Sign in to follow this  
Cyrex1984

Winter is coming to X-plane 11😃

Oh, I was wondering what happened to this seasons project. Finally, I can fly in Alaska in the snow :cool:

• Upvote 1

Considering Laminar is not looking in implementing seasonal textures in XP11's run I'm very excited for this.

ASUS Maximus VIII Hero Alpha

Intel Core i7 6700K 4.5GHz

Corsair Vengeance Black LPX 32GB

Asus STRIX GTX 1080

Samsung 850 EVO 500GB SSD

Coupled with the new HD mesh this should bring a significant improvement to scenery representation in XP11. In theory, it should be rather easy to use lc-based scenery and orthos alternatingly by activating/de-activating ortho-related entries in the scenery cfg.

For instance, I have all my orthos on a seperate HDD. If I unplug it and start the sim, it deletes all ortho related entries from the scenery cfg by itself and reverts back to default scenery. (If I plug the HDD in again, I have to add all those entries to the scenery cfg, but that's the only nuisance.)

40 minutes ago, domae001 said:

Coupled with the new HD mesh this should bring a significant improvement to scenery representation in XP11. In theory, it should be rather easy to use lc-based scenery and orthos alternatingly by activating/de-activating ortho-related entries in the scenery cfg.

For instance, I have all my orthos on a seperate HDD. If I unplug it and start the sim, it deletes all ortho related entries from the scenery cfg by itself and reverts back to default scenery. (If I plug the HDD in again, I have to add all those entries to the scenery cfg, but that's the only nuisance.)

You could also get rid of that small nuisance by starting X-Plane in a batch file. Before starting X-Plane.exe check the presence of drive volume E (for example)

If Drive Volume E exists , copy scenery_packs.ini containing Ortho entires to Custom Scenery folder, start X-Plane.  I use this method already for a few things.

Cool, thanks for the tipps! Then it's basically a seemless transition between an ortho-based and an lc-based scenery, I guess.

After all those years flying one-seasoned X-Plane, I think it's looking really strange with that snow covered landscape. :happy: I think I would really need to adjust to this...

But X-Plane definitely needs seasons (even better if it had those out of the box) if it wants to attract more people.

There're already some passable freeware solutions for seasonal textures and autogen but if this offers something over those then I'm in.

• Upvote 1

i910900k, RTX 3090, 32GB DDR4 RAM, AW3423DW, Ruddy girt big mug of Yorkshire Tea

Is this texture or particle based? Also, is it just for winter or will all the seasons be modelled?

i7-6700k | Asus Maximus VIII Hero | 16GB RAM | MSI GTX 1080 Gaming X Plus | Samsung Evo 500GB & 1TB | WD Blue 2 x 1TB | EVGA Supernova G2 850W | AOC 2560x1440 monitor | Win 10 Pro 64-bit

Looking at those screen shots it looks like there are 4 seasons modelled but two of them seem to be snowy and I can't thing of many places that look like those that have snow for 50 percent of the year. If the price is right I'll have it though until orbx hurry up and get over here.

Chris

Owner, Fulcrum Simulator Controls.

fulcrumsim.com       facebook.com/fulcrumsimulatorcontrols       instagram.com/fulcrumsimulatorcontrols       twitter.com/Fulcrum_SC

Not sure if anyone can answer this but... would this add-on provide gradual changes based on longitude? In other words, if I take off from Miami in December, will it be green there and gradually turn snowy as I fly north?

10 hours ago, tutmeister said:

Looking at those screen shots it looks like there are 4 seasons modelled but two of them seem to be snowy and I can't thing of many places that look like those that have snow for 50 percent of the year. If the price is right I'll have it though until orbx hurry up and get over here.

Chris

Come to crappy Duluth, MN - we have two seasons.... Winter and 2 weeks of summer lol

| FAA ZMP |
| PPL ASEL |
| Windows 11 | MSI Z690 Tomahawk | 12700K 4.7GHz | MSI RTX 4080 | 32GB 5600 MHz DDR5 | 500GB Samsung 860 Evo SSD | 2x 2TB Samsung 970 Evo M.2 | EVGA 850W Gold | Corsair 5000X | HP G2 (VR) / LG 27" 1440p |

On 11/7/2017 at 8:47 PM, ryanbatcund said:

Come to crappy Duluth, MN - we have two seasons.... Winter and 2 weeks of summer lol

and here in southern California, we have summer, and kinda summer......no other seasons

9 hours ago, monica6211 said:

and here in southern California, we have summer, and kinda summer......no other seasons

Come on we have snow in the mountains: Palomar, Big Bear, Palm Springs...

flight sim addict, airplane owner, CFI