Sign in to follow this  
Dean19

Dropped PC on the floor, is my MB toast?

So I was transporting my PC(specs in my sig) and like a knuckle head wasn't paying attention, lost my footing, and my PC took a fall from around 4 feet height right onto a concrete floor. Ugh!

I thought for sure that it wouldn't even boot up anymore, being as heavy as it is and with that big Noctua heat sink attached to the MB....

But the darn thing actually booted up. Everything seemed fine at first, WIN10 loaded, P3DV4 started up no problems, and I even took the FSL320 for a spin.

Started up CPU-Z and with PC at idle I noticed the multiplier wildly bouncing around from a low of 8 to high of 45 and Core Speed bouncing between 807MHz and 4599MHz.

Throttling is disabled in BIOS. Idle temps were normal at around 29-30C.

Running P3D the multiplier and core speed are pegged at 45 and 4598MHz  but the temps much higher than normal, around 90C. 

I've never seen the multiplier and speed bounce around so wildly like that, even with the PC at idle.

Could my MB be gone? 

AMD 7900X  |  ASRock Steel Legend X670E  |  G.SKILL 32GB DDR5 6000  |  MSI 6950XT  |  Noctua NH-D14  

EVGA Super NOVA 850W  |  Cooler Master HAF932  |  Hisense 43" 4K UHD  |  Win11

I presume you've looked inside and made sure everything is still screwed down tight and clipped in properly? It'd be my guess that it survived but a component has shaken loose.

Alan Bradbury

Check out my youtube flight sim videos: Here

Just a quick look and everything seemed ok, nothing loose as far as I could tell or any small parts falling out. When I have some time I will dig further, re seat the heat sink and see if that improves anything.

AMD 7900X  |  ASRock Steel Legend X670E  |  G.SKILL 32GB DDR5 6000  |  MSI 6950XT  |  Noctua NH-D14  

EVGA Super NOVA 850W  |  Cooler Master HAF932  |  Hisense 43" 4K UHD  |  Win11

but the temps much higher than normal, around 90C. 

High temps suggest the cooler was dislodged.

I would remove the Noctua, remove the CPU and make sure there's no damage to the socket and socket pins. If all okay, replace CPU, reapply TIM and install cooler.

Noctua's are great, with the spring retention system that acts as a shock absorber but to drop a PC from 4 feet right on to a concrete floor is very extreme. If the MB is damaged it won't be from MB bending, it will be from the base of the cooler crushing the socket.

We will cross our fingers for you.