Sign in to follow this  
ErichB

Chaseplane outage - we are a harsh crowd.

Yesterday's outage showed two things. 

1.  The simming crowd are fickle and change attitude like the wind. 

2.  You are only as good as your last mistake in this business.

Thankfully I am not a developer - not sure how you guys deal with the flack you get when things go wrong, but it must be pretty disconcerting. But looking at yesterday's reactions, it does  show what a great product Chaseplane really is and how reliant people have become on it - even if it's still a beta.  (it was great even in Alpha).  I thought Opus and Ezdok were great,  but there's no way I'd want to go back to either anymore - not even as a backup.

Thanks for sorting it out quickly.  

• Upvote 1

It depends on how you want to see things. The outage might also have demonstrated how important your initial decisions (like being online obligation) can be at a later stage when developing a software...

• Upvote 2

Ahmet Can

5 minutes ago, costamesa said:

It depends on how you want to see things. The outage might also have demonstrated how important your initial decisions (like being online obligation) can be at a later stage when developing a software...

My commentary was more about the virtues of the product, not about business or infrastructure decisions.  We know offline is coming.

Yes and I agree with you. Mine was just another perspective.

CP is a great product. Or have the potential to be a great product. The reaction also shows how people are already relying on it even when it is only beta. And that is how people react when they are "deprived off" what they are relying.

Ahmet Can

1 hour ago, ErichB said:

Yesterday's outage showed two things. 

1.  The simming crowd are fickle and change attitude like the wind. 

2.  You are only as good as your last mistake in this business.

Thankfully I am not a developer - not sure how you guys deal with the flack you get when things go wrong, but it must be pretty disconcerting. But looking at yesterday's reactions, it does  show what a great product Chaseplane really is and how reliant people have become on it - even if it's still a beta.  (it was great even in Alpha).  I thought Opus and Ezdok were great,  but there's no way I'd want to go back to either anymore - not even as a backup.

Thanks for sorting it out quickly.  

Well...my two cents...

1. First of all I will not tend to generalise things since only a "handfull" of users comented on the outage (be assured that CP is used by much more than those who commented). You must also know that people deal the way or the other with the fact of not beeing able to use something they paid for (I know now comes the thing with development...see point 2)

2. CP in Alpha or Beta...yes again this could or could not be a valid point:

a) You paid for it and it is buggy or crashes somethimes on you? Yes..this could be seen as development

b) You paid for it but can't use it at all? Well this is another kind of trouble....

3. Some of users (and developers) don't like the idea of releasing unfinished products and asking for a fee for it. Imagine all devs releasing Alphas or Betas, making you pay for it and not beeing able to use the products...would be very frustrating indeed

As you see, there are alway many sides (or at least 2) of any issue. I believe that some of the statements are way off (or way way off) but that's the way it is out there.

I think some of these guys reacted like that because CP seams to be in development since ages (ages = long long time for a camera product). And I also think that many of the users complained a lot about the necessity of an internet connection which was announced that it will be removed and again took a lot of time to implement it (it's not implemented yet...........!). I also believe many of the users complained about the performance (I was one of them) and I feel, it has not been improoved at all (or not by much).

My opinion is that CP has to go from Beta to Final soon so that the team would be "forced" on improoving things rather then commenting..."it's a beta..."....

I love CP: I like the interface, I like the GUI, I like how easy you can work with it, I like some of the new features it has and I like that Keven reacts quickly to issues (even mails).

I hate CP only for it's requiered internet connection (which will be fixed soon) but mostly for it's performance (which I feel needs to be way better).

Gerald K. - Germany

Core i7 10700 / ASUS ROG Gaming-E / ASUS Strix  RTX 3090 OC / 32 Gb RAM GSKILL.

"Flightstick" = X56 HOTAS RGB Logitech

I don't think "buggy" is the main issue, at least not for me.  To some degree the current service structure (online) is design to minimize piracy.  Developers have a right to protect their intellectual property and most customers understand and encourage it. However, there's a fine line between anti piracy measures and unfettered access to the service your "paying customer" rightfully expect (even demand).  Cross the line and you antagonize the people that make your business venture a success.

Double edged sword I guess.

Bill

• Upvote 1

Bill Moore

ChasePlane is an excellent product - that much is apparent from the outcry in the topic.

As for the developer response to the outage topic, I'm less than chuffed. Not even so much as an apology. I'd love to know the details as to why the outage occurred.

What I saw yesterday during the chase plane outage was some of the worst outrages ever seen by some of the most frequented posters on avsim, lost all respect for them :/

Some of them have serious first world issues. 

We sometimes face major government sites downtime in our country and haven't seen such reaction .

Seriously gents , Its a game learn to relax when such things happen .

I wanted to sim badly too , made up the whole flightplan etc and then bammm no chaseplane.

Thankfully dint go bonkers yelling at the dev.

Kind regards,

Jaffer

42 minutes ago, GlenWright said:

ChasePlane is an excellent product - that much is apparent from the outcry in the topic.

As for the developer response to the outage topic, I'm less than chuffed. Not even so much as an apology. I'd love to know the details as to why the outage occurred.

Me too.  I get that it's frustrating for the developer but he seriously annoyed me with that response - we're not all unreasonable trolls.  An explanation as to what happened, and how the issue will be prevented from happening again, is not too much to ask for.

Corsair Obsidian 900D, ASUS Maximus XI Formula Motherboard, Intel Core i9 9900K @ 5.2GHz (HT off), 32GB G-Skill Trident Z DDR4 @ 3200MHz, 2TB SeaGate FireCuda NVME SSD, 1TB Samsung 970 EVO M.2 PCIe SSD, 2 x 6TB WD Black 7200rpm SATA, nVidia GeForce RTX 2080 Ti, ASUS ROG curved ultrawide 1440p monitor.  All water-cooled with EKWB blocks.

33 minutes ago, jafferhussain11 said:

What I saw yesterday during the chase plane outage was some of the worst outrages ever seen by some of the most frequented posters on avsim, lost all respect for them :/

We sometimes face major government sites downtime in our country and haven't seen such reaction .

I wanted to sim badly too , made up the whole flightplan etc and then bammm no chaseplane.

Kind regards,

Jaffer

Hi Jaffer,

I think there are a couple of reasons that people reacted the way they did - and I'm not making excuses for the over-exaggeration or rudeness of some people.  Firstly, this isn't the first time this kind of outage has happened - people expected it to be resolved from the first time.  Secondly, the developer ought to have reasonably been expected to foresee this kind of thing when he implemented the copy protection method he chose.  

I think people are generally fairly supportive of unforeseeable events that cause outages - but the CP outage was entirely foreseeable and preventable.

Regards,

Ady

Corsair Obsidian 900D, ASUS Maximus XI Formula Motherboard, Intel Core i9 9900K @ 5.2GHz (HT off), 32GB G-Skill Trident Z DDR4 @ 3200MHz, 2TB SeaGate FireCuda NVME SSD, 1TB Samsung 970 EVO M.2 PCIe SSD, 2 x 6TB WD Black 7200rpm SATA, nVidia GeForce RTX 2080 Ti, ASUS ROG curved ultrawide 1440p monitor.  All water-cooled with EKWB blocks.

This wasn't meant to be another venting thread.  I'm pretty sure Keven get's it.

But come the end of this month, we will have Offline and a Recorder function and FSFX Packages will again be everyone's favourite developer.    The bi-polarity...

45 minutes ago, jafferhussain11 said:

Kind regards,

Jaffer

While i agree that some might have chosen the wrong words to express their anger, i can understand it to some extend. However, this poor horse has not just been beaten to death by now, it has been hung, drawn and quartered. its all about protecting your intellectual property without hurting legitimate customers. Its a payware developers responsibility....

And yes, its a first world problem, exactly like about 99% of all problems we are facing each day and sometimes raging about. Remember that next time you shake your fist at a slow driver in front of you.

1 hour ago, GlenWright said:

21 minutes ago, adyfoot said:

Me too.  I get that it's frustrating for the developer but he seriously annoyed me with that response - we're not all unreasonable trolls.  An explanation as to what happened, and how the issue will be prevented from happening again, is not too much to ask for.

They posted this on facebook: https://fsfxpackages.com/en/blog/2017/11/05/server-outage-nov-5-2017/

• Upvote 1

Not having bought Chaseplane (actually for the very reason people were complaining about, i.e. it requiring an online connection), I wasn't one of the many complaining about that outage, but I did see the thread where people were doing so and was amazed at the amount of crybabies there were whining about it. Some of the comments about their flight sims being rendered unusable by not having an add-on working were laughable; like they couldn't hold down the spacebar and move a mouse to alter the view, oh, what a hardship lol.

It does say on the product page: 'Chaseplane is currently in Beta, you might stumble upon some issues'. They can't make it any clearer than that, can they? Sometimes it's embarrassing to witness the whining that comes out of a bunch of adults over their toy aeroplanes having a glitch.

Buy into a beta, expect the odd problem; don't want to put up with any problems, don't buy it until it is finished. Not rocket science.

• Upvote 3

Alan Bradbury

Check out my youtube flight sim videos: Here

53 minutes ago, Chock said:

Some of the comments about their flight sims being rendered unusable by not having an add-on working were laughable; like they couldn't hold down the spacebar and move a mouse to alter the view,

To be fair, you do become accustomed to using your sim in a particular way.  Head tracking is a very natural way to interface with a virtual environment in a VC.  It's not that people can't use a spacebar and mouse to look around, but lets's face it - it's an immersion breaker.    If that was the only way i could flightsim, I'd probably give it up entirely.    Pressing keys on a keyboard and using a mouse is no way to flightsim.  So I get people's frustration.

I don't think the fact that it's a beta has anything to do with this issue to be fair.   It could be a fully completed V1.0 product and still be reliant on the operational stability of the server provider to prevent falling over.

• Upvote 2