Sign in to follow this  
Cyrex1984

Winter is coming to X-plane 11😃

5 hours ago, sd_flyer said:

Come on we have snow in the mountains: Palomar, Big Bear, Palm Springs...

I've lived here in Santa Ana for the past 15 years and haven't had any snow around here (except when the fires were close lol).  Seriously though, yes I do see it up in the mountains, but they are a good 30 or so miles away. I haven't touched snow or seen it up close since I left New York.  I sure do miss it.  Still, the scenery around here doesn't even change that much color.  It is mostly green all year long.  I see a little more brown during the "winter", but not like most places that really do have four seasons.

I lived in the south Bay Area (Cupertino) for 10 years. Now I live in Canada. Ugh!

I can say, with some authority, that I'd rather have Winter textures on my PC then out my window.

• Upvote 2

13900K@5.8GHz - ROG Strix Z790-E - 2X16Gb G.Skill Trident DDR5 6400 CL32 - MSI RTX 4090 Suprim X - WD SN850X 2 TB M.2 - XPG S70 Blade 2 TB M.2 - MSI A1000G PCIE5 1000 W 80+ Gold PSU - Liam Li 011 Dynamic Razer case - 58" Panasonic TC-58AX800U 4K - Pico 4 VR  HMD - WinWing HOTAS Orion2 MAX - ProFlight Pedals - TrackIR 5 - W11 Pro (Passmark:12574, CPU:63110-Single:4785, GPU:50688)

6 hours ago, monica6211 said:

I've lived here in Santa Ana for the past 15 years and haven't had any snow around here (except when the fires were close lol).  Seriously though, yes I do see it up in the mountains, but they are a good 30 or so miles away. I haven't touched snow or seen it up close since I left New York.  I sure do miss it.  Still, the scenery around here doesn't even change that much color.  It is mostly green all year long.  I see a little more brown during the "winter", but not like most places that really do have four seasons.

You should try Big Bear http://www.destinationbigbear.com/blog/winter-holiday-in-big-bear/ It's roughly hour away from you.

I usually go to Palomar Mountain and Laguna Mountain snow play (when I missed of course :) )

flight sim addict, airplane owner, CFI

1 hour ago, sd_flyer said:

You should try Big Bear http://www.destinationbigbear.com/blog/winter-holiday-in-big-bear/ It's roughly hour away from you.

I usually go to Palomar Mountain and Laguna Mountain snow play (when I missed of course :) )

Well if you ski or snowboard thats going to be like the rush hour traffic on the 405/5. The snow is more like ice.  Eastern sierras is powder ! Nice place to fly to as well ! I was thinking about flying to Lone Pine this weekend for a $300 dollar burger, :( lol...

AMD Ryzen 7 5800X3D, 6800XT, Ram - 32GB, 32" 4K Monitor, WIN 11, XP-12 !

Eric Escobar

Just now, strider1 said:

Well if you ski or snowboard thats going to be like the rush hour traffic on the 405/5. The snow is more like ice.  Eastern sierras is powder ! Nice place to fly to as well ! I was thinking about flying to Lone Pine this weekend for a $300 dollar burger, :( lol...

Unfortunately my snow plane is limited  but pure joy of sliding on butt only  :) But I know Mammoth and Tahoe up north are pretty good for skiing.

I used to live in country with four season for 27 years. Do I miss snow...Hmmm... Well..Once a year perhaps LOL 

flight sim addict, airplane owner, CFI

2 hours ago, sd_flyer said:

Unfortunately my snow plane is limited  but pure joy of sliding on butt only  :) But I know Mammoth and Tahoe up north are pretty good for skiing.

I used to live in country with four season for 27 years. Do I miss snow...Hmmm... Well..Once a year perhaps LOL 

I grew up in South Florida and spent most of my life there, then moved up to the Pacific Northwest USA. Coastal low elevation, not much snow. We had one day of 1" snow recently then a fast melt. We get a little every year, and that's enough for me.

However, when flying out of this area in X-Plane, it would be nice to see seasonal snow pack on the mountains in the Cascades or Olympic Peninsula, or when I fly up through BC and into Alaska, so it doesn't always look like summer. Same thing in the high mountains of New Zealand or Europe, or anywhere else where we should see snowfields in Winter. 

Another reason I'm looking forward to Winter textures aside from eye candy, is that X-Plane simulates things like icy runway conditions, and in-flight icing when the conditions are right. It looks weird to have that kick in, when the temps are right but the outside terrain looks like mid-summer.

• Upvote 1

X-Plane and Microsoft Flight Simulator on Windows 10 
i7 6700 4.0 GHz, 32 GB RAM, GTX 1660 ti, 1920x1200 monitor