Sign in to follow this  
andreadebiase

Throttle reverse axis or decrease throttle?

hi guys, maybe someone can help me here. Not strictly a PMDG product question but as i said in the past, PMDG is all i fly. Ok the issue is this, i have the latest version of P3Dv4.1 and I would like to engage the reverse thrust with an available lever i have on my yoke which is now doing nothing. Currently I am using the keyboard letter R which works very well but is unrealistic and corresponds to the command "decrease throttle quickly" but I cannot assign this to a lever, i can only do so to a keyboard button. There is also another command which i think wasnt there in the older version (or maybe it was....anyway) that reverses thrust and is called "throttle reverse axis" which i can assign easily to this lever on the yoke but most times is unreliable, sometimes works sometimes not and i am not sure why. Maybe i don't know how to use it?

Suggestions? 

I don't think there is a "throttle reverse" axis available.  Their are a few posts in the past couple of months on how to do this for your search.  My throttle has a gate where the levers have to be lifted and then moved into reverse but the reverse segment is not analog but is only a set of switches.  I use FSUIPC to assign those switches to F2 (throttle decre) to move into reverse thrust.  I have not found a simple way to adjust reverse thrust other than adding a little or more followed only by removing reverse, I do not know how to incre/decre/incre the effect.

Dan Downs KCRP

I've set mine up through FSUIPC. It's a bit complicated setup but it works reliably for me. You can assign specific ranges of lever movemeant to do different things. I've set it so the very first part of lever movement has no input assigned. The just below that I have a small range set to send a repeated throttle cut command. Then the rest of the range below that is assigned to the reverse axis.

With NGX I have to move the lever into the throttle cut range just after I close the throttles because I believe it is simulating approach idle by just moving the throttle up a little bit which will not allow reverse selection. Then after touchdown I select reverse with the assigned lever. The 747 and 777 don't seem to need this technique so can usually just go straigt to reverse thrust with those. 

Tom Landry

PMDG_NGX_Tech_Team.jpg

To get a reverser axis to work you need to set it up as Tom said using FSUIPC.

Basically once you've assigned your axis as "reverser" you need to set up a very small range in your axis as "Throttle cut" in set it to repeat while in this range. What this does is making sure your throttles are at idle which is required before engaging the reverse throttle. (I tried to include a screenshot of my FSUIPC setting but could not insert it into my post)

When landing, as soon as you touch down, bring your lever into that range for a second or two then bring your lever down to get full reverse. This is the only way I got my reversers to work in the NGX. BTW this workaround was found by someone else I forgot his name. He should get all the credits and the thanks.

Hope this will help.

Regards

Fouad Chakib

Fouad Chakib

"throttle dec" works great for each switch. Without a switch, you need to have  lever position as idle before the mechanical stop of the lever, and then the movement past idle can be used to activate reverse throttle with fsuipc.

Jouy2Key works really well for this type of thing. I use it so that joystick axis can operate the engine start levers and the landing gear.

Darren Morris

I'm doing something similar with the PFC airliner throttles with the additional reverse levers.  Using FSUIPC, I've added a small range and assigned it to "throttle cut" to repeat, then as I move the levers through that position, the remaining range is set to "throttle decrease quickly".  In the 737, I can deploy the reversers immediately upon touchdown with no issues.

With FSUIPC and a LUA-script one can have some nice feature:

"If you pull the lever into the detent, then things get fancy: the script then immediately turns the existing N1,2,3,4 levers into a reverse axis. You can then apply reverse by moving the lever forward and adjust how much reverse N1 is being applied since it is on an axis. Below 70kts you start reducing the levers back into the detent, the reversers stow, and moving the levers forward again, you get normal forward thrust."

To be very clear: i have read this somewhere on the forums here, but i do NOT have that script (witch i really like).

So, if somebody have an idea how to implement this, please let me know ...

BTW, update on the reverse thrust axis i mentioned earlier, if in P3dv4.1 I go under Controls, Axis Assignments I do have among many other things a "throttle reverser axis" which I can assign to the lever i want to use on my yoke. I said it wasn't working reliably however I was making some test and seems like, at least to me, that become reliable when i move the yoke lever two times, one will lift the REV TH levers on the central pedestal and the second time will actually pull them backward engaging finally reverse thrust.  

Couldn't someone just invent a way so that you press a button that turns on the reverser, and press the same button to turn off the reverser.

Like touch down with the hardware throttle cut, press throttle reverse, and move the hardware throttles up to increase reverse thrust to whatever value you want. Cut throttle and press button again to exit reverse thrust mode.

This way you could do Idle thrust by having your hardware in the idle positon - and press the button.

From what I remember back when I was researching how to do it, as soon as you move the throttles up the reverser cuts out. I thought it was just a limitation of the sim.

I currently have mine (Logitech Saitek Pro Flight Throttle Quadrant) set up a way similar to others above, which does not really allow for idle thrust. My throttle hardware has sort of a stop at the bottom of the axis - you can then push the throttle down further which acts like a button. I have that button assigned to cycle decrease throttle, which acts like a reverse thrust. I have no way to increase or decrease the magnitude of the reverse thrust... it just reverses and throttles up in reverse.

17 minutes ago, Nick Dobda said:

Couldn't someone just invent a way so that you press a button that turns on the reverser, and press the same button to turn off the reverser.

Like touch down with the hardware throttle cut, press throttle reverse, and move the hardware throttles up to increase reverse thrust to whatever value you want. Cut throttle and press button again to exit reverse thrust mode.

This way you could do Idle thrust by having your hardware in the idle positon - and press the button.

From what I remember back when I was researching how to do it, as soon as you move the throttles up the reverser cuts out. I thought it was just a limitation of the sim.

I currently have mine (Logitech Saitek Pro Flight Throttle Quadrant) set up a way similar to others above, which does not really allow for idle thrust. My throttle hardware has sort of a stop at the bottom of the axis - you can then push the throttle down further which acts like a button. I have that button assigned to cycle decrease throttle, which acts like a reverse thrust. I have no way to increase or decrease the magnitude of the reverse thrust... it just reverses and throttles up in reverse.

This is exactly how my Saiteks operate with the "Throttle manager.lua" it works great

On 11/3/2017 at 3:23 PM, Angelo Cosma said:

This is exactly how my Saiteks operate with the "Throttle manager.lua" it works great

I 2nd that!

Yessir, I installed it and it's exactly what I was talking about. Had to dink with it because I run the two throttles with one axis, but it's possible.