Sign in to follow this  
birdguy

The case for FSX...

I know this is the P3D Forum but I am dumping my P3Dv4 installation and going back to FSX.

I can't seem to connect with P3D.  Lots of little things like some Orbx airports that don't work in FAT areas while all the others do; CTDs that seem to happen for no reason; and just the general level of comfort I felt with FSX that I don't withP3D.

I'm an airplane collector.  I collect them even if I am only going to fly them once.  And I have to start that all over again in P3Dbecause so few FSX aircraft work in P3Dv4.  I miss the military ai traffic I had with FSX.  But mainly I was comfortable and satisfied with FSX.  But, like  most simmers, I felt I had to push the envelope when new stuff came along.

I don't know if I can adequately explain this. 

Last summer I won a brand new 2018 Toyota Camry in a drawing.  The  first significant thing I had ever won.  I was delirious with my new car.  I gave my 4 year old Toyota Prius to my wife and proudly drove my new Camry...for about two weeks.  Then I gave the new Camry to my wife and took my old Prius back.  It fit me like a well worn pair of slippers while the Camry felt like a new pair of shoes I had to break in.

I supposed flight simming is a personal thing.  Like the brand of toothpaste or deodorant you use.  You try the newest thing in a commercial you see but revert back to the old standbys.

There's noting wrong with P3D.  I just prefer the familiarity and comfort lever of FSX.  Having been a pilot in past I know no simulator will ever be capable of replicating the feeling of sitting alone at the controls of a Cherokee five thousand feet above the ground with your destiny in your own hands so I'm not going to try and chase it.  I just want to play the game.

Ya know, I don't own a smart phone.  At this stage of my life (a few weeks short of my 84th birthday) I just want to avoid learning curves.  I don't carry my old flip phone around with me either.  I have not been assimilated into the continuum.  The same with flight simming. 

Noel

An analog man trapped in a digital world.

• Upvote 10

The tires are worn.  The shocks are shot.  The steering is wobbly.  But the engine still runs fine.

Hey, you just have to go with what works for you!

.........IBTL

• Upvote 2

Chris

Hello birdguy, you will get no gripe from me. The world would be extremely boring if we all thought the same way. As for myself, I re-install FSX ever couple of years and can't understand why I keep trying to go back. (but I still do the same thing every couple of years). I completely support your choice of FSX. It's sort of like I love a good sardine, my wife thinks I've lost it, but we ain't gettin' divorced over it. 

Intel(R) Core(TM) i7-10700F CPU @ 2.90GHz (8 cores) Hyper on, Evga RTX 3060 12 Gig, 32 GB ram, Windows 11, P3D v6, and MSFS 2020 and a couple of SSD's

You know one day old is just old. But one can still keep the old , like I do, to go back to occasionally. I still fly FS1-FS3 on a 286/12 occasionally. I even run a very old ATARI 2600 and SEGA Master System once-n-awhile. My most anticipated flight sim of all time is still Flight Assignment: ATP by SubLogic, I waited as if I was dying, starving in the middle of the Sahara Desert. But P3D V4, because it is 64bit, and well supported by 3rd parties, is a very close second. VR catching on with more and more features, keeps me looking forward, there is nothing like it....you are there. 

No doubt FSX is/was great, enjoy it.

58 minutes ago, birdguy said:

I just want to avoid learning curves

Yes, I can imagine that at a certain moment in your life you are done with 'new' and 'progress' and so on and you simply want to enjoy whatever you've got. I am quite a few years younger than you are but I notice I also am getting tired of this constant need for change and 'progress'. If you can actually improve something I am all for it but too often things are changed nowadays just because people expect change at least once a year, no matter what. It's getting tiresome. But well, I can understand your decision and I hope you will enjoy FSX for decades to come. :happy:

I have not been assimilated into the continuum.  The same with flight simming. 

Beautiful. Today's world of technology sometimes is just "because we can" and serves very little purpose.

In vehicles, the new TV screen touch and point and swipe and voice this and that are a distraction from the real world engagement. Should be banned (opps I'm ranting off topic).

I keep my FSX, still have P3DV3+ but have moved almost totally to P3DV4+ and XP11. Soon I will delete V3+ but not FSX for some of the reasons you mention.

I am always slow to "clean up" stuff.

As long as you are happy with it...giving you the entertainment you like...no worries, enjoy.

Bryan

• Upvote 1

Bryan Wallis aka "fltsimguy"

Maple Bay, British Columbia

Near CAM3

As someone driving round in a 20 year old MX5 through choice, I say go with what you like. :cool:

• Upvote 1

Alan Bradbury

Check out my youtube flight sim videos: Here

FSX enjoys a number of advantages over P3d.  First is price.  A non academic version of P3d costs hundreds of dollars.  A copy of FSX, Steam Edition, can often be had for under $20.  This leads to the second advantage:  a large use base.  If you compare the number of people still using FSX, they greatly outnumber those using P3d and X-Plane.  This means developers should want to develop for this userbase, just because there is more money out there.  The third major advantage is because FSX has been around so long, there is a huge backcatalog of both freeware and payware.

The third advantage is what keeps me coming back to FSX.  (I have both FSX and P3d installed.)  I have found that P3d can misbehave just as much as FSX.  It always takes time to install and setup a new  program.

Of course, the best answer may be:  if it ain't broke, don't fix it.

I know where you are coming from, and I do enjoy starting up FSX once in a while.

FSX is installed on its own SSD and looks much the same as it has done for the past 10 years, with Orbx Global etc to give it colour..

However, and this is probably just my personal issue, I really notice the popping up of Autogen now, in particular clumps of trees, and typically soon after, land the airplane.  I then switch to P3DV4 (my first P3D release) and enjoy the stable outside view, with lots of nice detail and no sudden popping of anything...  :cool:

Very nice indeed..

Bert

At first I thought I was reading about me! Then I realized I never had P3D. Coming up on 80 now, don't own a cell or smart fone, I'm tired of new. I'm tired of learning because someone forces me to buy something new because they quit supporting something that worked just fine! I don't like whistles and bells and certainly not more of them.

I went to Best Buy about 2 months ago and told the guy - I'm here to buy a dumb TV! I want a fricking remote that only has ON/OFF, UP/DOWN, LOUDER/QUIETER/MUTE!  True story!

And I don't do FMC's!  :biggrin:

Bruce

• Upvote 3

I have never minded change but there is lots today that is planned redundancy because big companies like to keep their cash flow going.

1 hour ago, brucets said:

I went to Best Buy about 2 months ago and told the guy - I'm here to buy a dumb TV! I want a fricking remote that only has ON/OFF, UP/DOWN, LOUDER/QUIETER/MUTE!  True story!

Too funny and I agree, except now the best stuff is on monthly subscription like Netflix or shoumi.

Bryan Wallis aka "fltsimguy"

Maple Bay, British Columbia

Near CAM3

I was talked into a "smart phone" by the guy at the Verizon store. I decommissioned my beautiful little flip phone in favor of this huge, ungainly smartphone which is nothing like a telephone. This contract runs out in 6 months and then I will decommission the "smart phone", and re initiate my flip phone. Newer, sexier, more expensive is not necessarily better. Smartphone battery lasts maybe a day while the flip phone lasted days.

I run FSX and love it. No knock on P3D or XP. I'm just comfortable. This illustrates what a great, all inclusive passion that is flight simulation. There are guys and gals like me who just like to fly. Some enjoy tweaking and working the software issues. Some love scenery. Some love aircraft. Some love painting. Some love creating screenies. The breadth and depth is awesome.

• Upvote 2

Yeah, Verizon suckered me into a 'smart phone' several years ago. The silly thing spent far more time on the charger than it ever did with me using it. I have a free phone courtesy of being poor as dirt that is mostly "just a phone." The battery on it will last up to a full week between charging.

I discontinued the "smart phone" when the contract ran out and now use it to take an occasional picture or two.

Oh, and don't get me started on remote controls! The remote for my Comcast HDTV box has a ridiculous number of tiny buttons that my fat fingers have trouble using. :blink:

Fr. Bill    

AOPA Member: 07141481 AARP Member: 3209010556

Avsim Board of Directors | Avsim Forums Moderator

Good news guys we can go back to when it all started.

https://thec64.com/

My first try at flight sim was on my daughters vic20.

• Upvote 1

Raymond Fry.

PMDG_Banner_747_Enthusiast.jpg