu.jpg

• Upvote 1

9 hours ago, Daedalus said:

I would agree completely with you. I don't like to reduce settings and immersion especially in my add-on airports. However, I didn't see that happen in AS Heathrow. After your comment I wanted to be sure, so I took two screenshots with Scenery Complexity to Sparse and Extremely Dense. I notice that in Sparse I lose vehicle traffic in the airport. Other than that it looks the same to me. I attach the screens:

Scenery Complexity: Sparse 

TGhNmLw.jpg

Scenery Complexity: Extremely Dense

s935tWu.jpg

I tried the same with DD's NY Airports. At JFK I loose all rwy lights and terminals with "sparse"
So it seems to depend on the developer and the way how buildings and custom autogen is implemented.

2 minutes ago, onurair said:

So it seems to depend on the developer and the way how buildings and custom autogen is implemented.

Just wanted to say the same: I have also seen and read about airports losing buildings with low settings. So I'd like to keep that setting high no matter what!