Sign in to follow this  
simtom

Wing Flex on PMDG's aircraft

Good evening,

I watched some videos of QualityWings' 787 and I noticed how smooth the wing flex is. I always taught that this was only achievable in X-Plane because of how FSX and P3D work (like limited number of animations).

I'm just wondering now why PMDG's aircraft don't have the same smooth effect? Is it because you don't see those wings very much anyway or because you wanted to focus on more important aspects of the aircraft? 

(just to be clear, it's not that the current wing flex is complete garbage but it just doesn't flex as smoothly as the 787's)

Former MSFS Alpha Tester, current member of the MSFS Stream Team.

Are you talking about the wing bobbing up and down and not fluidly flexing? If so, the bobbing effect to me is more realistic due to inconsistencies in air pressure and speed when taking off. Inconsistencies on the ground surface also causes this. I'm by no means an expert though, so take my opinion with a grain of salt, but most planes I've been on acted this way.

-Kevin Woo

5 minutes ago, Kevin_28 said:

Are you talking about the wing bobbing up and down and not fluidly flexing?

Yes, that's what I'm referring to. 

For me it feels more like the animations are pre-determined and not random.

At a guess I think it might be to do with performance. The control column in the PMDG VC is modeled at a slower frame rate for performance I think?

Johnny Crockett
7700K @5ghz | Asus GTX 1070 | G.Skill 16GB 3600 | P3D V4

If it's predetermined, it could be that it is done as a result of a limitation in the sim as well. I don't believe the sim accurately depicts changes in wind/pressure/ground surface at such a micro level, so maybe they specify periodic bumps to make it a bit more realistic. Again, I can't say for sure. It's a good question, though.

-Kevin Woo

2 hours ago, Kevin_28 said:

I don't believe the sim accurately depicts changes in wind/pressure/ground surface at such a micro level, so maybe they specify periodic bumps to make it a bit more realistic.

Yeah, I don’t think that’s simulated. 

Especially on the ground it looks odd to me. But then again, who looks at the wing while flying? ;-)

I somewhat feel that they were able to make the flex look so smooth due to compromising somewhere else and it being a less complex and in depth aircraft than PMDG’s. I’d imagine that if there was a way to make it more fluid without compromising anywhere else, PMDG would have found and implemented it by now.

• Upvote 1

3 hours ago, Milton Waddams said:

I somewhat feel that they were able to make the flex look so smooth due to compromising somewhere else and it being a less complex and in depth aircraft than PMDG’s. I’d imagine that if there was a way to make it more fluid without compromising anywhere else, PMDG would have found and implemented it by now.

Yes, that's actually what I'm thinking as well.

There’s no need for it to be predetermined. The amount of wing flex is directly related to the amount of lift the wing is generating. That’s a very dynamic parameter. Even on the takeoff roll it will vary fairly randomly with wind and airspeed changes. 

ki9cAAb.jpg