Sign in to follow this  
himmelhorse

FS2004 Install problems. Urgent help needed

Hello all,

Apologies for this thread,

I have an incredibly unusual problem, at least for me. I flew last night  FS2004 and all was normal. I started a post requesting a good add on installer after my flight yesterday, but as said, all was normal when I turned off the computer.

Today I tried to fly with FS2004 and when I clicked on the shortcut icon nothing happened

I tried the FS registry fixer and that indicated success. 

I clicked on the shortcut icon again and the same result ... FS9.exe the same.

Next I went into the regedit route .... and path was ok. Tried again ... same result.

I uninstalled FS2004 ... reformatted the SSD and reinstalled FS2004 ... Installation appears normal, but, still no response to clicking on the shortcut icon.  I then went into the directory on the SSD and clicked on the FS9.exe. same problem.

FS registry fixer again ... same problem ... followed that with regedit and followed that process again with no resolution ... path correct again. still no response

Uninstalled, reformatted the drive again, reinstalled FS2004,  installation appears normal but again ,no response to shortcut or fs9.exe ...FS registry fixer again and then again the regedit route. Path still correct.

Being both a quick learner and smarter than the average tall building, I uninstalled yet again and then set up a new FS9 folder on another SSD. Reinstalled FS9, installation again appears normal and still no reaction to either the shortcut or the FS9.exe. It would appear that the average tall building is actually smarter than I am but my ego will never admit that.

On each occasion, what appears to be the full FS9 installation is in the right folder and looks normal.

For further information, I have tried the original 4 cd Install, a DVD installation and one copied long ago to a USB Thumb drive ... all with the same results.

After the initial installations, I tried to install the 9.1 update and each attempt with every re-install I was rewarded with an "error 34"

After much googling, I can find no other solutions than the ones I am currently trying.

I feel foolish because I have given quite a few people advice about how to install FS9, the update and followed by the unmentionable "no CD key" ... oops. This is the first time I have EVER had a problem with the installation process.

Is there anyone here who is demonstrably smarter than either myself, or, the above referenced building who can help me out here. I have no idea where to turn and I actually think that the problem is a Windows 10 one although every one of my other sims behave normally.

Regards

Tony Chilcott

Tony Chilcott.

My System. Motherboard. ASRock Taichi X570 CPU Ryzen 9 3900x (not yet overclocked). RAM 32gb Corsair Vengeance (2x16) 3200mhz. 1 x Gigabyte Aorus GTX1080ti Extreme and a 1200watt PSU.

1 x 1tb SSD 3 x 240BG SSD and 4 x 2TB HDD

OS Win 10 Pro 64bit. Simulators ... FS2004/P3Dv4.5/Xplane.DCS/Aeroflyfs2...MSFS to come for sure.

Don't install FS2004 in Program files directory. Keep it well away in a partition. You should always do a back-up so that there is less work to do when it becomes necessary to recover.

As for win10? Frankly it is more trouble than its worth. It causes no end of problems for simmers.

Vololiberista,

Thanks for your response mate.

I have to tell you that, that is always the advice I offer others. In all my years of flight simming, I have never installed into anything other than its own directory in its own drive. I am very aware that it creates many problems. So ... that is NOT my problem.

Just a little further information too, is that during uninstall I delete (or copy to elsewhere) my flight simulation files. I also delete FS9 folder in Appdata/roaming/microsoft/fs9. Also uninstalled is each and every piece of software, flightsim related, I find in control panel/uninstall.

As for back up, I have found that every time I do this, it saves me a heap of time in installation, but... I always have problems trying to sort the mess out afterwards. This is due to my inabilities with the procedures rather than the system.  In the long term though, I always find it essentially quicker and easier to just re-install everything.

Win 10 has only presented one problem for me and that was pre Win 10 drivers for my Saitek devices. I have used this OS now, for in excess of two years and my problems are nearly always power fail related.

I have no idea what this problem is or how I can fix it but, given a lot of installs/uninstalls using different media, different drives and all with the same unprecedented (for me) end result is mystifying to say the least.

Thanks anyway mate, I appreciate the response

Regards

Tony

Tony Chilcott.

My System. Motherboard. ASRock Taichi X570 CPU Ryzen 9 3900x (not yet overclocked). RAM 32gb Corsair Vengeance (2x16) 3200mhz. 1 x Gigabyte Aorus GTX1080ti Extreme and a 1200watt PSU.

OS Win 10 Pro 64bit. Simulators ... FS2004/P3Dv4.5/Xplane.DCS/Aeroflyfs2...MSFS to come for sure.

It sounds as if your old shortcut exe could be a problem, have you tried regedit to look in the registry for and old exe?. Make a backup of the registry before any changes, you can line item delete fs9 items with the next function that will search out fs9., just a passing thought , I am a novice . so be careful ! .

You could try :

1) Disabling the "smart screen" options from Windows 10

2) Try right-click on the shortcut, run as administrator. 

Jude Bradley
Beech Baron: Uh, Tower, verify you want me to taxi in front of the 747?
ATC: Yeah, it's OK. He's not hungry.

X-Plane 11 X-Plane 12 and MSFS2020  🙂

System specs: Windows 11  Pro 64-bit, Ubuntu Linux 20.04 i9-9900KF  Gigabyte Z390 RTX-3070-Ti , 32GB RAM  1X 2TB M2 for X-Plane 12,  1x256GB SSD for OS. 1TB drive MSFS2020

3 hours ago, crl57 said:

It sounds as if your old shortcut exe could be a problem, have you tried regedit to look in the registry for and old exe?. Make a backup of the registry before any changes, you can line item delete fs9 items with the next function that will search out fs9., just a passing thought , I am a novice . so be careful ! .

That sounds plausible, one should always seek the easiest answer. If the shortcut is broken you could reinstall till eternity. Try to start FS9 from the FS9 installation folder directly. If it works, make a new desktop shortcut.

Other ideas: Combatibility mode? Driver related issues? Also read something about a "DirectPlay" feature that must be activated as a standard Windows feature ("Legacy Components")? And some "MSCVR70.DLL" sometimes needed to be installed into "sysWOW64". But these are just information given otherwise (German), so do not charge me on them.

Best regards,

Christian Kelter

Hello again guys,

This is still not working.  I have just completed yet another uninstall and reinstall.

I have noted that:

1. in users/AppData/roaming/Microsoft ... there is NO FS9 folder. Therefore no config file

2. Regedit is as follows:

(Default)               REG_SZ     (value not set)

AppExePath         REG-SZ       G:\FSVIIII.1\fs9.exe

Applicationld         REG_SZ      {d6ad5ee7-102d-43fa-ab5f-dc58608ada7b}

ConfigApplicati...   REG_SZ      G:FSVIIIII.1

ConfigGDFBinar... REG_SZ      C:\Windows\system32\GameUXLegacyGDFs.dll

ConfigInstallType   REG_SZ      3

Description             REG_SZ      Microsoft Flight Simulator 2004

3. I have checked Users/Documents    noted NO Flight Simulator files.  I have then copied and pasted that file (copied and saved earlier) back into the Documents folder.

Subsequently rebooted (should rebuild FS9 config files)

Rechecked all of the above (still no fs9 folder in app data)

I think therein (no FS9 folder) is my problem, but how on earth can I fix it??

Thanks again for the help and suggestions so far

Regards

Tony

Tony Chilcott.

SMEE again,

Small update.

No further progress with getting FS9 up and running but,,,,

I have created a folder and inserted the original saved FS9 folder into the AppData/roaming/mMicorsoft folder.

I cannot remember the actual folder name (I think it was"Flight Simulator Files") and so named it in this instance. Into that folder I put the saved version which is in a folder called FS9.

Rebooted again after running FS registry fixer but still no changes.

I then changed the Flight simulator files folder to just "Fllight Simulator" and repeated the  whole process. No changes.

I then took the FS9 folder out and replaced it into the microsoft folder. then deleted the Flight Simulator folder and repeated the whole process with no positive changes.

Hmmmm

Regards

Tony

Tony Chilcott.

9 hours ago, himmelhorse said:

2. Regedit is as follows:

(Default)               REG_SZ     (value not set)

AppExePath         REG-SZ       G:\FSVIIII.1\fs9.exe

Applicationld         REG_SZ      {d6ad5ee7-102d-43fa-ab5f-dc58608ada7b}

ConfigApplicati...   REG_SZ      G:FSVIIIII.1

ConfigGDFBinar... REG_SZ      C:\Windows\system32\GameUXLegacyGDFs.dll

ConfigInstallType   REG_SZ      3

Description             REG_SZ      Microsoft Flight Simulator 2004

Isn't there a backslash missing after the G:? And one Roman "I" too much, 5 instead of 4 (besides the fact that I'd rather make IX=9)? Or am I embarassing myself?

Best regards,

Christian Kelter

Just a thought again, app data/roaming /microsoft/ fs9/ can someone send you a copy of their flight simulator folder with the config etc and see if that would fire it up? i run windows seven pro.

Hello all,

Another update.

Did another uninstall and reinstall after yet another format.

Before I did that however:

1. I pasted the unmentionable 9.1 patch and was able to run the programme (error34),

2. Ran fs registry repair - OK

3. Did the regedit bit all ok ( Paulopp - the config error you pointed out was actually a typo ... my apologies (incidently...that line does not appear in my latest install.)

4. I tried to install FSUIPC. which was successful but into an "unknown" programme ... it is actually installed into FSVIIII and appears to be quite normal and accessible.

5, Still unable to run FS.1 update (error 34).

Install was uneventful... 

I am back to not able to enter the programme. Still not able to run update 9,1.

I have noted this time however when, after running, fs registry repair (successfully) and then running regedit that after I get frtom hotkey machine/software/microsoft that there is no Microsoft games folder. I went into edit...find...microsoft games and eventually it came up with that folder between camera codec pack and mirapack. It definately was not there before the "find" exercise. Once located though, all the information, particularly the fs9,exe path looks correct.

The next discovery came when I checked out,

1. "flight simulator files" in  the documents folder was not there and,

2. in appdata/roaming/microsoft there was no microsoft games folder (unsure if it is supposed to be there) and there was no folder with fs9 config folder.

I have named this folder "fs9" and pasted it into the microsoft folder as mentioned above.

After pasting that folder, I am still unable to either update to 9.1 nor am I able to access FS9 either through the desktop icon nor the fs9.exe in FS9. So nothing really is changing. As previously can somebody send me a a copy of their fs9 config or at least let me know what the folder structure (ie names of folders etc) is. Also vexing is the fact that the Microsoft games folder is invisible (hidden) in the regedit procedure and I would love to know if this is normal.

Any ideas after this update?

Also, what exactly is special with the fs9.1 update which is not upgradable through sceneries, utilities and aircraft addons?  I guess what I am saying is that if it is really unnecessary, I could probably live without the update.

Regards

Tony

Tony Chilcott.

9 hours ago, himmelhorse said:

The next discovery came when I checked out,

1. "flight simulator files" in  the documents folder was not there and,

2. in appdata/roaming/microsoft there was no microsoft games folder (unsure if it is supposed to be there) and there was no folder with fs9 config folder.

It seems to me that you've missed a vital step in the install process - which is to launch FS2004 9.0 after install so that it can build the scenery databases, folder locations, registry entries etc. After starting a flight in the C172 at KSEA and buzzing the tower, close FS2004 and then update to 9.1, then apply the 9.1 patch. After that FS9 should launch OK, then you can start installing FSUIPC and all your other essentials.

I have just glanced through this entire thread but don't see any mention of the fact that with Microsoft's security updates it is no longer possible to run the game in the conventional way using disc 4 in the CD drive.

It may be that this is taken "as read" but if not I recommend a read of:
http://calclassic.proboards.com/thread/7470/fs2004-start-read

John

My co-pilot's name is Sid and he's a star!

http://www.adventure-unlimited.org

John,

Thanks mate for your help.

I really do not know how many times in this thread I have mentioned the unmentionable no CD patch but I firmly believe that this is not my problem at the moment.

I think though, that I am looking at a full uninstall and reinstall of Windows 10 (after format) I have no idea why the 4 CD, DVD and USB thumbdrive (all of which used to give me a good install) now consistently and uniformly do not give me a flight simulator files folder in Documents, an fs9 folder in AppData, nor a visible microsoft games folder in Regedit/machine/microsoftm etc  

I think this is where my problems lie but I am struggling to come to grips with the fact that I turn a good software off one night and all this s..t happens and fails to respond to the usual registry and regedit fixes and a full reinstall after format creates all these crazy things when I turn it back on in the morning. 

If some kind person could possibly give me an example or the actual names and folder structures involved in this process I would really appreciate that.

I actually have moved on somewhat in that I have used a fully configured FS9 Backed up programme, deleted the Fs9.exe and replaced it with the FS9.1(update) no CD patch and then ran the update. That told me it was already installed and I instantly thought I  was on a winner.  However that only loads to the flash screen and then stops. I then googled that problem and addressed all the proffered there to no avail. 

This has to be a Windows problem I think. 

Thanks again to you all for yoursuggestions and help but the problem remains unresolved.

Regards

Tony

Tony Chilcott.

A32xx

Mate, if I could follow your outlined procedure, I would not have my problem.  After the install I click (as always) on "run" 

This has the same effect of clicking on the shortcut and the fs9.exe ... NOTHING.

Again,I think folder structure is one of the problems. I do not know if there should be a folder called microsoft games in which the FS9 folder is contained. ie AppData/roaming/Microsoft/??Microsoft Games???/fs9 or should it just be AppData/roaming/Microsoft/fs9.  Regardless of this is the fact that when I delete the fs9 folder in that structure, it is not being recreated in the re-installation of fs9. In the same manner, the Flight Simulator Files folder is not being created on the re-installation. I do not know if the FS9 config folder should be there or not until after I can actually run the programme, but logic tells me that the folder should be created even if the fs9.config files are not (at least until after running the programme) This is why I am asking for the real world file/folder structure from a working programme. At the moment I am putting those folders and their contents into the programme AFTER the install and this is something I have never had to do in the past.

For everyones further clarification my procedure is unerringly,  as follows:

1. Uninstall (Control panel/uninstall programmes/Microsoft flight simulator 2004/uninstall.

2. AppData/roaming/microsoft/fs9...copy folder to desktop....delete

3. Documents/Flight simulator Files...copy folder to desktop...delete

4. Original FS2004 SSD... delete fs9 folder and contents.

5. Format the SSD and then create "FS2004" folder

6. Install FS2004 into the FS2004 folder.

7. After install ... run.

8. Exit and run fs9.1 update.

9. Unmentionable patch inserted... delete the original shortcut to recycle bin ... create new shortcut and copy to desktop.

10. Run programme from fs9.exe, exit and run from desktop shortcut. I then delete my backup copy of FS9 and copy the Flight simulator folder into Documents and replace. Delete the desktop Flight Simulator Files.

11. Install VOZ 1.8 scenery ...Run activate in scenery library... exit 

I then install other individual sceneries and run each before installing the next one.

This is my unwavering install procedure and thus far it has worked very well for me.

If someone can fault this procedure I am very happy to listen. With this install effort though, I consistently  grind to a sudden halt with step 7.

I hope that clarifies things a little further.

Regards

Tony

Tony Chilcott.