Sign in to follow this  
FSXCYYZEGLL

FSX OOM even with 1GB Free VAS

3 hours ago, airernie said:

At point of touchdown I got a Windows OOM.

If you test from KDCA flying to KJFK the OOM CTD is quicker. I think something from FSX configuration can be the trick to resolve the CTD. I will slide down some of the FSX scenery settings to run another test.

Patricio Valdes

6 hours ago, airernie said:

I started getting low VAS beeps from FSUIPC

I uninstalled DD NYC X KJFK and replaced with FSDT KJFK v2. Still installed the DD Washington X KDCA. So, I did another flight from KDCA to KJFK. From SCE I selected just those airports only and the Base. It was be able to land finally and after GSX v2 actions the VAS beeps started. I will give another test tomorrow with FSX scenery default settings. I hope no VAS beeps this time. Or, FSX configuration needs something.

Patricio Valdes

4 hours ago, trisho0 said:

If you test from KDCA flying to KJFK the OOM CTD is quicker. I think something from FSX configuration can be the trick to resolve the CTD. I will slide down some of the FSX scenery settings to run another test.

Set up for that run tonight, but not able to finish it.  Will give it a try tomorrow morning. 

Ernest Pergrem

I flew again with LOD 3.5 from  KDCA to KJFK and after landed in rwy13L the VAS beeps started. Maybe because Manhattan X city is activated? Not planning to deactivate Manhattan anyway because no sense to fly without looking New York city. So, I will have to decrease FSX scenery settings. Where to start sliding a setting down?

kDt8kjF.jpg

2YyYFN1.jpg

Patricio Valdes

On 3/13/2019 at 8:30 PM, trisho0 said:

So, I will have to decrease FSX scenery settings. Where to start sliding a setting down?

I'm going to make a suggestion for something I do.  It may be the placebo effect, but it seems to help recover some memory.  Of course, sometimes it also climbs right back up to the old number.

I fly in Windowed mode and sometimes during the flight and on especially on approach I will hit the Restore down button which is the middle upper right button.  FSX doesn't disappear from view, just reduces the window.   I'll leave it that way for a few seconds until FSUIPC increases the VAS number.  I then hit the same button, which is now titled the 'Maximize' button to expand FSX.

To get the VAS numbers copy the following into fsuipc.ini:

[Monitor]
Display=5
Monitor0=0,024C,4,0

It may require the registered version of FSUIPC, but there's no harm if copying it into the unregistered version to see if it works.

As I said, maybe a placebo effect, but it doesn't hurt to try it and even if it doesn't work you get a nifty VAS monitor at the top left of your FSX window.

Good luck,

Ernie

Ernest Pergrem

3 hours ago, airernie said:

I'm going to make a suggestion for something I do.  It may be the placebo effect, but it seems to help recover some memory.  Of course, sometimes it also climbs right back up to the old number.

I fly in Windowed mode and sometimes during the flight and on especially on approach I will hit the Restore down button which is the middle upper right button.  FSX doesn't disappear from view, just reduces the window.   I'll leave it that way for a few seconds until FSUIPC increases the VAS number.  I then hit the same button, which is now titled the 'Maximize' button to expand FSX.

To get the VAS numbers copy the following into fsuipc.ini:

[Monitor]
Display=5
Monitor0=0,024C,4,0

It may require the registered version of FSUIPC, but there's no harm if copying it into the unregistered version to see if it works.

As I said, maybe a placebo effect, but it doesn't hurt to try it and even if it doesn't work you get a nifty VAS monitor at the top left of your FSX window.

Good luck,

Ernie

I have P3DV4.4 but flew FSX and MSFS for some time before that.  OOM errors started happening to me when I started playing with LOD tweaks so I found a happy number and never saw them again.  However they can also be caused by corrupt scenery or too aggressive video card tweaks, but that only applies to video card tweakers.  Scenery was the culprit once in my case, scenery I had created was broken for some reason.

I traced the issue to write back caching which is turned on by default in Windows.  If your system had to have a hard shutdown, i.e. power failure or even a brief surge, you can lose data from scenery, any scenery you have just installed and sims and software does not like that.  I have turned mine off in Windows, and it has created a stable sim environment which was quite stable given only 8GB of ram and 3GB of Vram.  One must remember that when Vram is exhausted video cards will use the cache, unless the overall design behind GPU's has magically changed, which I do not believe it has, at least for Nvidia cards which have been a champ IMHO.

I did have a Radeon card and although I thought the graphics were a tad cooler in appearance than Nvidia, its performance and stability was ever so slightly less.  I do not know if Radeon has improved therefore I will not dump on them, but that Radeon was a dog.  My first MSFS gpu was a Voodoo, anyone remember those?  It was not a true GPU and did not manage memory well but it lasted me some time and I had some good simming hours with sims of the day, it just could not handle sims that evolved into our sims of today.

I do not think I have helped here, but the sharing of experience might add to this thread in some way for those who get the descendant OOM errors that evolved out of MSFS architecture.  For the time being, given my meager specs, P3D4.4 is rock solid and I guarantee it will perform on any FSX'ers system similar to mind, it runs rings around FSX in every way and LM did a great job with it, so did Austin Meyer with Xplane11, both grace my system...  But long live FSX and I wish I still had my copy that I had lost, FSX is a great sim despite all that it endured in naysayers over the years, and thank goodness Steam adopted it.

John

On ‎3‎/‎14‎/‎2019 at 9:30 PM, airernie said:

[Monitor]
Display=5
Monitor0=0,024C,4,0

Why Display=5 and the other monitor values? Is there a way to activate that via FPSUIC inside of FSX Tab?

Patricio Valdes

1 hour ago, trisho0 said:

Why Display=5 and the other monitor values? Is there a way to activate that via FPSUIC inside of FSX Tab?

It's the code that FSUIPC requires to display a  VAS counter at the top left of the FSX screen.  According to the docs it should work on either the registered and unregistered version. 

You can do the same thing on the FSUIPC logging tab by entering the appropriate codes in the 'Specific value checks' section of the tab.  The code I gave you is just a shortcut.

If you prefer not to do it using FSUIPC then there is a small app titled "VAS Monitor" that you can run.  There is also one in the AVSIM library.

If you have FSUIPC installed then it will create a sub menu entry under Add-ons.

Ernest Pergrem

12 hours ago, airernie said:

If you prefer not to do it using FSUIPC then there is a small app titled "VAS Monitor" that you can run. 

You are so great helper! I will find out about VAS Monitor, cool.

Patricio Valdes