Sign in to follow this  
Britfrog

where have all the grey beards gone?? (experienced simmers)

On 4 November 2017 at 8:23 AM, Britfrog said:

I cant help but notice that  there is a distinct lack of input from the more elderly, experienced simmers in recent times, which saddens me. the majority of the forums have now mostly content from the younger generations , is it because of the flaming that goes on here just because someone may not agree with your point of view? at any rate I am considering creating a site/place where the more experienced /mature simmers can discuss the pleasure of their hobby without fear of flaming or contradiction. Are there any other grey beards out there interested in this idea?

There you go Britfrog,

That's got a few of them up on their hind legs!

Well done to you old timers - from a youngun (49) ;-)

Love the get ' The Old Farts Flying Club" going again.

Cheers,

Robin

Cape Town, South Africa

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

Robin

"Onward & Upward" ...
To the Stars, & Beyond... 

Still waiting for the Old Farts Flying Club to get off the ground.....

Robin

"Onward & Upward" ...

On 6/17/2018 at 11:58 PM, Wobbie said:

Still waiting for the Old Farts Flying Club to get off the ground.....

Robin, you probably will have a very long wait!😀  No beard, but if I did, it would be grey.  How did you know about my flatulence problem??:blink:

Charlie Aron

Awaiting the new Microsoft Flight Sim and the purchase of a new system.  Running a Chromebook for now! :cool:

Charlie, I'm grey all over & your flatulence is well known, here in Cape Town, South Africa! 

Methinks a support group for us is well overdue!

Robin

"Onward & Upward" ...

I spent my whole career in commercial and military flight test at Boeing.  I was a system test engineer so flew on the planes during the flight testing of new aircraft.  So loved flying.  In 1979 when Sub Logic came out with the first simulator for Apple II, I jumped on it.  I have continually upgraded until recently and am using FSX. 

I have tried to use some of the newer versions of flight simulator but my memory is failing so just stayed with FSX. I am now 84 and am having a tough time remembering how everything works so am sticking with single engine planes for now.  Over the years I have purchased most of the planes made, from single engine to the 747.  Just can't remember how to fly them all.  I have no problem taking off, flying and then landing.  Just can't remember where I have saved all of the switch positions....grin.

I spend most of my computer time browsing flight sim posts but only respond occasionally.  Where else can you find such knowledgeable friendly folks.

Tom 

On 11/4/2017 at 6:23 PM, Britfrog said:

I cant help but notice that  there is a distinct lack of input from the more elderly, experienced simmers in recent times, which saddens me. the majority of the forums have now mostly content from the younger generations , is it because of the flaming that goes on here just because someone may not agree with your point of view? at any rate I am considering creating a site/place where the more experienced /mature simmers can discuss the pleasure of their hobby without fear of flaming or contradiction. Are there any other grey beards out there interested in this idea?

Britfrog,

Don't let the Flamers get you down. I'm just a newbie here, but know the angst such lurkers cause. It can be moderated & with respect that is a responsibility of the forum owners/moderators. I don't have a grey beard but still have a few grey hairs, perhaps like yourself 🙂 The best thing about flamers, its so easy to put their fires out - just don't feed them!

Quite often its their inferiority complex that drives their need flame others.

🙂    Cheers & have a great day. David

I started with Sublogic Flight Simulator on a Commodore 64 and progressed from there.  Been playing with computers since the printers were old teletype machines. Been around here for just a little while too.

Yes, I do have a grey beard and I'm proud that I can still trim it without cutting my throat.

Thank you.

Rick

$Silver Donor

EAA 1317610   I7-7700K @ 4.5ghz, MSI Z270 Gaming MB,  32gb 3200,  Geforce RTX2080 Super O/C,  28" Samsung 4k Monitor,  Various SSD, HD, and peripherals

17 hours ago, Ron Attwood said:

I started with an abacus.

I personally started with stone knives and bearskins:biggrin:

Charlie Aron

Awaiting the new Microsoft Flight Sim and the purchase of a new system.  Running a Chromebook for now! :cool:

3 hours ago, charliearon said:

I personally started with stone knives and bearskins:biggrin:

I started with sunrise and sunset. Wait, I still do! ;-)

On ‎11‎/‎4‎/‎2017 at 3:23 AM, Britfrog said:

I cant help but notice that  there is a distinct lack of input from the more elderly, experienced simmers in recent times

I started flying desktop flight sims back in the early Commodore 64/Sub Logic Days with my kids and now I'm on P3dv4.3.  It's just a game for me. I've pretty much given up on posting to flight sim forums because of the push back from some of the posters.  I've been blasted because one of the forum members didn't like an adjective I used in a title or being called a name I didn't even know what it meant because I answered a question.  I'm still waiting for a clarification on that issue. :smile:

Lately I've seen issues that I could help resolve with other desk top simmers, but the risk of getting blasted out of "No Where" is really not worth it to me any longer.  

Grace and Peace.

I Earned My Spurs in Vietnam

On 11/4/2017 at 4:23 AM, Britfrog said:

Not exactly what you would consider a grey beard, but I do have grey in my 45 year old beard. I'm a long time simmer, but new to sim forums. Plan on making myself a mainstay here, though, to offer help as well as to seek out help.

Are you still interested in the idea you laid out back in November?

To be honest, I'm using the Sim-Outhouse & Flightsim forums far more often than Avsim. (no disrespect to Avsim) Also, a LOT more FS2004 releases that do not appear here appear there.

Also, there are far fewer new releases here that interest me. I enjoy the oldies & low & slows. Here, the new releases are all (mostly) tube liners.

However, Avsim is always part of my daily 'look at & check the forums' routine.

Robin

"Onward & Upward" ...