Sign in to follow this  
Terry O'Brien

Need help flying redirection by ATC

I have been flying the 737-NGX for 2 years now programming the FMC to land at a given airport on a given runway. I can land to plane no problem using the auto pilot. My BIG problem is what do I do when ATC redirects me to land on a different runway than the one I programmed into the FMC. I don't have a clue on how to proceed. I need to know what steps I need to take to either reprogram the FMC to land on the runway ATC has instructed me to land on or the steps required to abort the FMC program and do a manual landing. While the current flight simulators are a wonderful tool and an awesome experience I have found it difficult to find a PROGRESSIVE learning path. I admit there is no one close to me who I can verbally ask questions of. Most of my time is spent scratching my head or on the Internet and YouTube searching for information that fits my particular requirements usually without success. The steps required to find solutions for "WHAT IF" scenarios is sadly lacking.

It would be very nice if I could find someone experienced with whom I could correspond by e-mail with my questions or who lives in Vancouver  Canada area. I am willing to share my simulator with anyone who is interested.

PM me if you are interested.

Edited by Terry O'Brien

Terry,

First of all I would never put my email address in an "open to the public" posting.  If I were you I would edit your post to remove it and then ask interested people to PM you for your address.

That said, I don't have the PMDG NGX but I do have the PMDG NG for FS2004.  While I am sure the NGX has more bells and whistles I am reasonably certain the FMC in the NGX operates closely to the way the NG FMC operates.  Whenever I get a different runway assignment than the one I expected...and already entered...I go to the DEP/ARR page and enter the new runway and the type of approach I was either given by ATC..."expect the RNAV 23R approach", etc...or intend to ask for.

Before I hit "EXEC" I look things over to make sure the aircraft is not going to do a 180 on me to get to the first waypoint in the approach.  If all looks good I hit "EXEC" and everything is good from there.

Also, pretty sure the manual explains how to do changes such as these, but without the NGX and the accompanying manuals I cannot say that for sure.  I know it does for the NG for FS2004.

I did some looking on You Tube and found this tutorial

It discusses really how to program to go to an alternate airport, but pay attention at 3:09 when he talks about setting up the new approach.

Randy