Sign in to follow this  
ErichB

Chaseplane outage - we are a harsh crowd.

29 minutes ago, ErichB said:

I don't think the fact that it's a beta has anything to do with this issue to be fair.   It could be a fully completed V1.0 product and still be reliant on the operational stability of the server provider to prevent falling over.

Not directly no, but since there is supposedly an offline mode coming shortly, and that is likely to be in there before it is out of beta, then it amounts to the same thing, i.e. it's not a fully rounded product yet in terms of the features which are intended.

Personally, I don't mind using the spacebar and the mouse to look about and zoom in, and I hated EZDOK, which was a convoluted mess to use and even buggered up the views in one of my aeroplanes until I uninstalled it. I do have Track IR but don't often use it, since it's a bit restricting to be having to put a hat on to fly a sim (yeah I know there's a clip for a headset too, but I don't always use a headset either, so I've got the hat clip version), and it always went against the grain to wear a baseball cap when 'flying' anyway, since it is dangerous to do so in real life, which is why any pics you ever see of me with a baseball cap on when near aeroplanes show me with the thing on backwards lol, not because I'm trying to look like some West Coast rapper or some such, it's purely for safety.

The one thing I will say that is good about Track IR though, is it does instill at least one good habit, which is it makes you look where you are going, and that does translate into 'muscle memory' to make you look before initiating a turn when flying VFR, and that is something which is very important. I can remember getting a right dressing down off an RAF instructor once for not looking before turning an aeroplane, he really tore a strip off me for having done that, and rightly so to be fair. I've never done that since, I can still remember his language even all these years later. He called me a 'f***ing word not allowed' amongst other things lol.

• Upvote 1

Alan Bradbury

Check out my youtube flight sim videos: Here

2 minutes ago, Chock said:

I've got the hat clip version), and it always went the grain to wear a baseball cap when 'flying', since it is dangerous to do so in real life, which is why any pics you ever see of me with a baseball cap on when near aeroplanes show me with the thing on backwards lol, not because I'm trying to look like some West Coast rapper or some such, it's purely for safety.

Yo, I get you bro. :)

Since switching to VATSIM and airliner type flying almost exclusively for some time now,  I attach the clip to a  headset -  with both bits actually having a function - it's the most natural thing..  I hated the hat thing.  Apart from looking like a pillock - no matter how cool flightsimming was on any given day, you still looked like a blithering pillock. 

3 hours ago, Woozie said:

Ah that's great - exactly what they should've posted as a response to the thread here.  Would've straightened things out for me no problem.  Instead, I saw a bit of an odd response that was unnecessarily grumpy and didn't address the outage.  I'm not following FSFX Packages on Facebook so wouldn't have seen that link if you didn't post it here.

• Upvote 2

Corsair Obsidian 900D, ASUS Maximus XI Formula Motherboard, Intel Core i9 9900K @ 5.2GHz (HT off), 32GB G-Skill Trident Z DDR4 @ 3200MHz, 2TB SeaGate FireCuda NVME SSD, 1TB Samsung 970 EVO M.2 PCIe SSD, 2 x 6TB WD Black 7200rpm SATA, nVidia GeForce RTX 2080 Ti, ASUS ROG curved ultrawide 1440p monitor.  All water-cooled with EKWB blocks.

1 hour ago, Chock said:

amazed at the amount of crybabies there were whining about it. Some of the comments about their flight sims being rendered unusable by not having an add-on working were laughable; like they couldn't hold down the spacebar and move a mouse to alter the view, oh, what a hardship lol.

Alan, as the crybaby you're referring to, I feel I need to explain (for what it's worth)

As others have pointed out, it's a testament to just how great of a product Chaseplane really is. The outage caused a lot of people to come flooding to the forum to complain. I was a big EZDOK fan up until a few weeks ago. I had been using Chaseplane on and off up until P3D v4.1 dropped and it turned out EZDOK was causing issues with nosewheel steering. At that point I decided to move over to Chaseplane, so I spent a good while setting up a ton of views for all my planes, setting transitions, hotkeys, outside views etc. All was great. The always-online aspect didn't bother me as I never had a problem and I could check out community presets and all that great stuff. I became dependent on it (again, proof of an awesome program!) and it was as essential (if not moreso!) as Active Sky, REX, Navigraph charts...

So, when it's missing, you really miss it. and when it's missing because a server is down, it's annoying. I'd rather not sim than have to go back and awkwardly float around the cockpit with my space key held down like some chump when I'm hand-flying an approach and I just want to glance at something. But, others have no problem with that ;)

If Chaseplane was a rubbish program, no one would have noticed the outage yesterday and they certainly wouldn't have created two separate threads about it! 

It's in my top-5 flight sim addons. (maybe even top 3!) Good luck to Keven. I really can't wait to see what he has in store for us.

• Upvote 3

Neil Andrews.

Fight or Flight - YouTube | Twitter

2 hours ago, Chock said:

Not having bought Chaseplane (actually for the very reason people were complaining about, i.e. it requiring an online connection), I wasn't one of the many complaining about that outage, but I did see the thread where people were doing so and was amazed at the amount of crybabies there were whining about it. Some of the comments about their flight sims being rendered unusable by not having an add-on working were laughable; like they couldn't hold down the spacebar and move a mouse to alter the view, oh, what a hardship lol.

Pressing space didn't actually work for me.  I put it down to some kind of alteration that ChasePlane had made to my default camera settings?

Corsair Obsidian 900D, ASUS Maximus XI Formula Motherboard, Intel Core i9 9900K @ 5.2GHz (HT off), 32GB G-Skill Trident Z DDR4 @ 3200MHz, 2TB SeaGate FireCuda NVME SSD, 1TB Samsung 970 EVO M.2 PCIe SSD, 2 x 6TB WD Black 7200rpm SATA, nVidia GeForce RTX 2080 Ti, ASUS ROG curved ultrawide 1440p monitor.  All water-cooled with EKWB blocks.

6 minutes ago, adyfoot said:

Pressing space didn't actually work for me.  I put it down to some kind of alteration that ChasePlane had made to my default camera settings?

Fair enough, but one would assume that using the menus to select a usable view whilst Chaseplane was down would still have been a workaround, or even editing a cemra config file as a workaround and having a 'spare' for that purpose.

Alan Bradbury

Check out my youtube flight sim videos: Here

Some people have too much time on their hands and like nothing more than to complain - winge about something :mellow:, better to spend time watching the recent FSPackages ChasePlane presentaion at the recent Flight Sim show at RAF Cosford. It may provide some answers :biggrin:

1 hour ago, brucefriday123 said:

Some people have too much time on their hands and like nothing more than to complain - winge about something :mellow:

And what exactly are you referring to?

2 hours ago, adyfoot said:

Ah that's great - exactly what they should've posted as a response to the thread here.  Would've straightened things out for me no problem.  Instead, I saw a bit of an odd response that was unnecessarily grumpy and didn't address the outage.  I'm not following FSFX Packages on Facebook so wouldn't have seen that link if you didn't post it here.

Couldn't agree more.

Why does a camera system require an internet connection anyway?

David Porrett

8 hours ago, GlenWright said:

I'd love to know the details as to why the outage occurred.

If it was related to this: 

http://www.wbaltv.com/article/comcast-users-report-massive-internet-outage/13438155

Then it's entirely outside of the developers control.  In fact, this issue "today" is actually preventing me from working (real world work that pays the bills and buys the toys).

I can understand and appreciate some of the comments, some where simply just rude and agenda filled, others were just from frustration.  I can certainly sympathize with the frustration, and I know Keven is working on "alternative" solutions for when the product goes "live" (aka not Beta).

The online connection requirement for protecting the developers work has been highly successful (simple Google search can reveal just how successful this method of theft prevention has been relative to other big name 3rd party content providers ... you'll not find any viable cracks for CP). 

Cheers, Rob.

As mentionned before, if you want info on outages (past and future), they are always posted on our Blog, website homepage and our Facebook page: https://fsfxpackages.com/en/blog/2017/11/05/server-outage-nov-5-2017/.

I will close this topic for the same reason I locked the other ones. If you want to comment on the topic, please post them in the pinned thread at the top of the forum section.

• Upvote 1

Keven Menard 
Technical Director, //42