Sign in to follow this  
Britfrog

where have all the grey beards gone?? (experienced simmers)

I cant help but notice that  there is a distinct lack of input from the more elderly, experienced simmers in recent times, which saddens me. the majority of the forums have now mostly content from the younger generations , is it because of the flaming that goes on here just because someone may not agree with your point of view? at any rate I am considering creating a site/place where the more experienced /mature simmers can discuss the pleasure of their hobby without fear of flaming or contradiction. Are there any other grey beards out there interested in this idea?

• Upvote 1

Nigel Porter

simhaven. group see: https://www.facebook.com/groups/493455508243014

Still around I think! Watching from a distance! 😉

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

Peter Webber

Prepar3D v5 & MSFS / Windows 10 Home Edition / CPU i7-7700K / MSI Z270 XPower Gaming Titanium / Samsung 970 EVO PLUS M.2 500GB / Corsair Vengeance DDR4 32GB 3000MHz / MSI Geforce GTX 1080Ti Gaming X

1 hour ago, Britfrog said:

I am considering creating a site/place where the more experienced /mature simmers can discuss the pleasure of their hobby without fear of flaming or contradiction. Are there any other grey beards out there interested in this idea?

What's happened to the grey beards forum you were running Nigel, has it folded? 

/Joe

• Upvote 1

I've been in this game since 1997. At this point my FSX is just set up and running so well that I'm just satisfied. I concentrate on flying and looking for interesting sceneries but I'm really complete out of the tweaking game. I do offer comments and help if I feel I can help.

On 11/4/2017 at 4:23 AM, Britfrog said:

at any rate I am considering creating a site/place where the more experienced /mature simmers can discuss the pleasure of their hobby without fear of flaming or contradiction. Are there any other grey beards out there interested in this idea?

If you set up a website just for "experienced/mature simmers", how can you identify whether a person is old and grey and mature when they sign up at your website?  We have many "old and grey" members here at AVSIM who flame or contradict others in discussions (I call it trolling or ranting).  We did a membership survey once where it showed the average age of members at AVSIM was around 60 and I think that's the average age at all flight simulation websites!  Most of our membership are seniors and many like to argue (like me, right now, where I'm arguing about your proposal. :smile: I'm only 73 though). This is why forums have moderators to police trolls who make comments to incite members like you. Some of the trolling comments our members make are intentional and some unintentional. They may not have full command of the English language and their comments may appear to be trolling or immature to you but not to others.  It is why all Internet forums have moderators and why most forums, like AVSIM, have rules, policies and terms that all members must follow (you agreed to the terms when you registered an account on AVSIM).  But moderators cannot be everywhere all of the time and that's why we rely on you and our members to send us a 'Report' when they see trolling or ranting or other violations.  There's a report link at the top of each post.  So, you need to click on the 'Report Post' link in the offending post and inform one of our moderators that you see something that violates our rules, policies, and/or terms of service (see the Rules and Policies tab at the top of this forum).  If we agree (and we do not always agree), we will immediately remove it (hide it) and may or may not warn the member and let him/her know they violated one or more of our rules. 

One of my favorite websites on forum etiquette is at the following link - http://www.wisegeek.com/what-is-forum-etiquette.htm. I wish all of our members could be respectful of others and not call someone an idiot or profane name but that happens a lot in many forums and those are the ones I find really offensive.  When seen or reported, disciplinary action is swift.

You should see the bashing I get here at AVSIM from some of our members!  Because of my position here at AVSIM, I'm in a huge fishbowl and everyone can see my actions/comments and they sometimes get nasty and downright hateful if they don't agree.  I make a rule and it is almost instantly like I just set off a nuclear bomb.  The rule or comments I just made cannot be discussed.  I am wrong and that's it.  Those who make the comments could care less about who I am or what I did for a career or the fact I am an AVSIM Volunteer.  They just hate rules and they do not want to discuss them in a mature manner.

So, good luck with your endeavor to create a new website for the flight simulation community.  Hopefully you will find volunteers to moderate the forums for you and make sure no children or immature members are on board.

Best regards,

Jim

• Like 1
  • Upvote 2

Jim Young | AVSIM Online! - Simming's Premier Resource!

Member, AVSIM Board of Directors - Serving AVSIM since 2001

Submit News to AVSIM
Important other links: Basic FSX Configuration Guide | AVSIM CTD Guide | AVSIM Prepar3D Guide | Help with AVSIM Site | Signature Rules | Screen Shot Rule | AVSIM Terms of Service (ToS)

I7 8086K  5.0GHz | GTX 1080 TI OC Edition | Dell 34" and 24" Monitors | ASUS Maximus X Hero MB Z370 | Samsung M.2 NVMe 500GB and 1TB | Samsung SSD 500GB x2 | Toshiba HDD 1TB | WDC HDD 1TB | Corsair H115i Pro | 16GB DDR4 3600C17 | Windows 10 

Well, more than just having flown flight sims for over 30 years, I've been in the community for about as long as well... back when we used BBSs!

I've been busy (overloaded really) working with various developers and preparing for the 3rd Annual Flight Sim WEB Conference (we'll formally announce the date/time next week, but it's set for November 25th at 5:00pm GMT).  If one can't wait for the links, you can follow the Online Virtual Pilots Association Facebook Page and you'll get the announcement and some very important information about registering (free) and attending.  We've averaged 5000+ viewers each year, and the developers who participate are AWESOME!  I'm not going to say any more about this until the formal announcement next week.

Personally, I think the last thing we need in the community is another website and especially more forums, though I must admit that I've thought off and on over the past few years about a forum where experienced, mature flight simmers met and others had read only access.  But I've always stopped short of doing this because I don't think it's what's best for the community - and I HATE elitism.  There are a few facebook sites where I've been invited to where members think their some type of elite flight simmer and it just doesn't sit well with me.

Funny, I was finishing my opening remarks for the web conference and the growth of flight sim and influx of new and younger blood into out community is ingrained into those remarks.  It's terrific, and has brought in new developers and spurred on development by existing ones. DTG making FSX:SE available for very little money has helped incredibly in generating new interest and growth in our community.  The newer members coming in are young, bright and very technology savvy, and they bring with them new ideas which have already had an effect in flight sim.  What they need however, is some type of mentorship to help them become part of the community and enjoy flight sim at the level some of us do.  I have a few ideas on how to do this, but still looking at it.

• Like 1

Dave Hodges

System Specs:  I9-13900KF, NVIDIA 4070TI, Quest 3, Multiple Displays, Lots of TERRIFIC friends, 3 cats, and a wonderfully stubborn wife.

Been at this since 1986 and I ain't dead yet. ;)

Speaking for myself: I just don't have anything to say.  You're welcome. ;)

• Upvote 1

Bill Alderson

What makes the flight sim community so great is that there are users across all ages and they all have something to add to our hobby. The OP has his own flight sim website(see signature) that includes simmers of all ages so I'm not sure what he is trying to imply here other than to say that Avsim does not moderate their site properly or that old age makes for more interesting content which from my experience is an inaccurate inference. As a matter of fact I learned something the other day from a young simmer that was more polite and eloquent than a few "grey beards" I know.

So it seems that we all have something to learn no matter what our age Mr. Porter.

• Upvote 1

Thanks very much Jim. :dry: You've just about covered every thing I was going to say! :rolleyes:

(I'm only 76 though  :tongue:)

• Upvote 1

Eva Vlaardingerbroek, an inspiratiom.

I've been around since the Timex Sinclair 1000, and I'm still here. A little quiet, but still here. :-)

Joel Murray @ CYVR (actually, somewhere about halfway between CYNJ and CZBB) 

I think the younger simmers tend use made up handle`s names to hide behind that gives them more freedom to flame the forums,    

Raymond Fry.

PMDG_Banner_747_Enthusiast.jpg

I would like to state that I am a younger simmer but I love the input from the more experienced. This site has so many helpful people and if all of you left then there would be no reason for us (or at least me) to stay either. I feel that I respect all of you and that I tend to be more on the mature side. I can't speak for others but I feel that this place is great and it is because of the older crowd. 

spacer.png

LOL, started on a Timex Sinclair 2600 myself. Got Falcon 3 in 1998, then FS 5. But hey I'm just a puppy, I'm only 66. Getting gray though. The avatar pic is 6 years old.

Sue

For me, the OP is right.  Too much flaming going on. It is too easy to fight and complain if you are not facing the person.

jim

CYWG

• Upvote 1