Sign in to follow this  
ErichB

ENVSHADE released.

12 minutes ago, simbol said:

This is also my understanding, I am not 100% sure but I think ENVSHADE is an add-on to ENVTEX.

Regards,
Simbol

It's a stand alone addon. It's just shader mods that work well with Envtex.

A pilot is always learning and I LOVE to learn.

54 minutes ago, Peter Webber said:

With all due respect to the developers, I just find that the more modifications made to P3D v4 with "eye candy" just seem to invite more issues when upgrading the platform. I just try to stick with the basics...maybe mesh and landclass..all this shader stuff is foreign to me and I think brings on grief later on...just my input. Maybe I'm completely wrong and if I can be educated, please do. Regards, Peter Webber.

I thought the same but bought PTA anyway after all the raving reviews. At first I was very disappointed but that was due to all the crappy presets you can download out there... In the end I settled with Matt's own PTA preset and I have to say... I love it! The nicest thing it does imho is how it makes things in the distance a bit blue which makes everything look a LOT more realistic! I also like the deeper shadows and the slightly richer colors. But again, that's with Matt's preset: most other preset totally destroy the graphics.

Anyway, to get back on topic: ENVSHADE is indeed some sort of standalone and locked PTA preset. But obviously you do not HAVE to edit presets in PTA: I simply loaded Matt's preset and I was done. So for me there is no reason to get ENVSHADE right now. I like to decide myself if I want to edit/tweak or not. But I have to add that if I didn't own PTA yet I might as well have gotten ENVSHADE: it is a lot cheaper. (In fact, PTA is a bit overpriced imho.) And I did like PTAbsolute (which was the name of ENVSHADE before they locked and sold it).

34 minutes ago, simbol said:

This is also my understanding, I am not 100% sure but I think ENVSHADE is an add-on to ENVTEX.

Regards,
Simbol

Per their website--5 euros with a discount if you already own ENVTEX. Supposed to be on Simmarket soon.

Forever indebted to the late Michael Greenblatt of FSGS.

11 minutes ago, vp49p3 said:

Per their website--5 euros with a discount if you already own ENVTEX. Supposed to be on Simmarket soon.

They actually changed that, its now discounted for everyone for the next two weeks as it was too complicated to set up conditional discounts for existing Envtex users (according to Maxime)

Full price on simmarket is EUR 5.60, with the discount its EUR 4.80

Not being one who wants or has the skill to spend endless time fiddling with settings in a sim; and never having obtained PTA, this seems like it could be a worthwhile investment for me.

• Upvote 1

Stephen Forsgren

I'd bet that most people who use PTA find a preset and stick with that. EnvShade seems a better choice for the average user as there is less tinkering and as a result less chance for something to go wrong.

• Upvote 2

Here's the incredible amount of settings and sliders in the new app called Envdir:

High Quality vs. High Performance. I'm a bit disappointed about that, although there's for sure more to come in future updates.

screenshot_28jssp4.jpg

With ENVshade enabled, P3D looks like out-of-the box: Now it's grey and colors are bleached out.

I assume, something must have gone wrong on my setup, as it's far away from the screenshots on simmarket - I'm going to restore the original shaders now and will give it another try then.

I'm already missing the combo I've used before: URP1.1, Reshade and P3D-internal HDR. Price: zero $ :)

Regards, Sebastian

I like the idea of PTA, which gives the user the flexibility to either:

1) use a preset (set it and forget it) - These are free and many are available

2) create a preset

3) edit an existing preset

With Envshade, it just seems that you buy a preset and that is it. 

• Upvote 1

spacer.png

REX AccuSeason Developer

REX Simulations

As I understand it, the big difference between PTA and ENSHADE is that ENVSHADE modifies the shaders in real time based on time of day, weather, altitude and so on.

I have yet to find a PTA preset that fits perfectly with all conditions. ENVSHADE is supposed to fix that.

40 minutes ago, fly_edds said:

Here's the incredible amount of settings and sliders in the new app called Envdir:

High Quality vs. High Performance. I'm a bit disappointed about that, although there's for sure more to come in future updates.

screenshot_28jssp4.jpg

With ENVshade enabled, P3D looks like out-of-the box: Now it's grey and colors are bleached out.

I assume, something must have gone wrong on my setup, as it's far away from the screenshots on simmarket - I'm going to restore the original shaders now and will give it another try then.

I'm already missing the combo I've used before: URP1.1, Reshade and P3D-internal HDR. Price: zero $ :)

They made it pretty clear that ENSHADE wont offer any customization options apart from the two profiles. If you used PTA before, its mandatory to restore to the original shaders in PTA first before applying ENVTEX as it will mess up your shaders otherwise

9 minutes ago, cyyt47 said:

As I understand it, the big difference between PTA and ENSHADE is that ENVSHADE modifies the shaders in real time based on time of day, weather, altitude and so on.

I have yet to find a PTA preset that fits perfectly with all conditions. ENVSHADE is supposed to fix that.

PTA also does that also already. (Not modifying the shaders but changing various things depending on the time of day etc.) No difference there. That's just marketing talk. (Afaik.) It simply is a PTA replacement with all the advantages and disadvantages. The only big difference is you can't edit the preset yourself. If you don't like the preset you are out of luck. With PTA you can try different presets (if you don't like to tweak yourself) and pick the one you like. You can't do that with ENVSHADE. And since a lot of people seem to like different presets I think this is a big disadvantage of ENVSHADE.

I think Matt's new upcoming version of PTA will have similar functionality and a much better UI.  So if you already have PTA and can't be arsed to spend the fiver, just hang on a bit longer,.

• Upvote 1

4 minutes ago, cyyt47 said:

I dont think its possible to modify shaders dynamically while P3D is running

• Upvote 2

6 minutes ago, cyyt47 said:

Shaders can't be modified on the fly.  They are built when applying a new preset for the first time when P3D is started.  They affect the look of scenery, light, cloud, etc based on the preset used, given different times of day anyway

• Upvote 2