Sign in to follow this  
Skywatcher

Getting AI to an airport that isn't in stock FS9?

I'm capable of compiling and recompiling using TTools. I can change an airport ICAO and then edit the flightplans for the newly created ICAO.

My question is, how could I get AI to stop going to an old airport and instead fly to a newly created airport that is close to the old but not in the same location? I'm looking at the old Bangkok airport which is VTBD. The new one is VTBS but the location is different. I'm happy to change VTBD in the TTools airports text list to VTBS and change all flightplans from VTBD to VTBS.
If I change VTBD to VTBS and add the new coordinates for VTBS to the TTools airport text file will the AI fly there? My next question is how do I find the exact coordinates that need to be added for VTBS? Are the coordinates in the FS map the correct ones that need to be put in the airport text file?
I do understand VTBD will now be a dead airport and I'm fine with that I just don't know if what I said above will work or how I go about getting the required VTBS coordinates?

Mark Daniels

A32xx is correct.

If your new VTBS addon airport has a correct and active Afcad or ADE file, the TTools "Collect Airports" procedure will find it and make it available for all your AI activities in FS9. However, for any user flights to your new non default based VTBS, ATC will only vector you for "visual approaches", even although ILS localizers are present. Separate approach files are then necessary for all VTBS runways having ILS localizers. These additional (straight in only) approaches can be made via a (rather old) program called: "Approach Creator" and the resulting file(s) should be separately placed in the FS9 "Generic/scenery" folder.

A developer by the name of "Jim Vile" has even gone a step further by creating curved (non straight in) approaches to FS9 default based addon airports such as Kai Tak and Innsbruck, so that approaching user and AI aircraft are not vectored to crash into, or to fly through, the surrounding mountains.

Hope this helps.

Hans

1 hour ago, hjwalter said:

These additional (straight in only) approaches can be made via a (rather old) program called: "Approach Creator" and the resulting file(s) should be separately placed in the FS9 "Generic/scenery" folder.

Or even better use ADE to write new approaches for VTBS

Just to clarify, there are two layers for every airport. ADE has the features to edit the approach layer that AI uses. If you add an ILS using AFCAD the ILS approach map is not created and is not recognized as an ILS capable airport in IMC conditions. Using ADE to add an ILS or VOR approach will be recognized by FS9's ai player and ATC system. ADE uses a default approach path that you can edit using instrument charts as as reference.

ADE is freeware with an option to add a "pro feature for expanded editing and is at:

http://www.scruffyduck.org/airport-design-editor/4584106799

Thanks to all, I have now managed to create working AI at the new airport following the advice given. I haven't done anything about ATC and ILS but will certainly look into it next.

Mark Daniels