Sign in to follow this  
Lurk

FSX-SE to P3D v4

Hi fellow simmers, I'm considering the move from FSX-SE to P3D v4.

I figured avsim forum members would have enough experience to provide me with the answer I'm looking for, without me having to post on several different add-on forums.

If possible, I would like to know which of the additional software I bought for FSX is directly compatible with P3D v4 out of the box, i.e. without requiring me to purchase a new license.

I'm currently running the following add-ons.

- REX Texture Direct + Soft Clouds

- FTX Global EU

- FTX Open LC

- Active Sky 2016

- UTX Europe

Thanks to anyone that can provide an answer.

I was hoping I could buy P3D v4, run the executables of the above listed add-ons, and be up and running!

They ALL will need new installers so you will have to download  the proper versions.

Vic

• Upvote 1

RIG#1 - 7700K 5.0g ROG X270F 3600 15-15-15 - EVGA RTX 3090 1000W PSU 1- 850G EVO SSD, 2-256G OCZ SSD, 1TB,HAF942-H100 Water W1064Pro
40" 4K Monitor 3840x2160 - AS16, ASCA, GEP3D, UTX, Toposim, ORBX Regions, TrackIR
RIG#2 - 3770K 4.7g Asus Z77 1600 7-8-7 GTX1080ti DH14 850W 2-1TB WD HDD,1tb VRap, Armor+ W10 Pro 2 - HannsG 28" Monitors

Thank you very much.

Maybe they have a discount for owners of FSX licenses, who knows.

If that's not the case, I'm afraid I'll have to rethink my plans : (

1 hour ago, Lurk said:

- REX Texture Direct + Soft Clouds

- FTX Global EU

- FTX Open LC

- Active Sky 2016

- UTX Europe

FTX global and LC - free download, easy via FTX central.

REX - new texture direct enhanced is a free, v4 compatible upgrade.

active sky - you'll want to but active sky P3d v4, but I think there's a discount for previous owners.

utx - upgrade cost here, but I think there is a discount (would have to check that one).

so either free upgrade, or reasonable cost, I have all five of those in o3d v4.

Advice: upgrade now, P3d v4 is great!

• Upvote 1

Oz

xdQCeNi.jpg   puHyX98.jpg

Sim Rig: MSI RTX3090 Suprim, an old, partly-melted Intel 9900K @ 5GHz+, Honeycomb Alpha, Thrustmaster TPR Rudder, Warthog HOTAS, Reverb G2, Prosim 737 cockpit. 

Currently flying: MSFS: PMDG 737-700, Fenix A320, Leonardo MD-82, MIlviz C310, Flysimware C414AW, DC Concorde, Carenado C337. Prepar3d v5: PMDG 737/747/777.

"There are three simple rules for making a smooth landing. Unfortunately, no one knows what they are."

13 minutes ago, OzWhitey said:

FTX global and LC - free download, easy via FTX central.

REX - new texture direct enhanced is a free, v4 compatible upgrade.

active sky - you'll want to but active sky P3d v4, but I think there's a discount for previous owners.

utx - upgrade cost here, but I think there is a discount (would have to check that one).

so either free upgrade, or reasonable cost, I have all five of those in o3d v4.

Advice: upgrade now, P3d v4 is great!

don-t know about UTX (even though I have it, didn't really look into getting the P3D4 version), but Active Sky, being he has purchased Active Sky 2016, he should be entitled to a free upgrade to ASP4

1 hour ago, vgbaron said:

They ALL will need new installers so you will have to download  the proper versions.

Vic

Yes, but for almost all, no need to buy a new license, which is what the OP was concerned about I believe.

you are correct!

Vic

RIG#1 - 7700K 5.0g ROG X270F 3600 15-15-15 - EVGA RTX 3090 1000W PSU 1- 850G EVO SSD, 2-256G OCZ SSD, 1TB,HAF942-H100 Water W1064Pro
40" 4K Monitor 3840x2160 - AS16, ASCA, GEP3D, UTX, Toposim, ORBX Regions, TrackIR
RIG#2 - 3770K 4.7g Asus Z77 1600 7-8-7 GTX1080ti DH14 850W 2-1TB WD HDD,1tb VRap, Armor+ W10 Pro 2 - HannsG 28" Monitors

The OP also did not ask about aircraft.  Depending on what you normally fly with FSX, you will need to repurchase a new license, so scenery add-ons are probably the least costly.

Vu Pham

i7-10700K 5.2 GHz OC, 64 GB RAM, GTX4070Ti, SSD for Sim, SSD for system. MSFS2020

thank you very much guys.

nice to see all of you chiming in. Great place here as usual.

I don't have payware add-on aircraft, only WOAI traffic installed.

Seems like it's a no brainer at this point!

Are the advantages of switching to P3Dv4 evident? I'm obviously looking for better overall graphics, higher resolution cockpit textures, better performance and ultra-wide support (running 3xEyefinity here).

Not that I'm expecting anything stellar here, but the FSX engine+graphics are REALLY beginning to show their age regardless of all add-ons installed!

Yes, right out of the box you should notice differences for the better. Main thing - do NOT apply all the old FSX tweaks - P3D doesn't need them or they have already been coded into the product.

After install - resist the urge to slam in all your old addons right away - accept the default P3D settings and fly for a while. You can then start adjusting sliders to your liking. Once you have P3D where you like it out of the box - THEN start with your major addons - one at a time - and test. Repeat until done.

You COULD install a bunch at once but if something goes wrong, you have a more difficult time finding the culprit.

Vic

25 minutes ago, Lurk said:

Are the advantages of switching to P3Dv4 evident? I'm obviously looking for better overall graphics, higher resolution cockpit textures, better performance and ultra-wide support (running 3xEyefinity here).

Right off the bat you'll notice it loads up quicker. And upon loading, the most obvious change visually which you would notice straight away, is that rather than having to buy Steve's DX10 Fixer and the attendant Cloud Shadows add on (ten quid each if memory serves) for FSX, P3D has cloud shadows by default in its options, which does make it visually a lot more realistic regardless of what scenery you have, but in conjunction with UTX and Active Sky with ASCA, that shadowing does make P3D look vastly better than FSX (unless you had those Steve add-ons for FSX).

P3D V4.1 definitely runs better than FSX and FSX-SE in terms of frame rates, so providing you have a reasonably decent computer, you will find it is possible to crank the sliders up a little bit more in P3D than you perhaps could get away with in FSX, however, don't fall into the trap of moving them all over and ticking every box you can or you'll be back to chasing frame rates again.

It is definitely the way to go, but there are some things you can't get for it (for example the Dodosim Bell JetRanger, the Quality Wings Boeing 787 and Captain Sim Weapon), so I'd keep FSX installed too if I were you.

Alan Bradbury

Check out my youtube flight sim videos: Here

1 hour ago, Lurk said:

I don't have payware add-on aircraft, only WOAI traffic installed.

Woah hold on mate.  Woai isn't compatible with v4.  

14ppkc-6.png

thx for your extensive reply, Chock.

It is enough alone to convince me to go with P3D.

So now, which version? Academic or Pro?

You will not be able to use your ai the models are not v4. 

Vic for the love of God please make a sticky about non native ai models in V4. 

This is a perfect example

14ppkc-6.png