Sign in to follow this  
markoni

Gsync 1080p monitor - fixed 30hz freq.???

Hi, I have been searching for the answer for very long but still unsuccessfully :(  I am trying to buy a new, 24 inch, 1080p monitor but only with the option to set it manually to work at 30hz. I have been siming since FS9 and 30hz freq. is the most remarkable setting so far in terms of smoothness. I had never believed that any real flight simulation (FSX, P3D) would be so smooth until I discovered this monitor setting in P3D. Problem is that my current 24 inch monitor doesn't support this frequency, so I had to switch to an old 19 inch monitor that I managed to set to work at 30hz. All the models of 1080p monitors I checked so far doesn't have 30hz frequency supported officially, based on specification I checked. As far as I know, all gsync monitors can work in range of 30hz to 144hz. That is why I assume that it is possible to disable gsync in NCP, set customs 1920x1080 resolution  and set fixed frequency at 30hz. I would really appreciate if any of the forum members could try this and confirm if it works, my choice would be much easier :) Thanks. 

Well, most digital displays nowadays are 60hz and upwards. 30hz is a signal that modern displays generally don't support natively anymore, and forcing an unsupported signal with a custom resolution can not only result in jerky motion and laggy display, but it can also damage your monitor.

What some do is set the monitor to 60hz and then force a 1/2 refresh rate in nVidia control panel.

About G-Sync monitors, their purpose is not to function at 30hz, it beats the purpose of G-sync. I have a G-sync monitor myself and cannot set it to 30hz without image distortion.

J.C.

"Not all those who wander are lost." - J.R.R. Tolkien
Microsoft Flight Simulator - i7 7700k 5.0 gHz - EVGA 1080ti FTW3 - G.Skill RipJaws 3200 MHz 32GB

19 minutes ago, jacf182 said:

Well, most digital displays nowadays are 60hz and upwards. 30hz is a signal that modern displays generally don't support natively anymore, and forcing an unsupported signal with a custom resolution can not only result in jerky motion and laggy display, but it can also damage your monitor.

What some do is set the monitor to 60hz and then force a 1/2 refresh rate in nVidia control panel.

About G-Sync monitors, their purpose is not to function at 30hz, it beats the purpose of G-sync. I have a G-sync monitor myself and cannot set it to 30hz without image distortion.

1/2 refresh rate does not work with P3D.  U will need a dedicated 30hz monitor.  I tried a g sync monitor once.  It was horrible and would not run at 30hz with g sync disabled.  

Matt Wilson

39 minutes ago, markoni said:

Hi, I have been searching for the answer for very long but still unsuccessfully :(  I am trying to buy a new, 24 inch, 1080p monitor but only with the option to set it manually to work at 30hz. I have been siming since FS9 and 30hz freq. is the most remarkable setting so far in terms of smoothness. I had never believed that any real flight simulation (FSX, P3D) would be so smooth until I discovered this monitor setting in P3D. Problem is that my current 24 inch monitor doesn't support this frequency, so I had to switch to an old 19 inch monitor that I managed to set to work at 30hz. All the models of 1080p monitors I checked so far doesn't have 30hz frequency supported officially, based on specification I checked. As far as I know, all gsync monitors can work in range of 30hz to 144hz. That is why I assume that it is possible to disable gsync in NCP, set customs 1920x1080 resolution  and set fixed frequency at 30hz. I would really appreciate if any of the forum members could try this and confirm if it works, my choice would be much easier :) Thanks. 

Wrong sir, i have a gsync monitor that doesnt support 30hz, because only has display port, be aware that you need hdmi to have 30hz available.

Marques

Ryzen 7 7700x@5.4Ghz | Arctic Liquid Freezer II 360| RTX 4070 ti | 32GB Ram @5600MHZ| Crucial MX 200 M.2 500GB |Crucial MX200 SATA 500GB | HTC Vive | XIAOMI 43" 4k TV | Acer Predator 27" G-Sync | AOC 32" Freesync

1 minute ago, mpw8679 said:

1/2 refresh rate does not work with P3D.  U will need a dedicated 30hz monitor.  I tried a g sync monitor once.  It was horrible and would not run at 30hz with g sync disabled.  

You're right about needing a dedicated 30hz monitor.

My G-Sync monitor is not bad at all. I don't use any V-sync or FPS limiter.

The "magic" of G-Sync is that it automatically matches the refresh rate of the monitor to whatever FPS the system is producing, so theoretically, limiting the FPS to 30 should adjust the monitor to 30hz. This has had mixed results with many people.

Personally I like G-Sync since I use my monitor to play games and the experience is very smooth, then again my specs can support it.

With P3D, it's always hit or miss, and even on similar hardware we all have different results.

J.C.

"Not all those who wander are lost." - J.R.R. Tolkien
Microsoft Flight Simulator - i7 7700k 5.0 gHz - EVGA 1080ti FTW3 - G.Skill RipJaws 3200 MHz 32GB

I would be very happy if P3D worked in full screen and supported 1/2 vsycn, it would be as fluid as FSX, but it doesn't work. But I am still not sure about gsync monitor and fixed 30hz. Is this only matter of suitable cable. If I go for HDMI would I be able to force it to work constantly at 30hz without any problems with the picture? Is there anyone who could try this and report back. Thanks. 

Forget that, you can only have 30hz with hdmi and gsync only works with displayport, you cant have both.

I have a gsync 1440p monitor and a 4k TV, and for flight simulation 4k@30hz is the best expirience for me.

Marques

Ryzen 7 7700x@5.4Ghz | Arctic Liquid Freezer II 360| RTX 4070 ti | 32GB Ram @5600MHZ| Crucial MX 200 M.2 500GB |Crucial MX200 SATA 500GB | HTC Vive | XIAOMI 43" 4k TV | Acer Predator 27" G-Sync | AOC 32" Freesync

With gsync you should NOT lock your frame rate at all, that's the whole point. It will sync every frame as long as the frame rate stays in the interval, 30-144Hz for example.

If the frame rate goes above, then vsync should kick in.

I'm considering getting a gsync monitor, but have yet to read something definitive about if gsync works as intended with P3D (and FSX & FS9).

Gsync supports both full screen and windowed mode so I assume it would work, right?!

1 minute ago, neumanix said:

With gsync you should NOT lock your frame rate at all, that's the whole point. It will sync every frame as long as the frame rate stays in the interval, 30-144Hz for example.

If the frame rate goes above, then vsync should kick in.

I'm considering getting a gsync monitor, but have yet to read something definitive about if gsync works as intended with P3D (and FSX & FS9).

Gsync supports both full screen and windowed mode so I assume it would work, right?!

Unfortunately doesn't give a good result with P3D. It seems that only 30hz monitor is the wining combination :( 

41 minutes ago, dmarques69 said:

Forget that, you can only have 30hz with hdmi and gsync only works with displayport, you cant have both.

I have a gsync 1440p monitor and a 4k TV, and for flight simulation 4k@30hz is the best expirience for me.

Ok, but what about setting 4k monitor to 1080p resolution. Would I be able still to force it to work at 30hz with 1080p? I simply like P3D with all the sliders almost to the right :) It works perfect with 1080p, even with 8x AASS. I just don't want to sacrifice my settings just to play it at 4k? 

14 minutes ago, markoni said:

Unfortunately doesn't give a good result with P3D. It seems that only 30hz monitor is the wining combination :( 

Exactly what is it that isn't working? Do you get stutter and/or tearing even with gsync on?

I use P3D mainly for GA flying and can stay locked at 60fps on my current 60Hz monitor, which is pretty good, especially when using TrackIR.

I'm looking into gsync monitors for playing other games too besides sims, but was hoping that it would work in FS9/FSX/P3D plus reduce the input lag you get from vsync.

2 hours ago, dmarques69 said:

Wrong sir, i have a gsync monitor that doesnt support 30hz, because only has display port, be aware that you need hdmi to have 30hz available.

False information

Matt Wilson

1 hour ago, dmarques69 said:

Please stop giving bad advice.  U are going to mislead the poor guy

Matt Wilson

33 minutes ago, markoni said:

Ok, but what about setting 4k monitor to 1080p resolution. Would I be able still to force it to work at 30hz with 1080p? I simply like P3D with all the sliders almost to the right :) It works perfect with 1080p, even with 8x AASS. I just don't want to sacrifice my settings just to play it at 4k? 

With your system u should be able to run at 4k pretty decent.  One advantage to 4k is u can lower your AA settings and still have a sharp picture.  Once u use 4k it is hard to go back to anything else.  The type of cable has nothing to do with being able to display 30hz.  It's all on the monitor in that regard.  I have my 38 inch ultra wide cruising along as we speak at 30hz via display port connection.  Most 4k monitors should display at 30hz with HDMI and display port and at 60hz with only display port.  HDMI does not have the capability to display 4k at 60hz.  

Matt Wilson

2 hours ago, jacf182 said:

You're right about needing a dedicated 30hz monitor.

My G-Sync monitor is not bad at all. I don't use any V-sync or FPS limiter.

The "magic" of G-Sync is that it automatically matches the refresh rate of the monitor to whatever FPS the system is producing, so theoretically, limiting the FPS to 30 should adjust the monitor to 30hz. This has had mixed results with many people.

Personally I like G-Sync since I use my monitor to play games and the experience is very smooth, then again my specs can support it.

With P3D, it's always hit or miss, and even on similar hardware we all have different results.

If u can maintain at LEAST 35 fps g sync seems to work good.  The problem is when u drop around 30 fps the stuttering starts.  There is also a flaw in g sync when using the mouse in windowed mode that does not jive well with p3d.  Hopefully a future driver update can resolve these issues.

Matt Wilson