Sign in to follow this  
ahsmatt7

new build questions....specificslly hard drive

Hello all,

I'm waiting on my 8700k to come in the mail at the moment and when that comes in, I'll finally be able to build my new rig.

I have been holding out on upgrading to p3d v4.1 until I built this computer.

Now that the time has finally come, I have a question about install location.

I just read Robs guide and it said that we shouldn't be installing p3d in its default location and that we should define our own install path.

Does this mean that it needs to be on a completely different drive? Or does Rob literally mean that as long as we install it in another folder other than default, we are ok and it can be installed on the same drive as Windows 10?

This was explained for v3. Does this still even come into play for v4?

Also, I plan on using a NVMe M.2 drive as my boot drive. If I do need to install p3d v4.1 to it's seperate drive, can M.2 drives be partitioned just like a conventional hard drive? I'm assuming it could.

As far as the rig is concerned....

i7-8700k (OCed to hopefully at least 4.8)

Kraken x62 AIO liquid cooler

16Gb Corsair vengeance RGB ddr4 3000mHz cl15

Gigabyte auros z370 gaming 7 mobo

Samsung 960 evo NVMe M.2 ssd 500gb

Samsung 850 evo sata III ssd 250gb

GTX 1080 ti founders edition running at 4k

I should have it built next week. I'll put up performance numbers once I get up and running. I'm sure someone would like to know how this cpu/gpu combo performs for p3d v4.1.

FAA: ATP-ME

Matt kubanda

2 hours ago, ahsmatt7 said:

Does this mean that it needs to be on a completely different drive? Or does Rob literally mean that as long as we install it in another folder other than default, we are ok and it can be installed on the same drive as Windows 10?

As long as you have the space, there's no reason not to have everything on the same drive, particularly if it's an SSD. Giving flight sims their own drive was really only beneficial when using HDDs because of the potential performance reductions as other non-sim files were accessed and the boot drive became more fragmented. Installing to a path outside of the Program Files folders avoids any potential problem with permissions, which have caused issues for people in the past.

i7-6700k | Asus Maximus VIII Hero | 16GB RAM | MSI GTX 1080 Gaming X Plus | Samsung Evo 500GB & 1TB | WD Blue 2 x 1TB | EVGA Supernova G2 850W | AOC 2560x1440 monitor | Win 10 Pro 64-bit

3 hours ago, vortex681 said:

As long as you have the space, there's no reason not to have everything on the same drive, particularly if it's an SSD. Giving flight sims their own drive was really only beneficial when using HDDs because of the potential performance reductions as other non-sim files were accessed and the boot drive became more fragmented. Installing to a path outside of the Program Files folders avoids any potential problem with permissions, which have caused issues for people in the past.

Thats a relief. It does make sense in terms of needing to do it for HDDs but not for SSDs. I remember a few people saying that SSDs don't get fragmented because of just how the architecture works. 

Just to confirm what you said, I can install P3d v4.1 on the same SSD as windows and I don't need to partition it as long as I install P3d v4.1 in its own location outside of the default program files location. Is my logic correct?

Matt kubanda

7 minutes ago, ahsmatt7 said:

Is my logic correct?

Yes, that should be fine.

i7-6700k | Asus Maximus VIII Hero | 16GB RAM | MSI GTX 1080 Gaming X Plus | Samsung Evo 500GB & 1TB | WD Blue 2 x 1TB | EVGA Supernova G2 850W | AOC 2560x1440 monitor | Win 10 Pro 64-bit

25 minutes ago, vortex681 said:

Yes, that should be fine.

appreciate the help!

Matt kubanda

Partitioning drives is pretty old school theses days, no need for it. If you want a new drive letter for what ever reason, buy another drive.

i7-13700KF, 32gb DDR4 3200,  RTX 4080, Win 11, MSFS

3 hours ago, Dave_YVR said:

Partitioning drives is pretty old school theses days, no need for it. If you want a new drive letter for what ever reason, buy another drive.

Fair enough!

Matt kubanda

And lastly,  it is nice and clean if you have the OS on one drive and P3D on another, if for no other reason, than that you can keep things neat and tidy... Think of upgrading drives over time..  :cool:

Bert

On 11/1/2017 at 7:11 AM, vortex681 said:

As long as you have the space, there's no reason not to have everything on the same drive, particularly if it's an SSD. 

I have operated under this belief until recently when I began noticing pauses when flying thru very dense scenery in the Majestic Dash 8, for example flying over the LA Area on the way to San Diego.   It seemed to start, not sure, when I added FTX OpenLC NA over top of FTX Southern California.  It only happens in places that are ultra complex so I put up with it, but since buying my first Samsung 840 I"ve always done OS and sim on the same drive, and further only use this drive for simming only--no internet surfing, no MS Office, no mail, and as a result no anti-virus software and Defender is disabled.  I have yet to have any problems from this practice and it makes cloning/imaging a snap to be able to restore in the event of a problem that seems to possibly need a reinstall.

Because of these new hiccoughs I'm inclined to think about going w/ the new PCIe SSD that boast 5-6x the thru-put which sounds fantastic.

Noel

System:  9900K@5.0gHz@1.23v all cores, MSI MPG Z390M GAMING EDGE AC, Noctua NH-D15S w/ steady supply of 40-60F ambient air intake, Corsair Vengeance 32Gb LPX 3200mHz DDR4, Sabrent NVMe 2Tb x 2, RTX 4090 FE, Corsair RM 850W PSU, Win10 Pro, LG Ultra Curved Gsync Ultimate 3440x1440, TCA Boeing Edition Yoke & TQ, Cessna Trim Wheel, RTSS Framerate Limiter w/ Edge Sync for near zero Frametime Variance achieving ultra-fluid animation at lower frame rates.

Aircraft used in A Pilot's Life V2:  PMDG 738, Aerosoft CRJ700, FBW A320NX, WT 787X

Not so relevant these days.

But just to be awkward... always was in the default location for me. Never abided by the advice and never had any issues.  Not that some couldn't of course. 

I decided to put my p3d v4 install on my pci-e NVMe M.2 ssd

It's a thing of beauty!

I just installed p3d outside of the program files folder. All seems well at this point.

Matt kubanda