Sign in to follow this  
Pauloed

FSX stuck at loading auto-generated scenery ...

Hi everyone, I really hope everyone is doing fine. Since 2 days ago my fsx won't pass the loading scenery page, it gets stuck at 70%... Loading auto-generated scenery... I've done everything that it comes to my mind. I've rebuilt my fsx.cfg, I v'e done the same with the scenery.cfg using a backup before I had any issue with the game. I've updated my video card graphics and checked my anti-virus to see if somehow something has been moved to quarantine or being deleted. I've just literally run out of any other ideas. Can anyone help me please.

Thank you so much for your time.

You need to tell us what scenery you were loading.  I know you want to keep it as a secret but you need to tell us.  What was the name of the airport?  Did the scenery contain photoscenery?

You rightly renamed or deleted the fsx scenery.cfg to let a new default one be installed but that surely should have fixed the issue as the default airport and default scenery in the area would have been loaded.  FSX works great in the default mode - default scenery, default config and then you install an addon and things can go downhill from there. The scenery may not be compatible with FSX.  A lot of scenery is being loaded when you load a situation and not just the airport and the scenery around the airport you intend to start out at are loading.  So, perhaps you did not rename the scenery.cfg to scenery.cfg.off.  Or, you deleted the wrong scenery.cfg.  The scenery.cfg is located in C:\ProgramData\Microsoft\FSX and not in the same folder as the FSX.cfg.  The one in the same folder as the fsx.cfg is the default scenery.cfg and is not working.  It is sitting there in case you delete or rename the one in the C:\Program Data\Microsoft\FSX folder.  When you restart FSX, it is the one that is used to rebuild the config you just renamed or deleted.  Therefore, it cannot be renamed or deleted (the one in the same folder as the fsx.cfg).

Best regards,

Jim

Jim Young | AVSIM Online! - Simming's Premier Resource!

Member, AVSIM Board of Directors - Serving AVSIM since 2001

Submit News to AVSIM
Important other links: Basic FSX Configuration Guide | AVSIM CTD Guide | AVSIM Prepar3D Guide | Help with AVSIM Site | Signature Rules | Screen Shot Rule | AVSIM Terms of Service (ToS)

I7 8086K  5.0GHz | GTX 1080 TI OC Edition | Dell 34" and 24" Monitors | ASUS Maximus X Hero MB Z370 | Samsung M.2 NVMe 500GB and 1TB | Samsung SSD 500GB x2 | Toshiba HDD 1TB | WDC HDD 1TB | Corsair H115i Pro | 16GB DDR4 3600C17 | Windows 10 

Hi Jim thank you so much for your reply. 

I've deleted the scenery.cfg file from C:\Program Data\Microsoft\FSX folder and it worked! So I'm adding my sceneries one by one and so far so good. I'm guessing some file got corrupted by something that I still didn't figure it out.

Thank you once again for your reply.

Have a great day

Whaa..?? My recommendation was right?  I'm getting better at this! :smile:  Glad it worked and you can figure out the scenery causing the problem.

Best regards,

Jim

• Upvote 2

Jim Young | AVSIM Online! - Simming's Premier Resource!

Member, AVSIM Board of Directors - Serving AVSIM since 2001

Submit News to AVSIM
Important other links: Basic FSX Configuration Guide | AVSIM CTD Guide | AVSIM Prepar3D Guide | Help with AVSIM Site | Signature Rules | Screen Shot Rule | AVSIM Terms of Service (ToS)

I7 8086K  5.0GHz | GTX 1080 TI OC Edition | Dell 34" and 24" Monitors | ASUS Maximus X Hero MB Z370 | Samsung M.2 NVMe 500GB and 1TB | Samsung SSD 500GB x2 | Toshiba HDD 1TB | WDC HDD 1TB | Corsair H115i Pro | 16GB DDR4 3600C17 | Windows 10 

Hi Paul,

Another interesting thing for you to try. If you have renamed or saved your original scenery.cfg. It contains all your previous addons, however some of the entries may be out of priority order in the scenery library.

As an experiment :-
If you restore the original scenery.cfg from C:\Program Data\Microsoft\FSX and then open C:\ProgramData\Microsoft\FSX\SceneryIndexes you may find that toward the bottom of the list the numerical sequence of the .dat indexes are showing non-contiguous filenames. This can lead to longer than expected load times and strange scenery display / loading hangs. Often this is caused by adding new scenery or shuffling your Scenery library order.

What you can do to remedy this is to delete/move all those .dat files from the \SceneryIndexes folder.
When you restart your FSX sim the database will be rebuilt and all .dat files will be restored with sequential filenames, and any corrupt .dat files restored to pristine condition for all currently listed addons in your scenery.cfg including the FilelistIndex.dat

@Jim Young No "Whaa" Jim, you've got a pretty high batting average for successful outcomes.

• Upvote 2