Sign in to follow this  
himmelhorse

FS2004 Install problems. Urgent help needed

Your above procedure, to my eyes, will not work because it appears you are trying to run FS9 from disc at stage 7. You can get round this by temporarily disabling the Windows update that limits this or temporarily using the modified file for FS9. Note that this is different to the FS9.1 one. See the second posting in the page I linked you to.

I doubt it would make any difference but one other thing I would do if trying to make a clean start would be to remove all registry entries referring to FS.

This is quite easily done using regedit, after making a backup run a search for "FS9" and delete the entry it finds. Repeat, repeat, repeat until there are no more. Do the same for any other possible phrases like "Flight Simulator" or "FS2004" but I think the first will probably cover all.

This will ensure there is no dross in there crippling you.

John

My co-pilot's name is Sid and he's a star!

http://www.adventure-unlimited.org

John,

Thanks for your reply mate and I guess my bad.  

A comment to your reference to step 7 

a. if using the 4 CD install one cannot get fs9 to run without the CD in place.

b. If using the DVD I remove the DVD, delete the fs9.exe  and install the no CD patch, create a short cut and copy/paste that to Desktop. Only then do I run the programme and I always run it from the short cut and also the fs9.exe. I have twice now actually rebooted after the first attempt to run the programme using the 4th CD to launch FS9. The second time I used the DVD and rebooted after the attempt to use the fs9.exe icon and then the fs9 no CD patch icon after the install. (not the fs9.1 update icon) Reboot and retry.

That same procedure is carried out if I use the USB Thumbdrive for installation.

Also please note that once I change to the fs9.1 update I can launch fs9 BUT... It freezes at the splash screen. If I copy all my fully booted FS9 with all my utilities and sceneries, I get the same reaction after installing the to the fs9.1 no CD patch. The fs9.1 update is already installed.

I said my bad because on reflection this could have created the doubt.

Again though I do not think this is my problem.

I shall do another complete uninstall after doing and following your suggestion re the regedit. I remain a little concerned that I still cannot find in the ladder "Microsoft Games until i use find/"microsoft games" and then it comes up as normal under the microsoft camera folder which is where I would normally expect to find it.

Anyway, I shall start uninstall/reinstall process for the TWELFTH and probably final time before I attact Win 10 uninstall/install.

This is really driving me crazy.

Regards

Tony

Tony Chilcott.

My System. Motherboard. ASRock Taichi X570 CPU Ryzen 9 3900x (not yet overclocked). RAM 32gb Corsair Vengeance (2x16) 3200mhz. 1 x Gigabyte Aorus GTX1080ti Extreme and a 1200watt PSU.

1 x 1tb SSD 3 x 240BG SSD and 4 x 2TB HDD

OS Win 10 Pro 64bit. Simulators ... FS2004/P3Dv4.5/Xplane.DCS/Aeroflyfs2...MSFS to come for sure.

I think, from reading elsewhere, you need to run the basic FS9 once before doing the upgrade to 9.1, so I would advise doing that step by step. So your inital target should be a fully working 9.0 first, but without any add-ons.

Once you have done that I think you will have to reinstall the original FS9.exe file as I don't think the upgrade works with a modified one.

Also, and I am sure this has been said (but am just slightly concerned by something in your last post) do not install to the default path - something like C:\Flight Simulator 9 will do fine.

Do not give up yet, there is another way to install, if you have a complete backup of your previous install. Just install FS9.0 from disc and then copy your backed up old version over it. The installation makes sure all your registry entries are correct and any user file entries get created automatically the first time you run the game. I have moved mine from machine to machine that way a few times over the years.

John

My co-pilot's name is Sid and he's a star!

http://www.adventure-unlimited.org

John,

Thanks mate, 

I have tried all of that.   I have never installed fs9 into anything other than its own folder in its own HDD and for the last three years into its own SSD.

Also, as said before, If I could run fs9 either with or without update or the no CD software, I would not have this problem and again, as stated before, I have already copied a fully added on fs9 into that directory and replaced all files (this gave me access to FS2004 all the way up to the splash screen where it freezes. Googling that problem takes me back to the regedit route.

I am in the process, as we speak, of a full uninstall/format/re-install of Win 10.

Regards

Tony

Tony Chilcott.

My System. Motherboard. ASRock Taichi X570 CPU Ryzen 9 3900x (not yet overclocked). RAM 32gb Corsair Vengeance (2x16) 3200mhz. 1 x Gigabyte Aorus GTX1080ti Extreme and a 1200watt PSU.

OS Win 10 Pro 64bit. Simulators ... FS2004/P3Dv4.5/Xplane.DCS/Aeroflyfs2...MSFS to come for sure.

Do you have problems installing any other software programmes atm? I'm beginning to suspect this may be a hardware failure rather than Win10 (considering your initial statement of things working one day and not the next). Just throwing thoughts about.

Hello all,

Update.

C16thFoxe, I am not really installing anything other than FS2004 however, other than the fs9.1 update, all the addons are going into fs2004 ok .. well it appears that way.

Domvc10,

Whilst I appreciate your input, I think you are the second or third person to point out this 2015 thread which is not relevant if one is using the No CD path. I believe though, this had a huge impact on FS2004 when first discovered, so it is not really surprising that it springs to mind with any FS2004 install problems. Happily for me though,  it is not a problem (nor has it ever been) for me.

With regard to the update, I have uninstalled (without formatting) Win 10. This has proven to be a bad install in a lot of ways BUT, FS2004 is installing normally again. It would appear, as I said earlier that Win OS is/was suspect

SO ... It looks increasingly like I will spend the rest of my day trying to format my C Drive SSD, reinstall Win 10 and fit it out with all the usual antivirus etc programmes and hopefully report complete success with the new install of FS2004. I say new install, despite the fact that I have it up and running. I just want it to be the perfect sim it has always been for me.

Hope to get back to you soon guys.  Thanks again for all.

Regards

Tony 

Tony Chilcott.

Hello to all,

Well, problem is solved.  It was definitely a Windows problem as after a full reformat of drive C and reinstall of Win 10... some prolems there but all sorted now .... and a full reinstall of FS2004, it is  now functioning normally. Sorry one  proviso to that.

I found that after setting up all the assignments and axis settings, all was ok. However if I changed aircraft or exited FS2004  I had no settings at all saved and had to reset. 

I started another thread asking about that but after extensive research I found a thread (AVSIM of course) which told me about a line oin the Joysticks Mainn the joysticks in the fs9.config.  essentially it involved inserting a line "locked=1.

This has to be done manually and it essentially locks the settings for the joysticks. I have never had to do this before and I am not at all sure that it is the ultimate solution because if I want to change anything in those assignments I now have to get back into my FS9 config change that line to "locked=0" ... back into FS2004 change the desired assignments and then change fs9 config back to Locked=1. This is something of a time waster because I am constantly changing from 737 to 747 and have to reconfigure the throttles.  It is though, at least working and that is just wonderful.

So to all of you who helped out I want you to know that you are communicating with a very grateful AVSIMMer.

Regards and thanks to you all

Tony

Tony Chilcott.

Are you still using the batch file Sascha recommended in your photo scenery thread? If you are that would be over writing your configuration.  I guess not as you say it happens if you change aircraft.