Sign in to follow this  
spil

QOTS v3

Good day all.

I want to present a problem I only have when flying the latest version of your great simulator.
My operating system:
Intel i7, 2.9 GHz
Windows 10, 64 bit
16 GB RAM
2 GB VRAM, 2 monitors
Active Sky 2016
FDC Live cockpit 2011

Scenery:
ORBX and some airports like ENGM, EKCH, ESGG, EDDF, KMIA, KLAX, KSFO.

No other software used and same configuration has been present now when I have perfomed test flights below.
Route I have been flying many times now is the same, only one way to make sure where and why it crashes.
ENGM - ESGG, very short flight but perfect for test flight.

Have tried many, many flights now with the QOTS v3. On approach or right after landing on the roll out the FSX crashes to desktop.
After a number of the exact same problems I reduced the graphic settings to absolute minimum with no effect. Same thing happens.
Then I change aircraft to your version of B738 NGX. No problems on the exact same route with maximum graphic settings. If works very well.
Just to be sure I have reduced the graphic settings so that also is the exact same in both aircraft models, no problem whatsoever in the B738 NGX.

This must mean that something very heavy for the system is going on in the 747, which I can understand, it is a lot of calculation and functions in this version, and I love it until it crashes.
But when I take a look at the specifications you should be able to fly it and I fullfill the requirements with my computer setting.

Next step is to test the QOTS v3 in Windows 7 Ultimate, which I had before I updated to Windows 10.
No problems at all, if flies very well and no crashes.

This must mean there is something in Windows that prevents QOTS to fly well in Windows 10, right?
Do you know what the causes can be?

When I look at the crsh reports I get some different from time to time, among these;
- StackHash_3e9b (PCH_03_FROM_KERNELBASE+0x0017A34D)
- Out of memory (also with minimum graphic settings)

I am not fond of disabling KB updates since they are for security reason. Some have found it a way to get around crashes but I have not tried that since many of the KB's are not present.
My update to Windows 10 was made in September this year.

Would really like to investigate and follow what is causing this problem.
Since I am a pilot in real life with experience of both aircraft models (B738 and B748) I must say, it is much easier to fly in real life than trying to get my computer to understand FSX :)
However I would like to follow up this problem and see if there will be an update for Windows 10 that solves this problem.

Do you have an idea why this happens and what the cause might be?

Thank you.

2 hours ago, spil said:

I want to present a problem I only have when flying the latest version of your great simulator.

Also I experience FSX crashes immediately after the latest updates. 

A computer reboot fixed it, I think.

2 hours ago, spil said:

This must mean there is something in Windows that prevents QOTS to fly well in Windows 10, right?

I use Windows 7... 

3 hours ago, spil said:

Would really like to investigate and follow what is causing this problem.

Not sure, whether the forum can help here, rather a ticket at PMDG's . 

Andreas Berg
pmdg_j41_banner.jpgpmdg_trijet.jpg

PMDG 737NGX -- PMDG J41 -- PMDG 77L/77F/77W -- PMDG B744 -- i7 8700K PC1151 12MB 3.7GHz -- Corsair Cooling H100X -- DDR4 16GB TridentZ -- MSI Z370 Tomahawk -- MSI RTX2080 DUKE 8G OC -- SSD 500GB M.2 -- Thermaltake 550W --

4 hours ago, spil said:

When I look at the crsh reports I get some different from time to time, among these;
- StackHash_3e9b (PCH_03_FROM_KERNELBASE+0x0017A34D)
- Out of memory (also with minimum graphic settings)

You're running out of memory in the sim. Something is leaking, or you've stuffed too much scenery into the sim.

• Upvote 3

Kyle Rodgers

5 hours ago, spil said:

2 GB VRAM

Is it possible that you’re running out of VRAM?

The OS is expected to make room in the VAS allocated to FSX for the additional video memory requirements if  it runs out of VRAM.  In otherwords, his exposure to OOM gets worse with only 2GB VRAM.

Two different problems, OOM and stackhash.  The OOM is easy to explain.  The stackhash indicates that something faulted but the OS doesn't know the faulting module so it is providing a hashcode for the stack to be used in debugging.  This is an indication of something like a video driver problem.  I've also had various addon dll modules cause stackhash events.  Happy hunting.

Dan Downs KCRP

Hi
Thank you for responses.
It is strange that I get OOM even when video is set to FSX minimum in Windows 10, but it never tells me OOM in Windows 7 with exact same configuration.
That is why I wonder and keep investigating what is wrong with Win 10.

VR, well what I have read VR doesn't matter since FSX only uses the RAM.Right?

Well the hunt keeps on going. Sorry for late replies sometimes but usually I am up in the air :)

18 minutes ago, spil said:

VR, well what I have read VR doesn't matter since FSX only uses the RAM.Right?

Not quite, all process by FSX is in the CPU but everything you see rendered is from video memory.  I don't think this is contributing to your low memory.

Keep in mind you only have 4Gb of VAS.  FSX will easily take 1Gb of it, and the B744 will take about 800Mb (0.8Gb), which leaves you less than 2.2GB for weather, traffic, scenery and anything else running in FSX.  It all has to fit in the same bag.  Perhaps FSX uses more in Win10 than Win7.  Get a copy of Process Explorer and investigate.

Eventually you will migrate to a 64b simulator...., there is much more than just memory issues to gain.

Dan Downs KCRP

Good day all!

So now I have upgraded my graphics card to a ASUS 1060 Dual, 6 GB, OC.
Seconds after take off I get the annoying message from Windows "Your system has run out of memory" and FSX crashes to desktop.

So guys, it had nothing to do with the graphics card, that was a very expensive try.
Do you have any new suggestions?

The problem report I get now is this;

eskrivning
Felaktig programsökväg:    C:\Program Files (x86)\Microsoft Games\Microsoft Flight Simulator X\fsx.exe

Problemsignatur
Händelsenamn:    BEX
Programnamn:    fsx.exe
Programversion:    10.0.61472.0
Programtidsstämpel:    475e17d3
Namn på felmodul:    StackHash_3e9b
Modulens version:    0.0.0.0
Tidsstämpel för felmodul:    00000000
Undantagsförskjutning:    PCH_03_FROM_KERNELBASE+0x00179F7D
Undantagskod:    c0000005
Undantagsdata:    00000008
OS-version:    10.0.15063.2.0.0.256.48
Språkvariant-ID:    1053
Ytterligare information 1:    3e9b
Ytterligare information 2:    3e9b7846e3f8a4b53b4c50c361d8800c
Ytterligare information 3:    62a3
Ytterligare information 4:    62a347caf62480433d89cc45656f7434

Extra information om problemet
Bucket-ID:    e2a9097e0d9ef0fa9ffd44970f7f0d23 (2305073999874297123)

While staying on the ground everything worked smooth and nice. But how the h..l can I run out of memory with this configuration now?
What memory can it be? Windows 10 is a stupid version so far and does not tell much.

The problem report is the exact same as last time with my 2GB video card. So it cannot be the graphics card anymore.

Solutions anyone?

2 minutes ago, spil said:

Do you have any new suggestions?

After upgrading your GPU, you absolutely need to ensure you have the correct drivers installed.

Moreover, I'm guessing you probably tried to bump up sliders, which could be the reason you're running our of memory.

Finally: 

• Upvote 1

Kyle Rodgers

Well, all old drivers are gone, that was an AMD Radeon card.

No changes in video settings, they are still middle set for everything and even lowest possible.
Have tried the simulator tonight several times, with different settings, same route, trying to depart from ENGM with destination ESGG. Perfect short trip to test things, if the FSX would like to cooperate some day.

My lord, thank god its easier to fly the real B748 than in any flight simulator.

Any other suggestions?

Still my thought is that PMDG has put a lot of things not compatible with Windows 10 in their software but noone will admit that.
The exact same configuration in Windows 7 Ultimate, which I had before I was forced in to Win10, everything worked GREAT with the old video card. But as soon as Win10 came, all problems came.

There must be more than me having this problem, right?

• Upvote 1

When I take a look at the FSX.cfg file I can still find this information;

[DISPLAY.Device.AMD Radeon HD 7700 Series.1]
Mode=1920x1080x32
AntiAlias=1

That was my old device AMD.
Is it possible to just remove this part of the config file?

I will NOT remove the FSX.cfg, it took me several days to get the simulator working again after I once did that before. There must be a way to modify display device without removing the entire file. Right?

Full names on all posts please.

You can rename fsx.cfg to fsx.cfg.old for the purpose of testing.

Before you got the new card I recommended you use Process Explorer to see how your VAS memory was doing during a session before doing anything else.  Investigate before you act.  You should be able to answer how much of the 4Gb limit you have is used for your FSX, PMDG and addons.  This has nothing to do with Win7 or Win10... you get 4GB.  Review the section on VAS in the Introduction document pg 26.

Dan Downs KCRP

And where is process explorer to be found for those who do not want to look the entire life for that?

Thank you in advance

Also, it seems this problem ONLY happens when using the new B747 ver 3 from PMDG, it does not happen to any other aircraft.

So now I do have that software as well. Guess that also takes power from a computer.

But okay. there is NO information about any VAS in that.What do YOU mean with VAS?

NO computer short names please, speak up and clear.