Sign in to follow this  
Britfrog

where have all the grey beards gone?? (experienced simmers)

well it is nice to see a few non- flamers here, i started flying just after Pontius stopped, like others here I stopped visiting avsim because of the irreverent replies, which I didnt enjoy do any of you "old timers " fly with other friends using multiplayer or joinfs?

Nigel Porter

simhaven. group see: https://www.facebook.com/groups/493455508243014

Hi, Nigel! No, I don't fly with anyone else. I prefer to enjoy my flight simming alone. I don't play any team-oriented online games, either. I guess I sim to get away from everyone else rather than be social. 🙂

Edited by JRMurray
Tidied up a typo
  • Like 2

Joel Murray @ CYVR (actually, somewhere about halfway between CYNJ and CZBB) 

On 7/8/2018 at 10:30 AM, charliearon said:

I personally started with stone knives and bearskins:biggrin:

I was naked with a fruit in my hand... wait I'm not that old!!! 😆

• Like 1

On 7/16/2018 at 12:51 PM, Penzoil3 said:

My first plane was a pterodactyl...

My first plane was a wire-frame, monochrome (black and green), Cessna in Microsoft FS 1.0. My favorite memory is seeing the box for Microsoft FS 95 at CompUSA(!)...the cover had a picture that looked like an actual, rendered, full-color 3D airplane! Little did I know it would take, oh, TWO DECADES, until it all came together hardware/software-wise. But heck, I'm patient.

Anyway, my beard IS grey, and I am still here.

PopsBell out. 😎

Actually, my first was a Sub Logic Sim loaded onto a Timex-Sinclair 2600 with a cassette tape. Some sort of Cessna I seem to remember. It was in 1988. My first PC sim was Falcon 3, on 5" floppy disks. From there I went to FS95, and so on...

Sue

• Like 1

49 minutes ago, Penzoil3 said:

Actually, my first was a Sub Logic Sim loaded onto a Timex-Sinclair 2600 with a cassette tape. Some sort of Cessna I seem to remember. It was in 1988. My first PC sim was Falcon 3, on 5" floppy disks. From there I went to FS95, and so on... 

Sue

Ha! Love it! 😁

I do remember 'cassette storage' on my Dad's Radio Shack TRS-80 Model 1 in Dec of '79. No flight sim of any kind, but that thing could play Blackjack...barely. (Extremely cool at the time, but...). 😀

I love how it's expected that you started with some archaic P.O.S. if you're over a predetermined age, to be considered a 'greybeard'.. My flight simming started with FSX (n00b, n00b!)

Eva Vlaardingerbroek, an inspiratiom.

1 hour ago, Ron Attwood said:

I love how it's expected that you started with some archaic P.O.S. if you're over a predetermined age, to be considered a 'greybeard'.. My flight simming started with FSX (n00b, n00b!)

You're right, Ron - FSX is 12 years old this October! Anyone simming that long is a grey beard. 😉

I'm from the days of old...65 years old...the dark ages of when analog cockpits were king....glass wasn't even on the radar. Still haven't turned the corner to glass yet although I'm trying.

Edited by Will273
  • Like 1

I'm also 65, 66 in February, &, as a tip of the hat to us oldies  experienced guys!

I have created a separate install of FS2004 using Golden Wings (removes airports in the USA) & populated only with vintage aircraft, such as amongst others, Wright gliders, Bleriot's, Demoiselle, an Eagle (well, it is an original flyer), Antoinette, Avro tri-plane, a Bicylcle (gotta get around), Caproni, Caudron, Curtiss's, a bunch of Zeppelins, Dunne, du Temple, Ellehammer, Eole, Farmans, Fokker Spin, Grunau gliders, Lohners, the Opel & a few others, including a vintage car, or 2 as well as a steamboat.

This has really been an interesting journey, & I think that historical aircraft are pretty much unique to FS2004, as it the Schneider 1929 Race planes & scenery, & the Bugatti project from Lionheart.
The Schneider Project also was fascinating to read up.

I also found a suitable Wright Flyer splash screen. Our hobby has become so diverse, with very highly detailed jet liners & such like, & I think that taking a step back in time to where it all began could be worthy for those that would like to remember the trials & tribulations when flight began.

Not a glass cockpit to be found, actually, hardly any cockpits!

• Upvote 1

Robin

"Onward & Upward" ...
To the Stars, & Beyond... 

I am 69 don't say much on the forums but I do enjoy reading all the comments from other members

• Upvote 1

Maybe it's time to restart  'The Old Farts Flying Club'?

• Upvote 1

Robin

"Onward & Upward" ...
To the Stars, & Beyond... 

Present!

:)

Not been too active! but checks in once in a while!

• Upvote 1

Manny

Beta tester for SIMStarter 

Figured since I'm 50 now, I'd bring this thread from the dead. I've been at this since 1985. I've been on Avsim and other sites since inception under some different names. It was mentioned about arguments or flaming from younger members. I had seen disagreements in these forums for a number of years. Not sure why since we all have the same hobby. It seems that has died down considerably, which is nice to see. I mostly lurk since I dont use FSX or P3d. I own both but cant get the fluidity like I do with FS9. I'll monitor how MSFS2020 performs before I purchase. Looking forward to it and it should interject new blood into the sim. 

I do miss the days when we had Project Freeware Group, SGA, IFDG, Posky and many others. Thankful we have groups like TDS and HJG along with multiple freeware scenery developers giving us great addons for free.  Guys like Opa and others who were always willing to help others here. It's great we still have Avsim and FlightSim.com. It appears to me that the forum participation and freeware addons are slowing. More people are going to facebook groups. Those of us who remember the IUP fs servers where the freeware use to be kept remember the transitions to the Avsims of the world. With Facebook, people upload to drop box and then eventually the file isn't available anymore. Its great coming here to Avsim or Flightsim to download a file you might have lost from 10 years ago.

Sorry to bring the thread from the dead. look forward to see what the future brings but hope we still have access to the past. 

• Like 1
  • Upvote 2