Sign in to follow this  
mdata

A kingdom for a torch light ...

Imagine, the first flight of the day; it is 5:30am and it's pitch dark in the cockpit. The ground crew have connected external power. But, where the heck is this master battery switch again?

I know this has been raised a couple of times over the years since FS9 - a means of simulating a torch light.

In two years Flight simulation for PCs will become 30 years old - quite mature by human standards; by then the virtual cockpit will celebrate it's 18 anniversary. Still we (I) miss a torch light tool in P3D ... anybody else does so too?

Cheers
Frank

• Upvote 4

I was just lamenting the same thing last night. Dynamic lighting should make this a possibility. If I still had the programming chops, I'd love to do it myself.

Chris

@mdata and @snglecoil

How would you like the torch to be simulated? following your mouse? or how? also how would you activate it? via a CTR+Key?

Regards,
Simbol

Hi simbol, the sympathic developer is there with... a good mind.

I think that pression on the alt key (if possible) shall be better that ctrl+key often used in aircrafts.

Just now, ms2 said:

Hi simbol, the sympathic developer is there with... a good mind.

I think that pression on the alt key (if possible) shall be better that ctrl+key often used in aircrafts.

The problem with alt+key is that normally "Alt" is used to access a menu, but I guess the assigned key could be configurable.

More interested to heard what the user is expecting to see if it could be accomplish :wink:.

Regards,

Simbol

• Upvote 2

1 hour ago, simbol said:

How would you like the torch to be simulated? following your mouse? or how? also how would you activate it? via a CTR+Key?

Hi Simbol,

Yes, I would say that most of the simmers would perceive using the mouse as the virtual extension of our hands being the most natural way of simulating/controlling a torch light effect. Activating it by a Ctrl-key would be fine of course.

When being in mouse-look mode it should follow the cross-hair, I guess.
I wonder if it could be done with the today's capabilities of the P3D SDK?

Best Regards
Frank

Edited by mdata

X-plane has a basic solution. A key or button is assigned to toggle   a “flashlight” on and off. The area around the mouse is then lit as if pointing a flashlight.  Works very well. 

• Upvote 1

Chris

X-plane has a basic solution. A key or button is assigned to toggle   a “flashlight” on and off. The area around the mouse is then lit as if pointing a flashlight.  Works very well. 

Yes, I heard of that. Seems like this functionality would be built into the X-Plane engine.
I have not studied the P3D SDK, so I am not sure if there would be a similar possibility or if it would need to be built into every AC model.

Thanks guys,

Ok I will research and revert back.

Thank you!

That's why I love this community :smile:

• Upvote 1

28 minutes ago, mdata said:

Thank you!

That's why I love this community :smile:

You are welcome, I am currently working with lights effects so I am 100% sure I can put a light anywhere I want inside the cabin, what I need to research is if I can make it follows the mouse cursor to simulate the torch correctly.

So we are 50% there hehe.

Regards 

Simbol 

1 minute ago, simbol said:

So we are 50% there hehe.

Think 70%.... ;-))

Avatar with an attached light (DL enabled).

Cheers, Rob.

EDIT: there is actually a lot more one can do with AVATAR Guy/Gal, hopefully AVATAR guy/gals gets more development love in the future.

17 minutes ago, Rob Ainscough said:

Avatar with an attached light (DL enabled).

Cheers, Rob.

EDIT: there is actually a lot more one can do with AVATAR Guy/Gal, hopefully AVATAR guy/gals gets more development love in the future.

Hi Rob,

You saying this already exists or you are suggesting to implement it like this?

If the second, the issue is the avatar cannot walk inside the VC.

But I will check what can be done.

Simbol