Sign in to follow this  
edpatino

Good or bad news: last chance to upgrade to Windows 10

It seems that MS posted that Dec 31st, 2017 will be the last date to do a free upgrade to Win 10 from Windows 7 and 8. Don't know if this is good or bad news, but apparently they (MS) will be ceasing the support to Win 7 & 8 from that date on also.

Cheers, Ed

Cheers, Ed

MSFS Steam - Win10 Home x64 // Rig: Corsair Graphite 760T Full Tower - ASUS MBoard Maximus XII Hero Z490 - CPU Intel i9-10900K - 64GB RAM - MSI RTX2080 Super 8GB - [1xNVMe M.2 1TB + 1xNVMe M.2 2TB (Samsung)] + [1xSSD 1TB + 1xSSD 2TB (Crucial)] + [1xSSD 1TB (Samsung)] + 1 HDD Seagate 2TB + 1 HDD Seagate External 4TB - Monitor LG 29UC97C UWHD Curved - PSU Corsair RM1000x - VR Oculus Rift // MSFS Steam - Win 10 Home x64 - Gaming Laptop CUK ASUS Strix - CPU Intel i7-8750H - 32GB RAM - RTX2070 8GB - SSD 2TB + HDD 2TB // Thrustmaster FCS & MS XBOX Controllers

W10 blows and I dont need support for W7 so whatever.

If P3D ran on LINUX ID MicroSux forever..

• Upvote 1

spacer.png

You'll most likely need it if you have a more recent processor, all the security updates didn't work with Win 7 and the Kaby Lake, which is why I had to switch to 10, although to be fair, there were some things which weren't supported for that KL processor on Win 7, which do now work. Win 10 is occasionally a pain in the @ss though, I had a hell of a time getting a new Joystick to work on Win 10 this week because it only had Win 7 and 8 drivers; managed it in the end but it was a right faff. If I could have got away with still using Win 7, I would have done so.

Alan Bradbury

Check out my youtube flight sim videos: Here

I wonder if we can convince LM to port P3D to LINUX...wishful I know.

spacer.png

I used WinXP well past its death date and was happy.  A virus due to letting my grandson surf the web on it killed it for good, so I got a new system and Win7 Pro 64bit.  Never looked back and refuse to look forward.  I stopped all updates to Win7 after the KB...whatever number it was update in 2015 that killed applications that required a disk in the CD drive to play, like FS2004, Medieval Total War, Fleet Command, and Silent Hunter.  Never looked back and never updated again.  MS can kill support to Win7, but they cannot kill Win7 itself...only my grandson can do that. :biggrin:  I'll use it until it is completely dead with no brain activity and then move on to whatever I have to.  Until then...go Win7!

Randy

The free Windows 10 upgrade until Dec. 31 is technically for users who need assistive technologies.  Windows 7 support, at least for security patches, doesn't end until January 2020.  If this has changed please provide a link.

re. P3D on LINUX, I too would love to see that. 

You guys kill me lol. You guys still riding around in a horse and carriage too? Those newfangled cars are probably just a fad anyway. Who needs em!

- Aaron

I personally love Windows 10, going back to Windows 7 just feels wrong to me.

• Upvote 1

10 minutes ago, Milton Waddams said:

I personally love Windows 10, going back to Windows 7 just feels wrong to me.

Yess Sir. Windows 10 is much better. But Windows 7 was a formidable OS too. 

• Upvote 1

13 minutes ago, joemiller said:

Yess Sir. Windows 10 is much better. But Windows 7 was a formidable OS too. 

It indeed was at the time, but now having Windows 10 makes me see no reason why someone would stick with it besides the obvious software compatibility or the familiarity of it.

31 minutes ago, slait said:

You guys kill me lol. You guys still riding around in a horse and carriage too? Those newfangled cars are probably just a fad anyway. Who needs em!

Look up trusted computing and get back to me.

spacer.png

37 minutes ago, Ramjett said:

I used WinXP well past its death date and was happy.  A virus due to letting my grandson surf the web on it killed it for good, so I got a new system and Win7 Pro 64bit.  Never looked back and refuse to look forward.  I stopped all updates to Win7 after the KB...whatever number it was update in 2015 that killed applications that required a disk in the CD drive to play, like FS2004, Medieval Total War, Fleet Command, and Silent Hunter.  Never looked back and never updated again.  MS can kill support to Win7, but they cannot kill Win7 itself...only my grandson can do that. :biggrin:  I'll use it until it is completely dead with no brain activity and then move on to whatever I have to.  Until then...go Win7!

Randy

Make sure you are careful on the internet if you are not up to date. A great way for the bad guys to get into your personal financial information, accounts, etc., is to sniff out systems that are out of date in order to launch an attack to harvest data. Patches and updates from Microsoft help significantly to guard against this. 

spacer.png

REX AccuSeason Developer

REX Simulations

I have WIN7 Professional. I stopped the updates but have a war chest of security, no issues.

I thought MS said that they would support Win7 until 2020? Which would be the life of my new PC before looking to replace.

If one installs Win10 doesn't that disconnect all software and mean a complete reinstall and and upgrade of all software, that is not a very appetizing thought. And what about my printer, scanner, my Saitek everything?

Bryan Wallis aka "fltsimguy"

Maple Bay, British Columbia

Near CAM3

As I recall, the W10 upgrade is not a wipe and reinstall. And you can go back to W7 if you want.

Sure, there are some compatibility issues, but W10 is faster and more secure. It looks different, and some things are in different places, but under the hood it's still Windows. Right click functions are still the same. 

I run default FSX without addons so of course I don't have the issues some will have. After a HDD failure and a OS reinstall, W10 found my network printer and added it without me doing anything.

But then I didn't have any problem with Vista or W8. 

Bob

i5, 16 GB ram, GTX 960, FS on SSD, Windows 10 64 bit, home built works anyway.

20 hours ago, slait said:

I drive a restored 2007 Toyota Solara convertible and never got into an accident watching tv shows on the dashboard. 😁

Forever indebted to the late Michael Greenblatt of FSGS.