Sign in to follow this  
FSXCYYZEGLL

FSX OOM even with 1GB Free VAS

2 hours ago, trisho0 said:

I thought AVSIM FSX Configuration Guide is the solution so far. 

Regarding on Prepar3D v4 (64-bit), will work with all FSX Add-on payware and freeware? It sounds like we can add some sceneries only and to purchase aircrafts again as PMDG, Level-D, and others ......

Going back to AVSIM FSX CG is the right option if not the best and with huge savings.

Hi Patricio,

Just a few thoughts for you to consider:

Do you have an OOM issue? Yes you do. The Avsim guides and PMDG advice can help, but the issues remains.

Do I have an OOM issue? No I do not.

You use FSX 32bit, I use P3D v4 64 bit. You have to go through guides, reduce settings, adjust scenery configurations, and hope that you will not get an OOM. All I have to do is plan the flight and fly and I have not, nor will I have an OOM. I pay extra money for peace of mind, and a very satisfying experience. You save money and still try and find more solutions to the troubles of a 32 bit flight sim. Now, if you were part of my family, I would buy you a new PC, P3Dv4, and all the add-ons you want.

I gladly support PMDG and others who quickly make add-ons available to P3Dv4 users. You see, I can have all the high quality of the cockpit, the scenery, the weather, the AI, GSX, ect., with no sacrifice because of VAS limits. 

Maybe one day, when you can spend the money, you will know how good it is to fly the PMDG 777LR from/to very complex add-on airports, with very high settings, 20 FPS, and no worry at all about OOM. Until then, take care.:smile:

• Upvote 1

I run a great 32-bit simulator that doesn't give me OOM errors. It's called P3Dv3. :)

Cheers!

Luke Kolin

I make simFDR, the most advanced flight data recorder for FSX, Prepar3D and X-Plane.

1 hour ago, Luke said:

I run a great 32-bit simulator that doesn't give me OOM errors. It's called P3Dv3. :)

Cheers!

I learned recently the P3Dv3 gives some OOM because is 32-Bit unless you are running v4

Patricio Valdes

Of course. And so can P3Dv4. 64-bit doesn't mean your memory or address space is infinite - it's just so much bigger than what we have available today that we assume it's practically infinite. And for now, that's not an unreasonable assumption.

It also wasn't an unreasonable assumption around 1992 when 32-bit operating systems starting appearing for the PC. In 1995 I had my first 32-bit system running Windows NT with a whopping 20MB of RAM and 320MB of hard disk space. My 4GB limit was so large relative to the resources available that even if I memory-mapped every byte on my hard drives I still wouldn't run out of address space.

Nowadays, things are a little different. But it's worth remembering that at the time I had physical memory 1/200th of my VAS, and storage 1/12th of my VAS. Today I have 32GB of RAM and 1TB of disk space; that's around 1/120th of my VAS and 1/8th of my VAS, respectively. If I could exhaust it then, I will in the future.

Now to your point, while P3Dv3's limits are a lot lower, it also uses memory a lot better than FSX while retaining compatibility with my 32-bit add-ons. You won't be able to run the LDS 767 or QW757 in P3Dv4. They run just fine in P3Dv3, along with a number of other well-known aircraft.

Cheers!

Luke Kolin

I make simFDR, the most advanced flight data recorder for FSX, Prepar3D and X-Plane.

7 hours ago, Luke said:

it also uses memory a lot better than FSX

You may be right but I don't understand how 2 different sim 32-bit will handle memory differently. I think FSX won't free up memory while flying and P3Dv3 probably yes and the reason been more stable than FSX. But still eventual OMM for P3Dv3 anyway. I am using SceneryConfigEditor v1.1.9 for FSX to load just the needed airports for flying and believing or not it gives me OOM.

Patricio Valdes

11 hours ago, Luke said:

You won't be able to run the LDS 767 or QW757 in P3Dv4. They run just fine in P3Dv3, along with a number of other well-known aircraft.

Just for the record, and to steer back to topic, we are not able to run them because they have not been made compatible with P3Dv4.

This has nothing to do with 64bit ability, VAS, or OOM.

No big deal not having these OLD planes in P3Dv4, actually no loss at all, as it is much more awesome to run much more complex aircraft and scenery in P3Dv4.

16 hours ago, trisho0 said:

You may be right but I don't understand how 2 different sim 32-bit will handle memory differently. I think FSX won't free up memory while flying and P3Dv3 probably yes and the reason been more stable than FSX. But still eventual OMM for P3Dv3 anyway. I am using SceneryConfigEditor v1.1.9 for FSX to load just the needed airports for flying and believing or not it gives me OOM.

They are two different simulators, and while they have the same common base code, it's not unreasonable for them to be different in key ways. I consistently run over 1GB lower VAS utilization when using P3Dv3 than with FSX using the same aircraft and scenery. I regularly get a VAS warning that i have 300-500MB left when using FSDT airports at both ends and more complicated aircraft in FSX, none at all with P3Dv3. An OOM is not "eventual" with a 32-bit simulator.

13 hours ago, pracines said:

Just for the record, and to steer back to topic, we are not able to run them because they have not been made compatible with P3Dv4.

This has nothing to do with 64bit ability, VAS, or OOM.

No big deal not having these OLD planes in P3Dv4, actually no loss at all, as it is much more awesome to run much more complex aircraft and scenery in P3Dv4.

It has everything to do with 64-bit. That's why they were able to run without modification in Prepar3D v1, Prepar3D v2 and Prepar3D v3. Compatibility is a sim feature, and can be a valuable one at that.

By the way, if it's no big deal to you, let me know what 757, 767 and MD-11s you are using in P3Dv4 that meet your discriminating standards. Inquiring minds want to know.

Cheers!

Luke Kolin

18 minutes ago, Luke said:

It has everything to do with 64-bit. That's why they were able to run without modification in Prepar3D v1, Prepar3D v2 and Prepar3D v3. Compatibility is a sim feature, and can be a valuable one at that.

By the way, if it's no big deal to you, let me know what 757, 767 and MD-11s you are using in P3Dv4 that meet your discriminating standards. Inquiring minds want to know.

Cheers!

Luke,

Do you have P3Dv4?

If LDS and QW would update their planes to 2017 64-bit standards, them planes would work fine in 64-bit. It is not the lack in P3Dv4 that is the problem - its the lack of updates from the companies. Its time to start modifying or die as a company; flight simulation is moving on from 32-bit. Compatibility is finally starting to lose priority to realism

This is not a hobby to me, and it is not a game to me. I personally seek the most realistic experience possible, it does not matter what plane it is, it matters how close to reality the experience with my simulator is:

SIMULATION

[sim-yuh-ley-shuh n]

noun

1. imitation or enactment, as of something anticipated or in testing.

2. the act or process of pretending; feigning.

3. an assumption or imitation of a particular appearance or form.

4. Psychiatry. a conscious attempt to feign some mental or physical disorder to escape punishment or to gain a desired objective.

5. the representation of the behavior or characteristics of one system through the use of another system, especially a computer program designed for the purpose.

imitate

[im-i-teyt]

verb (used with object), imitated, imitating.

1. to follow or endeavor to follow as a model or example: to imitate an author's style; to imitate an older brother.

2. to mimic; impersonate: The students imitated the teacher behind her back.

3. to make a copy of; reproduce closely.

4. to have or assume the appearance of; simulate; resemble.

I can, if/when I feel like it, fire up FS1-FSX/P3Dv3 and go to a lower standard for the sake of flying them old planes/sims/add-ons. That is just to reminisce, but compared to how much better my time with P3Dv4 is, none of the old, including P3Dv3.4 comes close. The reason is, I can up the sliders, fly all day, thru the night, into the next few days, with major add-ons, a smooth 20 FPS, and no concern at all of VAS OOM.

Your experience in the QW 757 using P3Dv3 has nothing on my experience flying the PMDG 739 in P3Dv4...that is a certainty. However if you say it does, then you will run out of VAS and OOM, I won't. You may very well be happy with your sim experience and I am very happy you are, I'm just more happy with my experience. :biggrin:  

I'm currently in the midst of day 4 of KIAD to KPHX to KMSP and back to KIAD (All Flightbeam) in the PMDG 737-800. Crisco butter and I cannot get P3Dv4 to OOM after 3 grueling days w/o exiting P3Dv4. Orbx global/Vector with all settings on/global 5m mesh/North America LC, ASP4/ASCA, UTLive all traffic at 100%, GSX, FS Aerodata/Navigraph Ultimate/PFPX/Topcat, FS captain, FS2Crew, Radar Contact 4.3, FS realtime/ SimElite Solutions Time Zone Fixer, EditVoicePack XL,.....well you get the picture. Family and friends have been amazed at how real it looks/sounds/feels. :ha:

4 hours ago, pracines said:

Do you have P3Dv4?

If LDS and QW would update their planes to 2017 64-bit standards, them planes would work fine in 64-bit. It is not the lack in P3Dv4 that is the problem - its the lack of updates from the companies. Its time to start modifying or die as a company; flight simulation is moving on from 32-bit. Compatibility is finally starting to lose priority to realism

Yes. I develop FS software so I need it just to keep pace. To suggest that if QW and LDS upgraded their aircraft they would work is no different than saying "If LDS and QW would update their planes to X-Plane standards, then they would work fine in X-Plane." Completely correct and accurate, but not particularly helpful. The point is that the conversion requires work, and it's not going to unlock any new features or provide any net benefits for the user.

In any business, you need to ensure that Cost < Price < Consumer Value. And the problem is that for the FSX->P3D-32 transition, the equation held true. Cost was at or nearly zero. The problem is for P3Dv4, C >> CV.

4 hours ago, pracines said:

This is not a hobby to me, and it is not a game to me. I personally seek the most realistic experience possible, it does not matter what plane it is, it matters how close to reality the experience with my simulator is

Not only do I use P3Dv4, I've also "flown" numerous full-motion flight simulators, from a 737-200 all the way to a (then) brand-new 772. And compared to all of them, no simulator can match up against a full-motion cockpit and the actual feel of real, FAA-certified switches, knobs and buttons. Interestingly enough, the graphics on even FS9 are noticeably superior to even the most modern aircraft simulator I've never seen any simulator that can get around the basic issue that I'm looking at my monitor at my desk. Increasing the eye candy or LOD of the mesh won't change that fundamental fact.

(BTW, unless you're getting paid to sit at your computer, it is either a hobby or a game. Sorry.

5 hours ago, pracines said:

The reason is, I can up the sliders, fly all day, thru the night, into the next few days, with major add-ons, a smooth 20 FPS, and no concern at all of VAS OOM.

Your experience in the QW 757 using P3Dv3 has nothing on my experience flying the PMDG 739 in P3Dv4...that is a certainty. However if you say it does, then you will run out of VAS and OOM, I won't. You may very well be happy with your sim experience and I am very happy you are, I'm just more happy with my experience. :biggrin:  

I'm currently in the midst of day 4 of KIAD to KPHX to KMSP and back to KIAD (All Flightbeam) in the PMDG 737-800. Crisco butter and I cannot get P3Dv4 to OOM after 3 grueling days w/o exiting P3Dv4. Orbx global/Vector with all settings on/global 5m mesh/North America LC, ASP4/ASCA, UTLive all traffic at 100%, GSX, FS Aerodata/Navigraph Ultimate/PFPX/Topcat, FS captain,

FS2Crew, Radar Contact 4.3, FS realtime/ SimElite Solutions Time Zone Fixer, EditVoicePack XL,.....well you get the picture. Family and friends have been amazed at how real it looks/sounds/feels. :ha:

And I can do the same with P3Dv3, with the only exception of not having ORBX (I use FreeMeshX) and not keeping the sim running for days on end - and that's only because I've never tried it. I've certainly done plenty of logged flights with VAS tracking as part of my software - P3Dv3 never gets close. (I suppose I could try v3 vs v4 on the PMDG aircraft, FSDT airports and NL2000 - that would be an interesting test as I have them for both sims).

Paul, I'm glad you're enjoying your sim, but keep in mind that your standards and expectations are as much in the mainstream as someone who flies at 1024x768 with no anti-aliasing - they're outside the norm. Plenty of people are more than content with different levels of add-ons and scenery. Most people don't have OOM errors in FSX; and most of those who do would be just fine with their existing aircraft in P3Dv3.

I agree with you wholeheartedly that P3Dv4 and 64-bit is the way of the future. Don't get me wrong; the world is going 64-bit and P3D would benefit amazingly if it mmap'd all of its scenery into VAS and then let the OS swap in and out as needed. But until we get there and the aircraft are all rewritten (which takes time and effort) P3Dv3 is an excellent interim solution for those who already have it. I don't think P3Dv4 gives me enough of a benefit that it's worth ditching my 757, 767 and MD-11s for it.

Cheers!

Luke

Luke Kolin

Luke, Its very clear we have different tastes. My point about older 32-bit software is that its not because of a flaw in 
P3Dv4 that the older software does not run, therefore there is no justification in counting that against P3Dv4. 

10 minutes ago, Luke said:

(BTW, unless you're getting paid to sit at your computer, it is either a hobby or a game. Sorry.

I get paid every second I exist no matter what I do. No need to be sorry. 

When you've gotten around to comparing V3 and V4 you will understand what many today are realizing. Maybe not most, because most cannot afford the cost of upgrades, but the many will eventually become most....that is just the way it is. 

I have not even ditched FS1 or Flight Assignment ATP; I even still have SubLogic UFO. I mess around with all of what I had in the 80's.

For New Years I intend to break out the ATARI 7800 and SEGA Master System. Nobody, no matter how old they are, is ever bored at my house.:cool:

Since when did the "planes you fly" become more important than the "realism of the sim"?   Remember FSX's old adage:   "As real as it gets"?  Well, FSX has eventually failed us on that statement, and P3dv4.1 has now assumed that statement and they stand by it.  I'd rather fly only ONE (1) plane in a simulator that is realistic, than 100 old planes that en route mess up my experience with one big fat OOM!

Stan

• Upvote 1

On 11/7/2017 at 7:41 PM, FSXCYYZEGLL said:

I could understand pulling the settings back if the VAS had approached the 4GB limit(I will do that with some settings anyways to give it a try like scenery radius), but I still don't understand how you can get a an OOM without the memory approaching the VAS limit of 4GB.

Jon

There is a misconception on how VAS works in Windows. It's not only the address space available but it also has to be contiguous. For example you have 500MB free as you say and the app wants to allocate 60MB of that space, but the largest contiguous space is 50MB, there's no where to put it so you will get an OOM error. So it is possible for an APP to run out of address space to use, even if you actually have more total available. Ther closer you get to the 4GB limit (3GB for 32bit) the more likely this could happen. DTG does better resource housekeeping with FSX-SE, then MS did with FSX, so it's more likely to happen faster in FSX-Box then FSXSE.

• Upvote 1

Thanks

Tom

My Youtube Videos!

http://www.youtube.com/user/tf51d

On ‎12‎/‎26‎/‎2017 at 9:58 PM, pracines said:

I understand that PMDG and Level-D aircrafts may not work with P3Dv4 due to some dynamic link library written as 32-bit and other components. But, scenery like flytampa, latinvfr, etc will work with P3Dv4?

Patricio Valdes

50 minutes ago, trisho0 said:

I understand that PMDG and Level-D aircrafts may not work with P3Dv4 due to some dynamic link library written as 32-bit and other components. But, scenery like flytampa, latinvfr, etc will work with P3Dv4?

Yes that because they have been updated to P3Dv4 compatible, now think what they will do with made for 64bit only in the future, the OOM`s chains are off they can now compile high detail Scenery without customers complaining about OOM`s, as we now no they are only going to do 64bit in future and more will do the same.

32bit payware products will die out some time in the future.

Raymond Fry.

PMDG_Banner_747_Enthusiast.jpg

On 12/27/2017 at 8:42 PM, spilok said:

Since when did the "planes you fly" become more important than the "realism of the sim"?

Since we had the ability to fly more than one aircraft in the simulator. If the realism of the plane was the paramount factor, we'd only ever fly a single aircraft, and when something better (I won't say "more realistic" because for most simmers that's just "better" unless they have piloted the real thing recently) comes along they would never fly that aircraft again. While you may fly a single type, I wouldn't say that's a majority of simmers.

Remember FSX's old adage:   "As real as it gets"?  Well, FSX has eventually failed us on that statement, and P3dv4.1 has now assumed that statement and they stand by it.

Can you point out and reference a single case where Lockheed-Martin has used that phrase? (In fact, can you reference a single case where Microsoft used that for FSX?) It was the FS9 slogan, but Microsoft or LM have never used it since to my recollection. Plenty of other folks have, though.

Your vision of simulators doesn't match what other people and organizations use them for. There are plenty of simulators that have no movement or graphics whatsoever; they are cockpit simulators to practice procedures and teach muscle memory in flight crews so they can perform a given sequence blind. The full-motion simulators that airlines use to train their pilots have terrible graphics; even the most modern looked like FS2002 on my parents' old 1996-vintage TV. But that's not the point. As I mentioned before, I have a hard time describing anything that doesn't have full motion or accurate switch/knob placement and control force as "realistic". What I have on the PC is a compromise, just like the multi-million dollar simulators are compromises. And that's OK, because I'm simulating different things, just like you are. I accept your choices. You should mine.

I'd rather fly only ONE (1) plane in a simulator that is realistic, than 100 old planes that en route mess up my experience with one big fat OOM!

By and large, the only thing that causes OOM errors is third-party scenery, and specifically scenery with textures. I've yet to hear of a single aircraft that causes OOMs with stock scenery or third-party mesh only.

Cheers!

Luke Kolin