Sign in to follow this  
Vali

Are my P3D v4.1 settings really too high?

I am getting frustration about smoothness in v4.1, sometimes it is really smooth and at 30 fps or above (when unlimited), sometimes is still smooth at panning at 25 fps but also many times I got stutters and 15-19 fps.. Tried also the 30Hz but when fps are at 20.. does not use anymore.

Even if I do not change anything, I see 30 fps and 5 minutes later, 24 fps in VC... 

To summarize, why I can have the panning so smooth even at 20 fps but sometimes at the same fps is really stuttering?

I am running a 7900X (HT off, 4.7Ghz core 0, 4.5 Ghz all other, 1080 TI FTW3, NVMe SSD 960 Pro, Win 10 Pro, 32 DDR4 @3200Mhz CL14). My settings and result are:

Added> TEXTURE_SIZE_EXP=10.

LprEEMh.jpg

Lto6HfY.jpg

vSCMjpa.jpg

CXQi0UC.jpg

91WNx3P.jpg

ukLTDrj.jpg

LwWA3a1.jpg

YUof3CY.jpg

nTLxJy7.jpg

I am using ORBX, FTX Global, Europe and some regions. In the settings all are checked except in the Transportation.

HOEgrEn.jpg

FSLabs A320, at EDDT, DL ON for scenery also, all lights ON for the A320 too.

0K1oRlP.jpg

Valentin Rusu

AMD Ryzen 5900x OC, EVGA RTX 3080 Ti FTW3, DDR4 32GB @3200MHz, Samsung 840 PRO Raid for Win 10 Pro, Samsung 960 PR0 512GB NVMe SSD

30 minutes ago, Vali said:

Well, turn that off for starters!!! And also lower Level of detail radius and Tesselation factor one or two notches. Set Shadow quality and distance lower one or two notches. Turn off dynamic lighting. FTX Vector can be a killer too. And well, yes, the FSLabs 320... that's the heaviest addon around when it comes to performance.

You are using a lot of high fps hitting setting. 4790K @ 4.5 1070 with only 8GB of RAM.

I would be very interested if you tried mine and posted the same test screenshot. I keep 25 fps even with 4xSSAA. You dont need 4xSSAA with 4k so keep that as you have it.

Turn Shadows quality to halfway forgot what that is by name.

Turn off all that railway stuff, Traffic lights and Tunnel exits.

Also use 512 not 1024 and use 4 cloud layers not 5 in ASv4.

Since 90% of my flights are FSL no surprise at my profile name.

11cf76.jpg
2306e9.jpg

Remember P3D v4 is designed for the future not for today. If you bought FSX when it came out just about no PC could run it. 

Well we can run v4 but best to give it some respect. 

• Upvote 1

David Murden  MSFS   Fenix A320  PMDG 737 • MG Honda Jet • 414 / TDS 750Xi •  FS-ATC Chatter • FlyingIron Spitfire & ME109G • MG Honda Jet 

Fenix A320 Walkthrough PDF   Flightsim.to •

DCS  A10c II  F-16c  F/A-18c • F-14 • (Others in hanger) • Supercarrier  Terrains = • Nevada NTTR  Persian Gulf  Syria • Marianas • 

• 10900K@4.9 All Cores HT ON   32GB DDR4  3200MHz RTX 3080  • TM Warthog HOTAS • TM TPR • Corsair Virtuoso XT with Dolby Atmos®  Samsung G7 32" 1440p 240Hz • TrackIR 5 & ProClip

1 hour ago, Vali said:

I am getting frustration about smoothness in v4.1

Hello

I would start by turning Shadows, Scenery complexity and the Water settings down a Notch,  You wont notice a big difference in visuals but will notice a lift in performance  

The post above me Nyxx (David's) settings in Terrain are good solid settings for visuals and performance,  set them this way for Terrain and then experiment with everything else  

1 hour ago, Vali said:

Also this setting is pretty intense on any system  

And reduce Texture resolution to 1m (saves a lot of CPU cycles vs 7 cm).

Bert

I removed TEXTURE_SIZE_EXP=10.

I tried to reduce one notch the Level of detail radius and Tesselation, also I set Shadow quality and distance lower one notch. I put FTX Vector OFF.

Surprisingly, no significat change in fps on ground. Is like something bottlenecks it.

Regarding the test with 4xSSAA with those settings Nyxx, here they are (ah you edited, will try additional):

4xSSAA, 4K (even if in sim is 1080p), DL ON:

xVt0uJH.jpg

4xSSAA, 4K (even if in sim is 1080p), DL OFF:

ZaIudOJ.jpg

4xSSAA, 1080p, DL ON:

qd1XuED.jpg

4xSSAA, 1080p, DL OFF:

T5xt7ty.jpg

Valentin Rusu

AMD Ryzen 5900x OC, EVGA RTX 3080 Ti FTW3, DDR4 32GB @3200MHz, Samsung 840 PRO Raid for Win 10 Pro, Samsung 960 PR0 512GB NVMe SSD

47 minutes ago, Bert Pieke said:

And reduce Texture resolution to 1m (saves a lot of CPU cycles vs 7 cm).

Bert,

Since I like nothing more than sharp textures I was amazed at you saying use 1m. I thought as I read it " you're crazy":biggrin:

But I thought I would test it and see how crazy you are! :ohmy:

Well I could not see any differences, Well you can but it's very small. I was surprised is an understatement. 

7cm

1m.jpg

1m
7cm.jpg

using less cpu cycles is a win Bert. Thank you, nice find.

David Murden  MSFS   Fenix A320  PMDG 737 • MG Honda Jet • 414 / TDS 750Xi •  FS-ATC Chatter • FlyingIron Spitfire & ME109G • MG Honda Jet 

DCS  A10c II  F-16c  F/A-18c • F-14 • (Others in hanger) • Supercarrier  Terrains = • Nevada NTTR  Persian Gulf  Syria • Marianas • 

• 10900K@4.9 All Cores HT ON   32GB DDR4  3200MHz RTX 3080  • TM Warthog HOTAS • TM TPR • Corsair Virtuoso XT with Dolby Atmos®  Samsung G7 32" 1440p 240Hz • TrackIR 5 & ProClip

I tried all these lower settings, still 20-22 fps on ground and after takeoff.

Reloaded my settings in air, fps jumped from 22 to 28-30fps.

This I do not get it, what bottlenecks it, is more than strange. Something is not consistent...

Valentin Rusu

Delete your config file and your shader 

Start from fresh.

I will post some FPS for you, want to help if I can?

hi vali, i had problems similar to you, stutters and a general lack of smoothness on a pretty high end system. my solution is to use Simstarter NG, it allows you to set every single parameter 

in the sim (and all activesky parameters) and save them to individual configs ready to run. for example: for night flight in the airbus you could reduce the unneccesary stuff (shadows, trees, reflections, water, less cloud layers and reduced cloud draw distance etc) and the resources freed up will give you more smoothness with dynamic lighting on. 

feel like VFR in a prop plane, lower the things that you don't need for that type of flying and save as a new profile!

create as many customised profiles as you need and away you go.

it also allows you to play around with all the known config performance tweaks and save these to each config.

it really has been a gamechanger for me. i also notice you use DXT clouds, i find with my 1070ti that 32bit is smoother but no idea why!

all the best and good luck.

pete

Its frustrating as I just did a fps test with my setting since I dont fly at night I was bothered about what I would see and also using the big no no SSAAx4

31FPS I wish I could help more :blush: it went down to 25-26 with all VC lights on and Dome at BRT. But you should not have Dome light on when taxiing and taking off.

dl.jpg

If you fly near the ground more or fly Orbx you'll notice the difference a lot between 7cm and 1m textures.  Also vector graphics use 7cm - roads coastlines rivers etc

| FAA ZMP |
| PPL ASEL |
| Windows 11 | MSI Z690 Tomahawk | 12700K 4.7GHz | MSI RTX 4080 | 32GB 5600 MHz DDR5 | 500GB Samsung 860 Evo SSD | 2x 2TB Samsung 970 Evo M.2 | EVGA 850W Gold | Corsair 5000X | HP G2 (VR) / LG 27" 1440p |

28 minutes ago, Nyxx said:

Delete your config file and your shader 

Start from fresh.

Davids suggestion is a quick and small step you could try that wont effect any of your Add On's,  You will just need to apply your scenery \ graphic settings again to your preference via Prepar3D > Options  after you delete the Prepar3D.cfg file

So Delete the Prepar3D.cfg file and the Shaders folder  (These files will generate again as default when Prepar3D is launched)

Then launch Prepar3D and test.

To locate these files Insure you Tick the box for  Show hidden files, folders and drives in File Explorer Options

I deleted the config and shaders. At first startup after this, with its default config I have 30 fps. With them set as they were, goes to 20-25, panning is OK.

David, are you using Berlin Tegel Professional from Aerosoft? I do have some clouds also. I am using that with these settings:

dKPzlo3.jpg

Valentin Rusu