Sign in to follow this  
snowyuk

i7 5930k 6 core to an i7 6950x 10 core, well that was daft

This evening I took out my 5930k and replaced it with my new 6950x. I also have a 1080 ti ftw3 graphics card and 32mb of 2400 ddr4 so it is not a crawling machine. The 5930k was o/c to 4.5ghz and I managed to get the 6950x up to 4.2ghz on first attempt. Before I removed my old chip I tested X-Plane 11 with it, all settings maxed out with me sat in the A2A 182 in San Francisco int, looking out of the window showing 25 FPS on my msi afterburner readout.

i swapped the chips and set the exact same situation up and behold, 19 FPS

any ideas please.

thanks

ps. Water cooled system and no cores showing over 30 - 40% load

A2A 182... X-plane???

• Upvote 2

Marques

Ryzen 7 7700x@5.4Ghz | Arctic Liquid Freezer II 360| RTX 4070 ti | 32GB Ram @5600MHZ| Crucial MX 200 M.2 500GB |Crucial MX200 SATA 500GB | HTC Vive | XIAOMI 43" 4k TV | Acer Predator 27" G-Sync | AOC 32" Freesync

At the moment, there is no real benefit to have more then 4 cores, except for preloading scenery tiles (which happens in the background, and there is more benefit to have enough memory 16GB or more). My 4 core machine runs around 50% with lots of AI enabled, this means only 2 of the cores are utilised during the flight. I reach 100% utilisation during startup. So I guess you see faster startup, the bottle neck would be the HDD or SSD. For now, in X-Plane, one core does most of the work, while the rest is waiting for it to finish. Then you have a lower O/C on the new processor, which means it runs slower. Nothing unexpected here.

And did you also change the memory speeds, bus speeds etc to match that new O/C? 

Did you delete the preferences so X-Plane can recreate them ?

I would try without overclock and a fresh recreated preferences and see what this gives, then work your way up from there. 

O/C can be beneficial, but you need to balance your system very carefully, and know exactly what you are doing. For example, you can put your cycles higher, but lower the bus speed - because you use a different multiplier - in the process resulting in an overall slower system.

I quit overclocking long time ago, current processors should have ample speed to run X-Plane at acceptable speeds (more then 25FPS).

6 hours ago, dmarques69 said:

A2A 182... X-plane???

Sorry about that, wrong Cessna, I meant the stock X-Plane one.

2 hours ago, jh71 said:

At the moment, there is no real benefit to have more then 4 cores, except for preloading scenery tiles (which happens in the background, and there is more benefit to have enough memory 16GB or more). My 4 core machine runs around 50% with lots of AI enabled, this means only 2 of the cores are utilised during the flight. I reach 100% utilisation during startup. So I guess you see faster startup, the bottle neck would be the HDD or SSD. For now, in X-Plane, one core does most of the work, while the rest is waiting for it to finish. Then you have a lower O/C on the new processor, which means it runs slower. Nothing unexpected here.

And did you also change the memory speeds, bus speeds etc to match that new O/C? 

Did you delete the preferences so X-Plane can recreate them ?

I would try without overclock and a fresh recreated preferences and see what this gives, then work your way up from there. 

O/C can be beneficial, but you need to balance your system very carefully, and know exactly what you are doing. For example, you can put your cycles higher, but lower the bus speed - because you use a different multiplier - in the process resulting in an overall slower system.

I quit overclocking long time ago, current processors should have ample speed to run X-Plane at acceptable speeds (more then 25FPS).

Thanks for that, I can understand the above. Is there a config file that can be deleted so it can generate a new one?

3 hours ago, snowyuk said:

Is there a config file that can be deleted so it can generate a new one?

Open the X-Plane  directory

Go to the Output folder / then Preferences folder.

Make a backup of your preference folder.

Delete all the files inside the /Preferences folder

Restart X-Plane (this will re-create preferences)

Quit

From backup, copy your joystick/keyboard assignments file back into the preference folder.

Restart XP and configure settings

Windows 11 | Asus Z690-P D4 | i7 12700KF 5.2GHz | 32GB G.Skill (XMP II) | EVGA 3060Ti FTW Ultra | TrackIr v5 | Honeycomb Alfa + Bravo