FSXCYYZEGLL

FSX OOM even with 1GB Free VAS

5 hours ago, Luke said:

If the scenery is just BGLs and textures, it really has no "bitness".

Cheers!

Cool! then we can load them in P3D v4.

Help AVSIM continue to serve you!
Please donate today!

7 hours ago, trisho0 said:

Hi Jim, Are you talking about P3D v4? I thought it is 64-bit so it shouldn't have memory issues.

FSX.  The FSUIPC utility will not monitor VAS in P3DV4.

Actually, it's when I moved to FSX SE that I started getting OOM's.  I never had a big problem with FSX that I couldn't fix.  Not so with FSX Steam.

I flew the PMDG 777 between 2 Orbx global free airports last night using 8.5 LOD and the whole time I had more then 1GB of VAS REMAINING. Add on airports are the biggest users of VAS. Some are practically unusable in FSX without a very low LOD but with strict and organized scenery management OOMs are no longer an issue these days. Don't blame the planes! 

17 hours ago, zap51 said:

Actually, it's when I moved to FSX SE that I started getting OOM's.  I never had a big problem with FSX that I couldn't fix.  Not so with FSX Steam.

That's odd as the Steam edition should be no more difficult to work with than the boxed edition. What's more, the Steam edition actually incorporates some bug fixes which should make it less likely to get OOMs. Have you installed any new aircraft or sceneries since moving to FSX:SE?

Firstly, I'm an FSX:SE user on an FSX:SE forum. So I won't (and can't) comment on P3D.  I've been thinking about the original post and can't come up with an easy solution.  I run ORBX products including all the land classes and most of the regions.  I also run with MyTraffic, Vector, ActivSky, Navigraph, and loads of payware airports.  I've learned to confine my PMDG 747 to AustralAsia/SA and I keep my PMDG 737 out of USA regions.  Most of my flying is in Europe between payware airports while monitoring VAS occasionally.  I've learned that I can't fly out of payware EGLL to payware EDDF without doing a pause/save/reload at TOD.  I've also learned that I shouldn't sit on wingtips or clouds unless I want to risk OOM. All my flying is in VC mode.  Other than a mega-refresh going on the background I can't explain your OOM.  But I think there's plenty of entertainment left in this old flightsim.

I echo Pete 100%. I am also an old head, still on FSX (not SE) using WIn XP. I have been using MS Flight Sim since is stared all the way up to the current FSX. Since I have been using FSX so long I have learned what to avoid and what settings to use to avoid OOM. I am very impressed with Pete's add-ons and no OOM😄 

Here is what I have got.

Aircraft: PMDG 737, QW 757, PMDG 747 V3; iFLY 747-8i (which is heavier on resources than any other of these aircraft) 

Airport / Scenery: LAX, JFK. MIA, BOS, SEA, SFO, ORD (which are all US). I only fly into add-on airports. I have no add-on scenery such as Orbx global etc. Just the surrounding scenery that comes with the add-on airport. Since most of my flights are at least 34,000 feet I wouldn't be taking advantage of the scenery below.  

Weather /Texture: Active Sky 16 / REX Texture direct with soft clouds.

Ok here is what I do to avoid OOM.

Most of my flights are in the USA 1) East coast to Midwest & vice versa; 2) East coast to West Coast & vice versa. I occasionally fly KJFK  to EGLL when I have the time to devote myself to flying, but with medium settings and only minimum views switching. I just stick to the cockpit VC views 98% of the time.

I have my REX Texture direct  cloud setting to Medium, putting it to high really screws you up and I really can't tell the difference between the two anyway. After a 5 hour flight and descending into an Add-on dense Airport scenery with heavy clouds and ATC running you need to be very careful on what you do. Hence the reason for not settings things unnecessary high.       

I haven't really experienced any OOM for a very long time now, worse case is a drop in FPS which happens. The only time I  may experience OOM is if I do a replay (120 seconds) right after I land and and exit the runway to see an outside view of my approach and touch down. Which is expected.

As Pete said, still get a lot of mileage in my FSX with modern add-ons. All of my flights now are with the PMDG 747 V3 and I will be purchasing the -8 next week. When I replace my rig in another 2 years or so I will then upgrade to PD3.

The bottom line is as add-ons become more sophisticated you need to be cognizant of your settings and how and where you fly into.

Hope this helps the OOM  FSX simmers still out there.

Best Regards.

Forshaw.  

On ‎3‎/‎7‎/‎2019 at 1:48 PM, forshaw said:

Hope this helps the OOM  FSX simmers still out there.

What is your max texture load in FSX configuration?

Posted (edited)
44 minutes ago, trisho0 said:

1024 . I used 4096 for years assuming as I have 4k screens that i would need it. Then I tried 1024 recently just for fun and was stunned to find that I could see no difference. BTW I am a photographer and video maker and am VERY fussy about getting the best resolution. My screen has great upscaling but I believe the image is good anyway. Will share some example shots from the PMDG 737 taken at 1024.

gcEt3jD.jpg

uM69I0l.jpg

NivAREU.jpg

Edited by sloppysmusic

I am going to include most of my fsx.cg  here as my post makes more sense when you can see what I am using. Although whatever our settings you cans till ignore the OOM completely by clicking on the background in a full screen window.

Please do NOT copy and paste this as over your cfg file, only the subsections here as my addons are different.

IMPORTANT!!!!

Notice my LOD at the moment is a huge 8.5. This works fine with add on aircraft but NO addon airports other then OrbX FTX Global airports and Vector/Global scenery. I suggest starting with LOD 4.5 and increasing IF you use Texture Max Load 1024 (this makes a HUGE difference!)

Also my affinity mask will only work with an 8 core CPU without Hyperthreading. This is very important!

Steves DX10 Control softwre makes it easy to change the affinity mask to fit your CPUs, as you actually select the cores you wish FSX to use. Do not assign less cores than all of them unless you have other utilities such as weather/ATC you wish to isolate in their own cores. 

DO experiment changing one setting at a time if possible and make sure you back up your fsx.cfg before making any changes and also AFTER something works well so you can always go back to a better config.

Good luck and have fun. Max out your FSX!

[GRAPHICS]
SHADER_CACHE_PRIMED_10=1693751040
SHADER_CACHE_PRIMED=1693751040
D3D10=1
TEXTURE_MAX_LOAD=1024
NUM_LIGHTS=8
AIRCRAFT_SHADOWS=0
AIRCRAFT_REFLECTIONS=1
COCKPIT_HIGH_LOD=1
LANDING_LIGHTS=1
AC_SELF_SHADOW=1
EFFECTS_QUALITY=2
GROUND_SHADOWS=0
TEXTURE_QUALITY=3
IMAGE_QUALITY=0
See_Self=1
Text_Scroll=0
MultiSamplesPerPixel=4
MultiSampleQuality=8
HIGHMEMFIX=0
ForceWindowedVsync=1

[SOUND]
AmbientUIMusicVolume=-6.000000
PrimaryDevice={9DD33330-28FF-4AFD-8996-C665F256BE4A}
VoiceDevice={9DD33330-28FF-4AFD-8996-C665F256BE4A}
SOUND=1
SOUND_QUALITY=2
SOUND_LOD=1
UISound=1
AmbientUI=0
SOUND_FADER1=0.660000
SOUND_FADER2=1.000000
SOUND_FADER3=0.470000
SOUND_FADER4=1.000000
AmbientUIMusic=FSX01

[Display]
ChangeTime=1.000000
TransitionTime=1.000000
ActiveWindowTitleTextColor=255,255,255
ActiveWindowTitleBackGroundColor=0,28,140,64
NonActiveWindowTitleTextColor=255,255,255
NonActiveWindowTitleBackGroundColor=24,33,87,64
InfoUpperRightTextColor=255,0,0
InfoUpperRightBackGroundColor=0,0,0,0
InfoLowerLeftTextColor=255,255,255
InfoLowerLeftBackGroundColor=255,0,0,128
InfoLowerRightTextColor=255,255,255
InfoLowerRightBackGroundColor=255,0,0,128
InfoBrakesEnable=False
InfoParkingBrakesEnable=False
InfoPauseEnable=True
InfoSlewEnable=True
InfoStallEnable=True
InfoOverspeedEnable=False
BLOOM_EFFECTS=0
SKINNED_ANIMATIONS=1
TEXTURE_BANDWIDTH_MULT=40
UPPER_FRAMERATE_LIMIT=0
WideViewAspect=True
ForceVCShadowMap=1
TextureMaxLoad=12

[Main]
DisablePreload=1
User Objects=Airplane, Helicopter
SimObjectPaths.0=SimObjects\Airplanes
SimObjectPaths.1=SimObjects\Rotorcraft
SimObjectPaths.2=SimObjects\GroundVehicles
SimObjectPaths.3=SimObjects\Boats
SimObjectPaths.4=SimObjects\Animals
SimObjectPaths.5=SimObjects\Misc
SimObjectPaths.6=C:\Program Files (x86)\12bPilot\SODE\data\SimObjects
SimObjectPaths.7=C:\ProgramData\12bPilot\SODE\SimObjects
ProcSpeed=9721
PerfBucket=7
HideMenuNormal=0
HideMenuFullscreen=1
Maximized=2
Location=0,0,3840,2160,\\.\DISPLAY1

[PANELS]
IMAGE_QUALITY=1
DEFAULT_VIEW=0
QUICKTIPS=1
PANEL_OPACITY=100
PANEL_MASKING=1
PANEL_STRETCHING=1
UNITS_OF_MEASURE=0

[Weather]
WindshieldPrecipitationEffects=1
MinGustTime=10
MaxGustTime=500
MinGustRampSpeed=1
MaxGustRampSpeed=200
MinVarTime=5
MaxVarTime=50
MinVarRampSpeed=10
MaxVarRampSpeed=75
TurbulenceScale=1.000000
WeatherServerAddress=fs2k.zone.com
WeatherServerPort=80
WeatherGraphDataInDialog=0
AdjustForMagVarInDialog=1
DynamicWeather=0
DownloadWindsAloft=0
DisableTurbulence=0
CLOUD_DRAW_DISTANCE=3
DETAILED_CLOUDS=1
CLOUD_COVERAGE_DENSITY=8
THERMAL_VISUALS=0

[DynamicHeadMovement]
LonAccelOnHeadLon=0
LonAccelOnHeadPitch=0
RollAccelOnHeadLat=0
YawAccelOnHeadLat=-0
RollAccelOnHeadRoll=0
MaxHeadAngle=0
MaxHeadOffset=0
HeadMoveTimeConstant=0

[SCENERY]
LENSFLARE=0
DAWN_DUSK_SMOOTHING=1
IMAGE_COMPLEXITY=5
ShowMissingTextureAlert=0
SmallPartRejectRadius=0
MAX_ASYNC_BATCHING_JOBS=2

[TrafficManager]
AirlineDensity=50
GADensity=50
FreewayDensity=6
ShipsAndFerriesDensity=0
LeisureBoatsDensity=0
IFROnly=0
AIRPORT_SCENERY_DENSITY=0

[TERRAIN]
LOD_RADIUS=8.500000
MESH_COMPLEXITY=100
MESH_RESOLUTION=25
TEXTURE_RESOLUTION=29
AUTOGEN_DENSITY=4
DETAIL_TEXTURE=1
WATER_EFFECTS=5

[STARTUP]
DEMO=0
SHOW_OPENING_SCREEN=1
STARTUP_DEMO=
LoadWindow=1

[JOBSCHEDULER]
AffinityMask=252

[BUFFERPOOLS]
UsePools=1
PoolSize=2097152
RejectThreshold=131072

[DISPLAY.Device.NVIDIA GeForce GTX 1080.0.0]
Mode=3840x2160x32
TriLinear=0
Anisotropic=1
AntiAlias=1

20 hours ago, sloppysmusic said:

Also my affinity mask will only work with an 8 core CPU without Hyperthreading. This is very important!

Your FSX config has AffinityMask=252 without Hyperthreading. So, if you have Hyperthreading active what will be the AM?

LOD_RADIUS=8.500000 is really high and no CTD even with texture 4096? I have set LOD at 4.5 default and FSX gets out of memory quick if I set texture 4096 especially with DD sceneries. I will do some tests later.

Some of my FSX configuration has:

TERRAIN_MAX_AUTOGEN_TREES_PER_CELL=1376 //default 4500
TERRAIN_MAX_AUTOGEN_BUILDINGS_PER_CELL=907 //default 3000

this help to prevent OOM

I have also:

[BUFFERPOOLS]
UsePools=1
Poolsize=8388608
RejectThreshold=126976

I will give a try of your BufferPools and see what happen.

19 minutes ago, trisho0 said:

LOD_RADIUS=8.500000 is really high and no CTD even with texture 4096? I

Indeed! But I mention in the description I HAVE to use 1024 for that which works great on my 4k screens and I cannot tell the difference....

21 hours ago, sloppysmusic said:

I suggest starting with LOD 4.5 and increasing IF you use Texture Max Load 1024 (this makes a HUGE difference!)

On 11/7/2017 at 4:33 PM, spesimen said:

to answer your question more specifically.. one reason those numbers can be misleading is that they are a sum of all the available free memory, but not necessarily all of the contiguous free memory that is available.

say for example that perhaps the sim is requesting a very large allocation of 256 megs. you may have 1gig free but if it is broken up into a dozen chunks that are spread through the 4g. if none of the free spaces are 256meg in size, it can't make the allocation just doing basic memory operations.

The OP's question has already been answered by Andy Crosby.

12 minutes ago, jabloomf1230 said:

The OP's question has already been answered by Andy Crosby.

I just realized I made 3 posts here that should have been in my own OOM thread. Oops sorry for any confusion.

2 hours ago, sloppysmusic said:

Indeed! But I mention in the description I HAVE to use 1024 for that which works great on my 4k screens and I cannot tell the difference....

I did a flight test with LOD 8.5 and got OOM CTD right away just in approach. Used DD KDCA to KJFK. LOD 4.5 is what I am going to test again.

2 hours ago, trisho0 said:

I did a flight test with LOD 8.5 and got OOM CTD right away just in approach. Used DD KDCA to KJFK. LOD 4.5 is what I am going to test again.

Just to confirm 8.5 works fine with NO addon airports but ok with scenery or OrbX Free airports. Each addon airport  requires approx reduction of LOD by at least 1 per airport.

11 hours ago, sloppysmusic said:

Just to confirm 8.5 works fine with NO addon airports but ok with scenery or OrbX Free airports. Each addon airport  requires approx reduction of LOD by at least 1 per airport.

I see …. what about I do have close to 100 payware add-ons sceneries like flytampa, latinvfr, Aerosoft, and many others? I think I am learning better so I will have to do another test with LOD at 3.5 and if OOM again then to lower LOD to 2.5 I might be wrong? With P3Dv4 I never had OOM. Curiously with fs9 I never had OOM neither. Just with FSX (something not right).

3 hours ago, trisho0 said:

I see …. what about I do have close to 100 payware add-ons sceneries like flytampa, latinvfr, Aerosoft, and many others? I think I am learning better so I will have to do another test with LOD at 3.5 and if OOM again then to lower LOD to 2.5 I might be wrong? With P3Dv4 I never had OOM. Curiously with fs9 I never had OOM neither. Just with FSX (something not right).

If you are getting OOMs at 4.5 or less you could probably manage your scenery better. With a scenery manager you only have to load up the scenery you intend to fly from, over and to. If you have all those 100 add-ons running at the same time and you activate ( by flying within LOD distance) more than 2 you are wasting VAS. I use Scenery Config Manager but there are several others people use to great effect.

54 minutes ago, sloppysmusic said:

I use Scenery Config Manager but there are several others people use to great effect.

I use the Scenery Config Editor program if it is the same as yours and yes, all sceneries activated and grouped by Continent Area. Example, all sceneries from USA I grouped them by Eastern and Western separated accordingly. But if I plan a flight from KSFO to KJFK I have to leave both group activated. Based on this I will de-activate all the others grouped sceneries and see if the OOM still.

I have FSX OOM  just with DD sceneries and no others so far.

This is why I use the P3Dv4 often. Only occasionally I use fs9 and FSX. By checking on this thread in here is where I think can be a good chance to test FSX more often. 

On 3/8/2019 at 10:51 PM, trisho0 said:

My LOD is 4.5.

Best Regards.

Forshaw.

Last night I did another FSX testing OOM which still with DD Sceneries regardless if I activated just only Washington X and NYC City. DD sceneries is not for my FSX sim. Instead, I will still doing testing OOM.

On 3/10/2019 at 6:41 PM, trisho0 said:

This is why I use the P3Dv4 often. Only occasionally I use fs9 and FSX. By checking on this thread in here is where I think can be a good chance to test FSX more often. 

Who the cares what happens with another sim.. this is a FSX forum.  Please observe the rules.

1 hour ago, airernie said:

Who the cares what happens with another sim.. this is a FSX forum.  Please observe the rules.

Sorry, you are correct. Do you have OOM issues with DD sceneries? Try KDCA to KJFK with PMDG 737 NGX. My FSX gets CTD due to OOM.

17 hours ago, trisho0 said:

Sorry, you are correct. Do you have OOM issues with DD sceneries? Try KDCA to KJFK with PMDG 737 NGX. My FSX gets CTD due to OOM.

This morning I ran a test in my iFly 737-700.  Washington X,  NY X, and Flightbeam KIAD in addition to the FTX and Ray Smith and payware airports I have installed.  Active Sky was enabled, but the clouds weren't real heavy, GSX installed, etc.

Ready for takeoff at KJFK 31L  according to FSUIPC I was sitting at 660240 remaining VAS.  No issues with takeoff, flight or approach. 

On final to KDCA some of the ground textures or photoreal started loading slowly and I started getting low VAS beeps from FSUIPC.  At point of touchdown I got a Windows OOM.

Had I used SCE to trim some of my airports or maybe dropped Texture_Load from 2048 to 1024 I have no doubt I would have had a successful landing.

BTW, as with Russell I only use FTX Global, Vector, etc.  No FTX regions.

Ernie

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, airernie said:

Had I used SCE to trim some of my airports or maybe dropped Texture_Load from 2048 to 1024 I have no doubt I would have had a successful landing.

Indeed, once I dropped to 1024 (and was astounded to not see a difference ) the OOOms were no longer a pain. I DO use other OrbX scenery as I own all their products, but I use SCE to tailor the scenery to each flight and only change the LOD to suit. I can run a PMDG /A2A plane with 2 add on airports and regions all at once with LOD 4.5 no problem (Except MAJOR airports like ESSA). All my settings are maxed out except water at 5 and autogen at 1 down from max. That 1024 setting is a real game changer!