Sign in to follow this  
Navigator43

GTN 650/750

Good day simmers, how do I get the GTN integrated into the DC 6? Thanks

Angus Rowlands: i7 8700 RTX Asus Strix 2080, 16 GB RAM

Hi.

I would think you need Flight 1 GTN  650 in you system then hit the button in realism options in the DC-6 , GTN750 is not in the options list as addon GPS/GTN unless its the same unit and i am miss understand you. as i dont have it .

Addon GPS options i see listed are Flight 1 GNS 430 , Flight 1 GTN650 or Reality-XP GNS 430..

Also going by the Panel folder PMDG have a GPS.cab file in the panel , so weather the Reality and Flight one put a cab in there or you have to i dont know , you would need to consult the install instructions for them units.,

Regards alan cottrill.

Alan Cottrill.

9 hours ago, SO666 said:

Hi.

I would think you need Flight 1 GTN  650 in you system then hit the button in realism options in the DC-6 , GTN750 is not in the options list as addon GPS/GTN unless its the same unit and i am miss understand you. as i dont have it .

Addon GPS options i see listed are Flight 1 GNS 430 , Flight 1 GTN650 or Reality-XP GNS 430..

Also going by the Panel folder PMDG have a GPS.cab file in the panel , so weather the Reality and Flight one put a cab in there or you have to i dont know , you would need to consult the install instructions for them units.,

Regards alan cottrill.

Thanks for the reply I have the GTN 650-750 

10 hours ago, aushie said:

Thanks for the reply I have the GTN 650-750 

The one from Flight1 or the new one from RealityXP? The PMDG DC-6 supports (so far)  the GTN650 from Flight1 only. When you have the Flight1 GTN650, you should be able to select it via the realism-options (a 2D-panel that comes with the PMDG DC-6).

9 hours ago, TheFinn88 said:

The one from Flight1 or the new one from RealityXP? The PMDG DC-6 supports (so far)  the GTN650 from Flight1 only. When you have the Flight1 GTN650, you should be able to select it via the realism-options (a 2D-panel that comes with the PMDG DC-6).

Flight 1

I have the Flight1 GTN 650 installed in the pmdg dc-6,but haven't been able to control the autopilot feature...Anyone can help me on this one...I have attempted different settings of the Sperry A-12 autopilot control on the dc-6 and it doesn't work in NAV or GPS modes...I have used "FSC version 8 and the program  will guide the aircraft to various set VOR's...

Bob A

Bob Adams

Make sure that...

-- GTN 650 is set to GPS (toggle between GPS and VLOC using the CDI button on the default nav page - GPS will follow the GPS route, VLOC will tune the VOR set in NAV 1 on the GTN 650.  To track the VOR, you've also got to select a radial on the OBI gauge on the panel).

-- Autopilot gyro switch is on.

-- Autopilot mechanical disconnect (more accurately described as the clutch) is on - do this only after you've turned the autopilot gyro on)

-- Three-position selector on top of the autopilot set to Localizer (use this setting even if you're tracking the GPS course - use Gyropilot only as a wing leveler/altitude hold, or to select a compass course using the steering knob; use Approach only to tune an ILS, with the ILS tuned on the GTN's NAV 1 and the GTN's CDI set to VLOC).  

Hope that helps.  Sorry that it's a lot of information in a compact couple of lines.  There's more detail about the autopilot controls in the PMDG documentation, and you can find Garmin manuals via the Internet (and tutorials on YouTube) that will fill you in on GTN settings, and other tricks to make it dance.

Let us know if this gets you going.

• Upvote 1

On 2/9/2018 at 3:48 AM, Alan_A said:

Make sure that...

-- GTN 650 is set to GPS (toggle between GPS and VLOC using the CDI button on the default nav page - GPS will follow the GPS route, VLOC will tune the VOR set in NAV 1 on the GTN 650.  To track the VOR, you've also got to select a radial on the OBI gauge on the panel).

-- Autopilot gyro switch is on.

-- Autopilot mechanical disconnect (more accurately described as the clutch) is on - do this only after you've turned the autopilot gyro on)

-- Three-position selector on top of the autopilot set to Localizer (use this setting even if you're tracking the GPS course - use Gyropilot only as a wing leveler/altitude hold, or to select a compass course using the steering knob; use Approach only to tune an ILS, with the ILS tuned on the GTN's NAV 1 and the GTN's CDI set to VLOC).  

Hope that helps.  Sorry that it's a lot of information in a compact couple of lines.  There's more detail about the autopilot controls in the PMDG documentation, and you can find Garmin manuals via the Internet (and tutorials on YouTube) that will fill you in on GTN settings, and other tricks to make it dance.

Let us know if this gets you going.

Thank you very much by your help. But when I'm following these steps, my aircraft is turning to CRS360. In F1 GTN CONFIG I must to keep the autopilot on "NAV" mode or "HEADING HOLD"?

4 hours ago, jovejunior said:

Thank you very much by your help. But when I'm following these steps, my aircraft is turning to CRS360. In F1 GTN CONFIG I must to keep the autopilot on "NAV" mode or "HEADING HOLD"?

I've never changed the F1 GTN CONFIG settings from default, so in my setup the autopilot is set to NAV.  What steps are you taking before the aircraft turns to 360?  And what are you trying to get it to do?  I'm going to venture a guess that you want it to track a radial to a VOR.  If that's the case, there's an additional step - you have to set the VOR receiver to the radial you want to track, using the knob on the OBS gauge on the instrument panel.  If so, here are the steps you'd take, in order: 1) set the GTN 650 to VLOC (by pressing the CDI button on the default nav page; 2) set the NAV 1 radio on the GTN 650 to the correct VOR frequency, and 3) set the radial you want to track on the OBS gauge - it turns the compass card on the gauge.  If the autopilot is already engaged and set to Localizer, and if you're relatively close to the radial, the autopilot will intercept it and track it.  If you're far away from the radial, you'll need to navigate toward it at a relatively shallow intercept angle - you can fly by hand, or set the autopilot to Gyropilot and set your course with the steering knob.  Of course, if the autopilot isn't engaged, none of this will happen - you'll need to turn it on using the steps I outlined above.

Hope this is helpful - let us know - and also let us know if you're trying to do something different than what I outlined here.  Whatever it is, I'm sure we can figure it out.

4 hours ago, Alan_A said:

I've never changed the F1 GTN CONFIG settings from default, so in my setup the autopilot is set to NAV.  What steps are you taking before the aircraft turns to 360?  And what are you trying to get it to do?  I'm going to venture a guess that you want it to track a radial to a VOR.  If that's the case, there's an additional step - you have to set the VOR receiver to the radial you want to track, using the knob on the OBS gauge on the instrument panel.  If so, here are the steps you'd take, in order: 1) set the GTN 650 to VLOC (by pressing the CDI button on the default nav page; 2) set the NAV 1 radio on the GTN 650 to the correct VOR frequency, and 3) set the radial you want to track on the OBS gauge - it turns the compass card on the gauge.  If the autopilot is already engaged and set to Localizer, and if you're relatively close to the radial, the autopilot will intercept it and track it.  If you're far away from the radial, you'll need to navigate toward it at a relatively shallow intercept angle - you can fly by hand, or set the autopilot to Gyropilot and set your course with the steering knob.  Of course, if the autopilot isn't engaged, none of this will happen - you'll need to turn it on using the steps I outlined above.

Hope this is helpful - let us know - and also let us know if you're trying to do something different than what I outlined here.  Whatever it is, I'm sure we can figure it out.

Ok, i mantained my GTN config on NAV MODE. Let's to the steps:

1 - CDI on GTN set to GPS

2 - AP ON

3 - Sperry Autopilot Mode on LOCALIZER

4 - GYRO PILOT ON

and he start to turn to CRS360, even if I have no VOR on radio NAV.

Is there any problem to have that red flags on "Garmin GPS/VOR/LOC/GS Indicator [red circle on img bellow" ?

Image of panel

Edited by jovejunior

jovejunior,

Another member had a similar issue to you with the aircraft turning to 360 degrees.

According to the F1GTN_Setup_and_Users_Guide.pdf, on page 15 it describes an issue with how the flight plan is loaded into the GTN. The other member that had issues had to enter their flight plan manually into the GTN to correct their issue.

Not sure if this info helps.

Rob

1 hour ago, rmeier said:

jovejunior,

Another member had a similar issue to you with the aircraft turning to 360 degrees.

According to the F1GTN_Setup_and_Users_Guide.pdf, on page 15 it describes an issue with how the flight plan is loaded into the GTN. The other member that had issues had to enter their flight plan manually into the GTN to correct their issue.

Not sure if this info helps.

Rob

Thank your for your help! But, actually, I only enter my FPL add wpt by wpt on GTN...I never loaded it entire before.

Using the PMDG GNS 430 the aircraft flies OK. Following a VOR CRS, and following the GPS track. But when I use the GTN GPS, I have that issue reported before.

@jovejunior - The red flags shouldn't be a problem.  They're just indicating that your Nav 1 radio isn't turned to a live frequency.  That would be an issue if you were trying to track a VOR.  But you're not, you're trying to follow a GPS flightplan.  So it's nothing to worry about.

The only thing I can see wrong in your series of steps is that you should be doing them in this order: 1, 4, 2, 3.  That is, set you GTN 650 to GPS; turn on power to the AP with the gyropilot switch, then connect the autopilot to the flight controls by moving the autopilot mechanical disconnect lever (again, this should really be called the "clutch") to the "on" position.  In other words, first power it up, then engage.

Another detail - when you turn the autopilot on and engage it, it'll do whatever the mode selector is set to.  If it's set to "gyropilot,' the aircraft will follow its current heading and pitch.  The final step is to change it to "localizer" - assuming the GPS is also set to "GPS" and not "VLOC" - it should start to follow the GPS flightplan.  However - and this is another gotcha - it may not be able to do this if your heading is far off from the GPS flightplan course.  If that's the case, it may start hunting around or circling. Best practice is to use the gyropilot mode and the steering knob (or just hand-fly it) util you're on a relatively shallow intercept angle to the flightplan course.  That way, when you switch to "localizer," the autopilot can pick up the course.

Now, having gotten all that out of the way - something else may be going on, because... if you have these problems only with the F1 GTN, and not with the PMDG GNS 430, then the problem is more likely to be 1) with the F1 GTN or 2) the way it's interacting with the DC-6.

So... next set of questions... does the F1 GTN work in other aircraft?  If not, then you may have a problem with your installation.  If the F1 GTN is OK in other aircraft, then there's an issue with the way it's communicating with the DC-6.  In that case, you might want to open a ticket at PMDG or post on the new, official PMDG forums.

With luck, we can manage to narrow this down.

• Like 1

@jovejunior:

I think I was able to replicate your issue with the flight plan tracking.

I tried to enlarge the photo you provided in an earlier post...I couldn't tell if the green "GPS" logo was illuminated in the lower left quadrant of the GPS/VOR/LOC/GS Indicator.

After re-reading p15 of the F1 User Manual, I could reproduce your issue with the aircraft following the flight plan vs the 360 degree heading.

On the GTN 650 unit, if you hover your mouse over what looks like a blue memory card on the left side of the unit, it should display the Active Navigation Source. A right click on your mouse will change the source between the default P3D GPS and the F1 GTN. (You'll notice GPS logo will light up/turn off as you toggle between the two modes.)

I could repeatedly toggle the aircraft between the flight plan and 360 degree heading during my test flight this morning.

Hope this works for you!

Regards, Rob

• Like 1