Sign in to follow this  
phmcr

GEX for P3Dv4

Just now, vgbaron said:

You are kidding right? OK, my data shows that GEX/UTX combination looks much better than FTXG. Please don't ask for proof as I'm tired of lending my eyes out. 

There is NO way you are going to get anything other than people' s opinions, which I guess are a form of data. FTXG is a very popular product but so is GEX. I have both on different systems and personally I prefer GEX/UTX both visually and performance wise. I find the FTXG colors too overstated and not as realistic as GEX

You, quite obviously prefer FTGX - we are both correct because it is ENTIRELY a matter of personal preference.

Glad you got it sorted out Harry!

Vic

No, I'm not 'kidding'.:huh:

Pro-tip: when I'm kidding, you'll usually see this :dry:, or this :biggrin:, plus I will have posted something funny.

(Btw, I though mods were meant to stop condescending/inflammatory posts, not make them! This isn't the first time you've replied like this to a post I've made. The last time related to a NickN-related topic as well...hmmm, VGBaron is actually NickN??? (Yes, now I am kidding)

re: "Please don't ask for proof as I'm tired of lending my eyes out. "

I didn't ask you for proof. However, in the second part of the comment above, you've given me a little bit of the data/opinion I was hoping for - overstated colors as a possible reason to choose GEX.

Re:"There is NO way you are going to get anything other than people' s opinions, which I guess are a form of data."

When the last iteration of GEX was released, I remember looking at comparison photos - GEX versus FTX Global - for given areas. Haven't seen any comparisons with the new version vs FTX Global, but that's the sort of information that helps potential purchasers. If anyone has a relevant link, that would be great.

Re: "FTXG is a very popular product but so is GEX." 

I checked out the Flight 1 forums for this product, it gets around 4 comments per month. Compared to that, the Orbx forums show a large number of happy customers posting screenshots etc. I count 12 updated topics in the screenshot forum alone in the past hour alone, most with reference to FTX Global. So I don't see much evidence of GEX being in anything like the widespread use that FTX Global is. This doesn't mean it's bad, just that the suggestion that their popularity is similar is likely to be way off the actual sales data.

Re: "You, quite obviously prefer FTGX"

It's the landclass scenery product that I currently use, but I'll change to GEX if it's better. I'm not an Orbx superfan, I own quite a few of their products but I'm always looking for better and more realistic scenery. 

Seriously, I'm glad that you're enjoying GEX, but if I was advising a simmer who was about to drop $100 on a global landclass tile upgrade product, I'd be telling them to go for FTX Global unless there was some good evidence to suggest that GEX has surpassed the current market leader.

All the best,

Rob 

Oz

xdQCeNi.jpg   puHyX98.jpg

Sim Rig: MSI RTX3090 Suprim, an old, partly-melted Intel 9900K @ 5GHz+, Honeycomb Alpha, Thrustmaster TPR Rudder, Warthog HOTAS, Reverb G2, Prosim 737 cockpit. 

Currently flying: MSFS: PMDG 737-700, Fenix A320, Leonardo MD-82, MIlviz C310, Flysimware C414AW, DC Concorde, Carenado C337. Prepar3d v5: PMDG 737/747/777.

"There are three simple rules for making a smooth landing. Unfortunately, no one knows what they are."

On my current system I have all ORBX products in P3Dv2 and GEP3D/UTX plus all my other scenery addons in P3Dv3.

Why?

1. I was tired of dealing with the conflicts between ORBX and other developer's scenery. Yes, I know ORBX has a dedicated forum for issues with other developers scenery, but with my method, I no longer have to use it.

2. ORBX is more detailed but with that comes a definite performance impact. ORBX shines at low levels so I use it for GA flying in P3Dv2. I use GEP3D/UTX for my airliner flying with complex aircraft and complex airports in P3dv3.

3. When P3D has an update it seems to take longer for ORBX to update their products, but then they have a lot more to update. P3Dv2 is stable and unchanging so all the ORBX products work. GEP3D/UTX is a lot easier to manage when P3D has an update.

Visually the ORBX regions have more eye candy so they are nice to fly in with GA aircraft. With complex aircraft I am usually too busy to look out the window when at low levels so GEP3D/UTX suits me fine. ORBX vector is harder on my system than UTX.

From all the screen shots that I have seen and my own experience, the difference between FTX Global and GEP3D are not worth debating. In some areas one looks better and in others the other one may. Both are a vast improvement over the default sand colored textures.

What about P3Dv4? I bought it last spring but have not had the time to install it. My plan is the same though. I am going to wipe my sim drive then reinstall P3Dv3 and P3Dv4. ORBX will be in P3Dv3 and all my scenery by other developers will be in P3Dv4. All the ORBX products work now in P3Dv3. I'm on Windows 7 so I don't have to worry about the nonsense Windows 10 updates have caused for P3Dv3 users.  I only had VAS issues recently with P3Dv3 and a rebuild of the .cfg and shader files cured that.

From forum post counts it does seem that ORBX is more popular but it does seem like it has more problems and causes more problems for other scenery also. I like both the ORBX and GEP3D/UTX products and they both serve me well as long as I don't let them play in the same sandbox.

Ted

3770k@4.5 ghz, Noctua C12P CPU air cooler, Asus Z77, 2 x 4gb DDR3 Corsair 2200 mhz cl 9, EVGA 1080ti, Sony 55" 900E TV 3840 x 2160, Windows 7-64, FSX, P3dv3, P3dv4

2 hours ago, OzWhitey said:

(Btw, I though mods were meant to stop condescending/inflammatory posts, not make them! This isn't the first time you've replied like this to a post I've made. The last time related to a NickN-related topic as well...hmmm, VGBaron is actually NickN??? (Yes, now I am kidding)

NickN is a tad younger than I.  Sorry if you think it's condescending when I disagree with you - that's life I guess. My comment really relates to what I perceive as a "nebulous" question. So if 100 people respond that they love GEX and 100 people respond that they love FTX - where are we? Other than performance, which is clearly system specific, any other "data" is purely subjective, hence my comment about eyes.

I respond that way whenever someone asks a question that is pureely subjective. Which is better? YOU decide. If you keep asking the same question, I will give you the same answer. Obviously my point was lost on you. However, in fairness, perhaps I read more into your use of the word "data" than intended and reacted accordingly.

Had you read the thread you would have seen that the OP had already purchased both and was not asking for advice on which to purchase.

All that said - IMHO - even with changes in current product - GEX/UTX performance is better than FTXG/Vector - mainly due to performance hits with Vector. On a system like mine, it's not that noticeable but someone with a marginal system would. But really, most users buy them because they look good or because a lot of others buy them and talk about them.

Lastly, if you REALLY think I was being condescending towards you - I do apologize - that was not my intent.

Vic

• Upvote 1

RIG#1 - 7700K 5.0g ROG X270F 3600 15-15-15 - EVGA RTX 3090 1000W PSU 1- 850G EVO SSD, 2-256G OCZ SSD, 1TB,HAF942-H100 Water W1064Pro
40" 4K Monitor 3840x2160 - AS16, ASCA, GEP3D, UTX, Toposim, ORBX Regions, TrackIR
RIG#2 - 3770K 4.7g Asus Z77 1600 7-8-7 GTX1080ti DH14 850W 2-1TB WD HDD,1tb VRap, Armor+ W10 Pro 2 - HannsG 28" Monitors

3 hours ago, OzWhitey said:

(Btw, I though mods were meant to stop condescending/inflammatory posts, not make them! 

Hi Rob!

I did not see anything inflammatory or condescending in Vic's comments.  In fact, I saw a lot of humor.  It's strange how people from around the world understand things differently.  Guess that's one reason why there are so many wars.  Obviously, you like FTX Global and I'm sure many others do too.  I have heard a lot of great things about the products.  I and many others like GEP3D/UTX.  Both products are great and enhance our immersion in this hobby.  Let's leave it at that!

Best regards,

Jim

Jim Young | AVSIM Online! - Simming's Premier Resource!

Member, AVSIM Board of Directors - Serving AVSIM since 2001

Submit News to AVSIM
Important other links: Basic FSX Configuration Guide | AVSIM CTD Guide | AVSIM Prepar3D Guide | Help with AVSIM Site | Signature Rules | Screen Shot Rule | AVSIM Terms of Service (ToS)

I7 8086K  5.0GHz | GTX 1080 TI OC Edition | Dell 34" and 24" Monitors | ASUS Maximus X Hero MB Z370 | Samsung M.2 NVMe 500GB and 1TB | Samsung SSD 500GB x2 | Toshiba HDD 1TB | WDC HDD 1TB | Corsair H115i Pro | 16GB DDR4 3600C17 | Windows 10 

1 hour ago, vgbaron said:

Had you read the thread you would have seen that the OP had already purchased both and was not asking for advice on which to purchase.

Goodness me, chaps, when you're trying to claim that you're not being condescending in the previous post, it's best not to include an unequivocally condescending 'Had you read the thread...' line (in addition to the other gems such as 'Sorry if you think it's condescending when I disagree with you - that's life I guess', 'I respond that way whenever someone asks a question that is pureely subjective.' (to a guy who's asking for data???) and 'If you keep asking the same question...' :blink::blink::blink:

Ironically, Vic, had you read the thread, you'd know that the OP just said:

"Hi, just noticed Flight1 has a textureset offering for P3D, GEX P3DV4. Has anybody bought it and tried it?

I had all the GEX packages for FSX. Is it just a new labelling for P3D or does it have additional features? It is quite a steep price so any input would help.

Thanks!"

AND

"Thanks for your input!",

So your comment "Had you read the thread you would have seen that the OP had already purchased both and was not asking for advice on which to purchase." is as reality-based as your suggestion that I find it condescending when people disagree with me (what??? How would you know that I think that? Can you read minds? Isn't it more likely that I find it condescending when people begin their posts with lines like "You are kidding right?").

OP asked for input, and I've given him my thoughts. 

I'll now recuse myself from this thread to avoid derailing the GEX conversation any further. 

(it's all good, whether people are using GEX, FTX Global or some proper scenery (ortho), as long as they're having fun, that's great!) :cool:

Oz

xdQCeNi.jpg   puHyX98.jpg

Sim Rig: MSI RTX3090 Suprim, an old, partly-melted Intel 9900K @ 5GHz+, Honeycomb Alpha, Thrustmaster TPR Rudder, Warthog HOTAS, Reverb G2, Prosim 737 cockpit. 

Currently flying: MSFS: PMDG 737-700, Fenix A320, Leonardo MD-82, MIlviz C310, Flysimware C414AW, DC Concorde, Carenado C337. Prepar3d v5: PMDG 737/747/777.

"There are three simple rules for making a smooth landing. Unfortunately, no one knows what they are."