Sign in to follow this  
scotchegg

alpilotx HD Mesh v4 Announced

13 hours ago, JonRD463 said:

Two places this is going to get a lot of mileage for me are Africa and South America. Both have some pretty breathtaking vistas, and both have shoddy ortho imagery available. I'm a bit like @jh71 above in that areas that I know get ortho, and thankfully the coverage is pretty robust. Everywhere else will do just fine with this. Can't wait to see Kilimanjaro and the surrounding areas!

Only problem: I have nowhere said that Africa is covered ... because it isn't .... Everything else will be fine.

11 hours ago, alpilotx said:

Only problem: I have nowhere said that Africa is covered ... because it isn't .... Everything else will be fine.

Oops... :blush: It's what I get for assuming. Ah well, South America is still cool. 

"No matter how eloquent you are or how solidly and firm you've built your case, you will never win in an argument with an idiot, for he is too stupid to recognize his own defeat." ~Anonymous.

Wow!  Superb !

Main Simulation Rig:

Ryzen 5600x, 32GB RAM, Nvidia RTX 3060 Ti, 1 TB & 500 GB M.2 nvme drives, Win11.

Glider pilot since October 1980...

Avid simmer since 1992...

What can I say? I am speechless:laugh:

Vu Pham

i7-10700K 5.2 GHz OC, 64 GB RAM, GTX4070Ti, SSD for Sim, SSD for system. MSFS2020

when will it be available? couldn't wait....

7950X3D / 32GB / RTX4090 / HP Reverb G2 / Win11

Tremendous 

AMD Ryzen 5800X3D, GIGABYTE X570 Aorus Ultra, 32GB DDR4 3600 MHz RAM, 2* 1 TB SSD,1*4 TB M.2, 2*1 TB M.2, (4TB) HDD,RADEON RX 6800XT NITRO+ OC SE 16GB GDDR6, NZXT Kraken X73, NZXT 710 Case, X55 JOYSTICK/THROTTLES, LG 4K monitor, Dell 1080 monitor. Honeycomb Alpha Yoke, Bravo Throttle. Thrustmaster TPR Pedals. Tobii Eye tracker.

Superb, someone buy this man a few beers (or whatever his poison is) :biggrin:

1 hour ago, tonywob said:

Superb, someone buy this man a few beers (or whatever his poison is) :biggrin:

Yes, I am fine with beer ... but it would be hard to best the quality we get in my region. Which is even mentioned in Wikipedia as "The Franconian Switzerland is famous for its high density of traditional breweries." (maybe even the highest density world wide) ... https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Franconian_Switzerland

Craft beer is becoming very popular now, and I'm not complaining about it. I'd say I prefer Polish craft beers, but I'm just biased about it :cool:

Anyway, really looking forward to this. I really like how the forest/woodland areas are much better defined, and the extra definition in the land textures.

1 minute ago, tonywob said:

Craft beer is becoming very popular now, and I'm not complaining about it. I'd say I prefer Polish craft beers, but I'm just biased about it :cool:

,,, Thats normal and also understandable  :smile: (the tiny difference here is, that most of the "craft beer" here has a long tradition ... a not just since the last few years)

Anyway, really looking forward to this. I really like how the forest/woodland areas are much better defined, and the extra definition in the land textures.

Yes, this is one of the big strengths of the HD approach .... I would even dare to say, that this effect is even more important than the improved DEM representation (in this area UHD Mesh has the real edge).

The forest/woodland definition in those photos looks so great. The more I fly Ortho4XP the more I dislike those misplaced trees and forests.

I'm still new to XP11, just curious what is the relationship between UHD mesh and Ortho4XP tiles? Can the two be used together or they're both about mesh/texture so only one can actually get used by XP11?

7950X3D / 32GB / RTX4090 / HP Reverb G2 / Win11

You already suspected, both are mesh based and can not be used together.

For forests on Ortho4XP, I recommend Simheavens: http://simheaven.com/?page_id=14813 . They are based on OSM, and in Europe at least, they are usually a better match.

Or you can use the overlay option in Ortho4XP to create a new layer with the new UHD mesh (after it is available). But then you would be downloading huge amount of data only to create those overlays.

With the latest XP11.10, I stopped using Orthos, I think the default nails it already pretty well, and I expect this to improve a lot with the new UHD mesh. Waiting the release to test my broadband !

17 minutes ago, jh71 said:

With the latest XP11.10, I stopped using Orthos, I think the default nails it already pretty well, and I expect this to improve a lot with the new UHD mesh. Waiting the release to test my broadband !

Careful. Here I am always talking about HD Mesh Scenery ... NOT UHD. Yes, there will be some UHD updates coming too .... but not immediately (rather - maybe - in the first quarter of 2018).

49 minutes ago, FlyIce said:

The forest/woodland definition in those photos looks so great. The more I fly Ortho4XP the more I dislike those misplaced trees and forests.

I'm still new to XP11, just curious what is the relationship between UHD mesh and Ortho4XP tiles? Can the two be used together or they're both about mesh/texture so only one can actually get used by XP11?

If you want to better understand how / where forest information comes from and how it matches with different scenery (Ortho4XP included), read my extensive post on this topic over at x-plane.org (its a pinned thread):