Sign in to follow this  
scotchegg

alpilotx HD Mesh v4 Announced

13 hours ago, Susu986 said:

One of them shows off Budapest, and another is Lake Balaton :) As Murmur said, some of them are breathtaking. Especially as you can see the forests enveloping airports, etc.

Yes, of course :-) .... I have some closer ties to those places ...

56 minutes ago, Susu986 said:

I've got it know :biggrin: FlightdeckX, AlpilotX, made you confused 😃 No, totally separate 😃

Correct ... absolutely nothing in common. Those X-es can be a bit misleading (but are quite common in the X-plane world ;-) )

A side note: I will be away a few days on a business trip, so don't be surprised if I do not answer in a timely manner.

30 minutes ago, alpilotx said:

Yes, of course :-) .... I have some closer ties to those places ...

That's cool, I'm from Budapest. :) I don't really overfly Hungary, because the euro autogen yellow-red houses are sort of immersion breaking. And the W2XP packages kill my PC over Budapest with low fps (obviously none of these have to do anything with your mesh). Enjoy your trip!

On ‎18‎.‎11‎.‎2017 at 6:24 PM, alpilotx said:

the final set of screenshots (well, more or less .... maybe it changes a bit) is already online in a google photos album here

How many terrabytes download will that require? Sigh, my GF will complain terribly for not being able to watch TV for that duration ;-) 

Looking Forward to stop space Exploration and get back down to earth for the awesome landscapes

Thanks!

2 hours ago, AnsorgJ said:

How many terrabytes download will that require? Sigh, my GF will complain terribly for not being able to watch TV for that duration ;-) 

Looking Forward to stop space Exploration and get back down to earth for the awesome landscapes

Thanks!

Version 3 was 125GB (unzipped) so I would assume it might be something like 150GB. But as far as I remember the actual download size was less than that due to zip compression.

Sorry Andras if I'm jumping the gun here, but my understanding is that Oscar Pilote discovered a bug in how DSF files were storing numbers, resulting in scenery files being bigger than they need to be. It was due to this fix that they managed to put out some extra areas with X-Plane 11 on the DVD version. I'm guessing it will be the same with HD Mesh v4, so hopefully it's a little smaller.

3 hours ago, tonywob said:

I'm guessing it will be the same with HD Mesh v4, so hopefully it's a little smaller.

I asked Andras the same question in the german Aerosoft forum. So I can give you his answer:

• We have a slightly bigger area covered
  • The mesh resolution is slightly higher than in the v3 Mesh.
  • There is more OSM data

But the file size is smaller.

v3 was 132 GByte, the v4 Mesh 117 GByte.

Sorry for the dumb question, but does this mesh work in the same way as ortho, meaning, can I download it to one HDD and make a shortcut to my Xplane ssd?

Thanks. 

18 hours ago, Longranger said:

I asked Andras the same question in the german Aerosoft forum. So I can give you his answer:

• We have a slightly bigger area covered
  • The mesh resolution is slightly higher than in the v3 Mesh.
  • There is more OSM data

But the file size is smaller.

v3 was 132 GByte, the v4 Mesh 117 GByte.

Thanks for quoting the info ... Yes, these points are all correct and the size you quote should be correct too.

Also, Tony already pointed in the right direction. The smaller size is exactly because the internal structuring of the DSFs could be improved in Lamianrs scenery generator - which I use - thanks to Oscar Pilotes discovery. So, even though, there is definitely more data in most HD Mesh Scenery v4 tiles their overall size is similar or even slightly smaller than with v3.

• Upvote 2

Because of this thread, I decided to give the default scenery a try. As so many people, I have been busy creating orthos, filling up all my free disk space. 

And I must say, unless you know the area very well, the default already does a very good job. Basically everything is in the correct place in Europe (forests, small towns, high rise buildings) and together with VFR landmarks from Simheaven, this produces a very believable VFR environment.

I never understood why Laminar does not include churches and the likes in the default scenery, this is very basic for VFR flying in Europe. 

And the added advantage is that I can activate shadows again without much penalty, somehow this option brings FR down when used with orthos.

My verdict: if I know the region very well, I will continue to use orthos, otherwise waiting for the HD series V4 to compare and free up diskspace.

19 hours ago, jh71 said:

My verdict: if I know the region very well, I will continue to use orthos, otherwise waiting for the HD series V4 to compare and free up diskspace.

The comparison will show quite substantial improvements ... especially where you have forests as the landclass detail representation improves massively.

• Upvote 2

Two places this is going to get a lot of mileage for me are Africa and South America. Both have some pretty breathtaking vistas, and both have shoddy ortho imagery available. I'm a bit like @jh71 above in that areas that I know get ortho, and thankfully the coverage is pretty robust. Everywhere else will do just fine with this. Can't wait to see Kilimanjaro and the surrounding areas!

"No matter how eloquent you are or how solidly and firm you've built your case, you will never win in an argument with an idiot, for he is too stupid to recognize his own defeat." ~Anonymous.