Sign in to follow this  
FSXCYYZEGLL

FSX OOM even with 1GB Free VAS

2 hours ago, rjfry said:

32bit payware products will die out some time in the future.

But, for right now will work 32-Bit scenery which doesn't need DLL's?

Patricio Valdes

17 minutes ago, trisho0 said:

But, for right now will work 32-Bit scenery which doesn't need DLL's?

If the scenery is just BGLs and textures, it really has no "bitness".

Cheers!

Luke Kolin

I make simFDR, the most advanced flight data recorder for FSX, Prepar3D and X-Plane.

I am only quoting Developers flightbeam, fsdreamteam , flytampa , taxi2gate , and more are starting to say the same 64bit sims and they have four sims to work on now.

Raymond Fry.

PMDG_Banner_747_Enthusiast.jpg

With the FSUIPC utility, I start off with well over 3GB's on loading.  Then I take off and the VAS goes down to between 1 and 2 GB's left.  On approach, it jumps down to 500 MB's or less and I start hearing the warning dings from the utility to tell me I'm running out of memory (VAS) (not RAM).

Best regards,

Jim

Jim Young | AVSIM Online! - Simming's Premier Resource!

Member, AVSIM Board of Directors - Serving AVSIM since 2001

Submit News to AVSIM
Important other links: Basic FSX Configuration Guide | AVSIM CTD Guide | AVSIM Prepar3D Guide | Help with AVSIM Site | Signature Rules | Screen Shot Rule | AVSIM Terms of Service (ToS)

I7 8086K  5.0GHz | GTX 1080 TI OC Edition | Dell 34" and 24" Monitors | ASUS Maximus X Hero MB Z370 | Samsung M.2 NVMe 500GB and 1TB | Samsung SSD 500GB x2 | Toshiba HDD 1TB | WDC HDD 1TB | Corsair H115i Pro | 16GB DDR4 3600C17 | Windows 10 

2 hours ago, Jim Young said:

With the FSUIPC utility, I start off with well over 3GB's on loading.  Then I take off and the VAS goes down to between 1 and 2 GB's left.  On approach, it jumps down to 500 MB's or less and I start hearing the warning dings from the utility to tell me I'm running out of memory (VAS) (not RAM).

Best regards,

Jim

Hi Jim, Are you talking about P3D v4? I thought it is 64-bit so it shouldn't have memory issues.

Patricio Valdes

5 hours ago, Luke said:

If the scenery is just BGLs and textures, it really has no "bitness".

Cheers!

Cool! then we can load them in P3D v4.

Patricio Valdes

7 hours ago, trisho0 said:

Hi Jim, Are you talking about P3D v4? I thought it is 64-bit so it shouldn't have memory issues.

FSX.  The FSUIPC utility will not monitor VAS in P3DV4.

Jim Young | AVSIM Online! - Simming's Premier Resource!

Member, AVSIM Board of Directors - Serving AVSIM since 2001

Submit News to AVSIM
Important other links: Basic FSX Configuration Guide | AVSIM CTD Guide | AVSIM Prepar3D Guide | Help with AVSIM Site | Signature Rules | Screen Shot Rule | AVSIM Terms of Service (ToS)

I7 8086K  5.0GHz | GTX 1080 TI OC Edition | Dell 34" and 24" Monitors | ASUS Maximus X Hero MB Z370 | Samsung M.2 NVMe 500GB and 1TB | Samsung SSD 500GB x2 | Toshiba HDD 1TB | WDC HDD 1TB | Corsair H115i Pro | 16GB DDR4 3600C17 | Windows 10 

Actually, it's when I moved to FSX SE that I started getting OOM's.  I never had a big problem with FSX that I couldn't fix.  Not so with FSX Steam.

I flew the PMDG 777 between 2 Orbx global free airports last night using 8.5 LOD and the whole time I had more then 1GB of VAS REMAINING. Add on airports are the biggest users of VAS. Some are practically unusable in FSX without a very low LOD but with strict and organized scenery management OOMs are no longer an issue these days. Don't blame the planes! 

Russell Gough

Daytona Beach/London

FL/UK

17 hours ago, zap51 said:

Actually, it's when I moved to FSX SE that I started getting OOM's.  I never had a big problem with FSX that I couldn't fix.  Not so with FSX Steam.

That's odd as the Steam edition should be no more difficult to work with than the boxed edition. What's more, the Steam edition actually incorporates some bug fixes which should make it less likely to get OOMs. Have you installed any new aircraft or sceneries since moving to FSX:SE?

i7-6700k | Asus Maximus VIII Hero | 16GB RAM | MSI GTX 1080 Gaming X Plus | Samsung Evo 500GB & 1TB | WD Blue 2 x 1TB | EVGA Supernova G2 850W | AOC 2560x1440 monitor | Win 10 Pro 64-bit

Firstly, I'm an FSX:SE user on an FSX:SE forum. So I won't (and can't) comment on P3D.  I've been thinking about the original post and can't come up with an easy solution.  I run ORBX products including all the land classes and most of the regions.  I also run with MyTraffic, Vector, ActivSky, Navigraph, and loads of payware airports.  I've learned to confine my PMDG 747 to AustralAsia/SA and I keep my PMDG 737 out of USA regions.  Most of my flying is in Europe between payware airports while monitoring VAS occasionally.  I've learned that I can't fly out of payware EGLL to payware EDDF without doing a pause/save/reload at TOD.  I've also learned that I shouldn't sit on wingtips or clouds unless I want to risk OOM. All my flying is in VC mode.  Other than a mega-refresh going on the background I can't explain your OOM.  But I think there's plenty of entertainment left in this old flightsim.

I echo Pete 100%. I am also an old head, still on FSX (not SE) using WIn XP. I have been using MS Flight Sim since is stared all the way up to the current FSX. Since I have been using FSX so long I have learned what to avoid and what settings to use to avoid OOM. I am very impressed with Pete's add-ons and no OOM😄 

Here is what I have got.

Aircraft: PMDG 737, QW 757, PMDG 747 V3; iFLY 747-8i (which is heavier on resources than any other of these aircraft) 

Airport / Scenery: LAX, JFK. MIA, BOS, SEA, SFO, ORD (which are all US). I only fly into add-on airports. I have no add-on scenery such as Orbx global etc. Just the surrounding scenery that comes with the add-on airport. Since most of my flights are at least 34,000 feet I wouldn't be taking advantage of the scenery below.  

Weather /Texture: Active Sky 16 / REX Texture direct with soft clouds.

Ok here is what I do to avoid OOM.

Most of my flights are in the USA 1) East coast to Midwest & vice versa; 2) East coast to West Coast & vice versa. I occasionally fly KJFK  to EGLL when I have the time to devote myself to flying, but with medium settings and only minimum views switching. I just stick to the cockpit VC views 98% of the time.

I have my REX Texture direct  cloud setting to Medium, putting it to high really screws you up and I really can't tell the difference between the two anyway. After a 5 hour flight and descending into an Add-on dense Airport scenery with heavy clouds and ATC running you need to be very careful on what you do. Hence the reason for not settings things unnecessary high.       

I haven't really experienced any OOM for a very long time now, worse case is a drop in FPS which happens. The only time I  may experience OOM is if I do a replay (120 seconds) right after I land and and exit the runway to see an outside view of my approach and touch down. Which is expected.

As Pete said, still get a lot of mileage in my FSX with modern add-ons. All of my flights now are with the PMDG 747 V3 and I will be purchasing the -8 next week. When I replace my rig in another 2 years or so I will then upgrade to PD3.

The bottom line is as add-ons become more sophisticated you need to be cognizant of your settings and how and where you fly into.

Hope this helps the OOM  FSX simmers still out there.

Best Regards.

Forshaw.  

On ‎3‎/‎7‎/‎2019 at 1:48 PM, forshaw said:

Hope this helps the OOM  FSX simmers still out there.

What is your max texture load in FSX configuration?

Patricio Valdes

44 minutes ago, trisho0 said:

What is your max texture load in FSX configuration?

1024 . I used 4096 for years assuming as I have 4k screens that i would need it. Then I tried 1024 recently just for fun and was stunned to find that I could see no difference. BTW I am a photographer and video maker and am VERY fussy about getting the best resolution. My screen has great upscaling but I believe the image is good anyway. Will share some example shots from the PMDG 737 taken at 1024.

gcEt3jD.jpg

uM69I0l.jpg

NivAREU.jpg

Edited by sloppysmusic

Russell Gough

Daytona Beach/London

FL/UK

I am going to include most of my fsx.cg  here as my post makes more sense when you can see what I am using. Although whatever our settings you cans till ignore the OOM completely by clicking on the background in a full screen window.

Please do NOT copy and paste this as over your cfg file, only the subsections here as my addons are different.

IMPORTANT!!!!

Notice my LOD at the moment is a huge 8.5. This works fine with add on aircraft but NO addon airports other then OrbX FTX Global airports and Vector/Global scenery. I suggest starting with LOD 4.5 and increasing IF you use Texture Max Load 1024 (this makes a HUGE difference!)

Also my affinity mask will only work with an 8 core CPU without Hyperthreading. This is very important!

Steves DX10 Control softwre makes it easy to change the affinity mask to fit your CPUs, as you actually select the cores you wish FSX to use. Do not assign less cores than all of them unless you have other utilities such as weather/ATC you wish to isolate in their own cores. 

DO experiment changing one setting at a time if possible and make sure you back up your fsx.cfg before making any changes and also AFTER something works well so you can always go back to a better config.

Good luck and have fun. Max out your FSX!

[GRAPHICS]
SHADER_CACHE_PRIMED_10=1693751040
SHADER_CACHE_PRIMED=1693751040
D3D10=1
TEXTURE_MAX_LOAD=1024
NUM_LIGHTS=8
AIRCRAFT_SHADOWS=0
AIRCRAFT_REFLECTIONS=1
COCKPIT_HIGH_LOD=1
LANDING_LIGHTS=1
AC_SELF_SHADOW=1
EFFECTS_QUALITY=2