Sign in to follow this  
cvearl

GNS 530/430 with Carenado planes?

I have been away a long long time. Years. 

Was wondering if now P3D V4 + the new GNS 530/430 stuff is working with Carenado that came with the integrated RXP feature? Just flip it on like the old days and now the plane has a working 3D modelled GNS 530? or whatever the Carenado model had?

Please advise

Charles.

Please post this in the Carenado forum area.

Frank Patton
MasterCase Pro H500M; MSI Z490 WiFi MOB; i7 10700k 3.8 Ghz; Gigabyte RTX 3080 12gb OC; H100i Pro liquid cooler; 32GB DDR4 3600;  Gold RMX850X PSU;
ASUS 
VG289 4K 27" Monitor; Honeycomb Alpha & Bravo, Crosswind 3's w/dampener.  
Former USAF meteorologist & ground weather school instructor. AOPA Member #07379126

"I will never put my name on a product that does not have in it the best that is in me." - John Deere

40 minutes ago, cvearl said:

I have been away a long long time. Years. 

Was wondering if now P3D V4 + the new GNS 530/430 stuff is working with Carenado that came with the integrated RXP feature? Just flip it on like the old days and now the plane has a working 3D modelled GNS 530? or whatever the Carenado model had?

Please advise

Charles.

Yes, you can run the RXP gauge installer that usually come with Carenado and Alabeo planes. It won't install the new v2 gauge however. You then start the sim and go to Menu, Add-ons, Reality XP GNS to setup the planes with the GNS.

• Upvote 1

23 hours ago, bills511 said:

Yes, you can run the RXP gauge installer that usually come with Carenado and Alabeo planes. It won't install the new v2 gauge however. You then start the sim and go to Menu, Add-ons, Reality XP GNS to setup the planes with the GNS.

I have tried this, and you are correct, the new RXP gauge is installed.  However, I have found that the new 530 no longer functions correctly.  Specifically, tuning an ILS procedure into the 530 and switching the CDI to VLOC mode no longer seems to send the correct signal to the HSI.  The 530 recognizes the corresponding ILS signal.  But on the HSI, the ILS vertical and horizontal guidance is not displayed.  In fact, the HSI flags as if it is not receiving a valid signal.  Is anyone else encountering this issue?  RealityXP has said they believe the Carenado Seneca is not correctly processing the input signal.      

You may have to then open the 2d popup - shift + right click the top of the popup gauge and make the options are checked - like sync hsi to VOR or whatever it says.  There's like three that need to be checked.

• Upvote 1

| FAA ZMP |
| PPL ASEL |
| Windows 11 | MSI Z690 Tomahawk | 12700K 4.7GHz | MSI RTX 4080 | 32GB 5600 MHz DDR5 | 500GB Samsung 860 Evo SSD | 2x 2TB Samsung 970 Evo M.2 | EVGA 850W Gold | Corsair 5000X | HP G2 (VR) / LG 27" 1440p |

I have the v2 430 and 530 running in various combinations in 3 Carenado planes so far (337, T210 and Malibu Mirage).  The process of running the Carenado utility to use the old RXP gauges and then running the new gauge replacement program has worked very well - that is, after I stopped trying to make it harder than it was.  As Ryan notes, you'll need to shift-right click on the top of the bezel and bring up the config utility to be sure that you've tied the gauges to the appropriate display (HSI, etc).  Or, you can simply edit the realityxp.gns.ini file which is placed in the aircraft folder.

Here are the relevant entries:

; connects GPS to HSI if true.
LinkHsi = true
; connects GPS to HSI course if true.
LinkCrs = true
; connects HSI OBS to GPS if true.
LinkObs = true
; connects GPS to VOR if true.
LinkVor = true

The one thing I've noted with all three Carenado aircraft I've done so far is that even though all three feature HSI's, the GPS can't seem to drive glideslope on the HSI unless I set LinkVor to be true.

I have the Seneca, but I don't fly it much so haven't gotten it set up yet.

Scott

• Upvote 1

49 minutes ago, tttocs said:

I have the v2 430 and 530 running in various combinations in 3 Carenado planes so far (337, T210 and Malibu Mirage). 

Hmmm...I've only installed the 530 in the Malibu Mirage but when I launched the airplane it had installed the RXP 500.  ??  I...um...didn't even know it came with that.  Anybody know a fix?

Gregg Seipp

"A good landing is when you can walk away from the airplane.  A great landing is when you can reuse it."
i7-8700 32GB Ram, GTX-1070 8 Gig RAM

18 minutes ago, Gregg_Seipp said:

Hmmm...I've only installed the 530 in the Malibu Mirage but when I launched the airplane it had installed the RXP 500.  ??  I...um...didn't even know it came with that.  Anybody know a fix?

Hi Gregg,

Just run the RXP tool again and select the “undo changes” option... Then run it again to install again - probably just clicked the wrong one ?

Side note - the Malibu Mirage with the GNS - a keeper ?

Regards,

Scott

imageproxy.png.c7210bb70e999d98cfd3e77d7

27 minutes ago, Gregg_Seipp said:

Hmmm...I've only installed the 530 in the Malibu Mirage but when I launched the airplane it had installed the RXP 500.

Gregg, I have both the 530 and 430 installed in the Malibu.  All I did was execute the rxp530rxp430.exe file from Carenado (think that's what it's called, but that's at least close).  From there, I loaded the plane up in P3D and ran the RXP setup selecting replace.  I replaced the 530 with 530-1, and the 430 with RXP 430-2 (you have to do this in order for crossfill to work) and then made the changes to the config files to setup the 530 as primary, the 430 as secondary, enable crossfill on both and set the appropriate HSI, CDI stuff.  From there, everything just worked, including click for popups.

5 minutes ago, scottb613 said:

Side note - the Malibu Mirage with the GNS - a keeper ?

I think it's one of Carenado's better efforts.  I replaced the soundset (hated the stock one) with an Arezone set and I enjoy the plane.  It'll never be at the top of any of my lists, but I do enjoy flying it from time to time as opposed to some other Carenados that I wish I'd never bothered with.

Scott

Edit: Gregg, one other question.  Are you running the original Carenado release or the new version?  Mine is obviously with the new as I'm running P3D v4.

• Upvote 2

23 minutes ago, tttocs said:

Gregg, I have both the 530 and 430 installed in the Malibu.  All I did was execute the rxp530rxp430.exe file from Carenado (think that's what it's called, but that's at least close).  From there, I loaded the plane up in P3D and ran the RXP setup selecting replace.  I replaced the 530 with 530-1, and the 430 with RXP 430-2 (you have to do this in order for crossfill to work) and then made the changes to the config files to setup the 530 as primary, the 430 as secondary, enable crossfill on both and set the appropriate HSI, CDI stuff.  From there, everything just worked, including click for popups.

Okay, I ran CAR530CAR430 to remove it.  Then ran RXP530CAR430 to readd it.  Launched the sim and now it's just black.  Ugh.   Shift clicking the bezel top doesn't do anything. Stuck.

Gregg Seipp

"A good landing is when you can walk away from the airplane.  A great landing is when you can reuse it."
i7-8700 32GB Ram, GTX-1070 8 Gig RAM

12 minutes ago, Gregg_Seipp said:

Okay, I ran CAR530CAR430 to remove it.  Then ran RXP530CAR430 to readd it.  Launched the sim and now it's just black.  Ugh.   Shift clicking the bezel top doesn't do anything. Stuck.

You still need to run the RXP config app, and select Replace :happy:

Bert

3 minutes ago, Bert Pieke said:

You still need to run the RXP config app, and select Replace :happy:

Under the addons menu once you've launched with the plane you want to configure loaded.

Hi Gregg,

Yep - that’s only part one of the install process - that modifies the 3D Model but doesn’t install the new gauge... Keep in mind Carenado wrote this for V1 RXP in FSX only...

Now step two is to go to your “addons” menu after launching the sim and start a session with the plane in question... Select the “addons” menu - then the RXP Installer... This will swap the gauges while live and running... Choose swap and you’ll see the currently installed v1 gauges which you want to replace with v2 - just a matter of selecting from the drop down menu... These gauges also support “crossfill”...

Regards,

Scott

• Upvote 1

Hi Gregg,

Once you finally do get them installed [shift] [right click] on the bezel will bring up the configuration screen with all available options for the gauge itself...

Regards,

Scott

• Upvote 1

2 hours ago, tttocs said:

The one thing I've noted with all three Carenado aircraft I've done so far is that even though all three feature HSI's, the GPS can't seem to drive glideslope on the HSI unless I set LinkVor to be true.

This is normal. I've documented this in many other threads already, but the general idea is:

1) FltSim has standard variables (simvar) for VOR, HSI and GPS. 

2) When you design a gauge, like an HSI, it is better to use the HSI group of vars, instead of the VOR group of vars, but if using the VOR vars, you'll still get your needles working the same.

3) If a gauge designer uses VOR vars instead of HSI vars for an HSI, then no matter how much HSI vars we override,  the gauge won't display the values.

4) The RXP GTN/GNS V2 overrides each set separately (hence the 3 groups in the settings panel).

The VCDi needle issue might be related to something else altogether: a gauge designer doesn't have to 'test' if in GPS or VLOC mode for drawing the VCDI usually, because the simvar returns a valid value in every case. However, should a gauge designer wants to 'park' the needle out of view when no signal, he must test for the additional 'VCDI Valid" simvar.

I suspect the gauges not working are just 'assuming' there is no VCDI source in GPS mode (because the default GPS doesn't) and therefore test GPS/VLOC as condition for displaying the VCDI needle, instead of testing 'VCDI valid'. This is working fine with default GPS, but it is conceptually wrong nonetheless.

The GTN/GNS V2 override not only the data simvar (needle deviation etc..) but also the control simvar (vcdi valid, lcdi valid, etc...) to make third party gauges designed with a sense of correctness vis-à-vis the simvars to work as they should.

These are just my assumptions, I don't have the code of these third party gauges. However, should these gauges are in XML (as gauge files or XML code in the aircraft model), it shall be easy to spot.

• Upvote 1

Jean-Luc | reality-xp.com
This message from Reality XP is protected by a disclaimer: reality-xp.com/aboutrealityxp/email.html

Let your voice be heard and help us make a difference for you: Vote !
Open up communications with Reality-XP (Microsoft Flight Simulator Forums)