Sign in to follow this  
ahsmatt7

My i7-2700k to i7-8700k upgrade experience!

3 hours ago, ahsmatt7 said:

I dont...i apologize. I only had one powers supply so I took it from my old computer and moved it to the new one.

I figured people with these older processors already had an idea of what performance they are already getting with their current rig.

Thanks for sharing.  You did use the i7-2700K before right? so can you tell that the new rig is better?  Assuming you had the 1080Ti before.  The trouble is that comparison has to be on the same set, otherwise it will be meaningless.  I am sure you can tell from your own experience how did the upgrade work for you, and that's all we can ask for.  

Vu Pham

i7-10700K 5.2 GHz OC, 64 GB RAM, GTX4070Ti, SSD for Sim, SSD for system. MSFS2020

1 hour ago, Anxu00 said:

Thanks for sharing.  You did use the i7-2700K before right? so can you tell that the new rig is better?  Assuming you had the 1080Ti before.  The trouble is that comparison has to be on the same set, otherwise it will be meaningless.  I am sure you can tell from your own experience how did the upgrade work for you, and that's all we can ask for.  

I had the i7-2700k paired with the 1080Ti.

If you are coming from p3d v3 and decide to upgrade to p3d v4...like I did...I doubled performance in most scenarios. To the point to where when my FPS drop back to my old mid 20s levels due to certain lighting and what not....it really feels like a huge performance degradation.

FAA: ATP-ME

Matt kubanda

I dont think it would be much of an improvement then... since P3D 4 is more GPU bound than CPU, considering you had the same GPU through both machine setups.

ASUS ROG Maximus Hero XII ▪︎ Intel i9-10900K ▪︎ NVIDIA RTX 3090 FE ▪︎ 64GB Corsair Vengeance RGB Pro ▪︎ Windows 10 Pro (21H1) ▪︎ Samsung 970 EVO Pro 1TB NVME SSD (OS Drive) ▪︎ Samsung 860 EVO 2TB SATA SSD ▪︎ Seagate 4TB SATA HDD ▪︎ Corsair RMx 850W PSU

7 minutes ago, captain420 said:

I dont think it would be much of an improvement then... since P3D 4 is more GPU bound than CPU, considering you had the same GPU through both machine setups.

I don't know to be honest.

I had not used p3d v4 until I built this PC. I only used p3d v3 on my old one. 

On my old machine, I couldn't get past 33-35 fps unless I was in cruise. 

My new build paired with the upgrade to p3d v4 got me back into p3d. 

All I am saying is that I have literally doubled performance. That's just my set up though. 

Maybe my old PC was on its last leg and I didn't realize it. Maybe P3d v4 would have given me the same experience on my old 2700k. 

I hope my report helps those on the fence about upgrading to the 8700k and are currently using a CPU like the 2700k.

Matt kubanda

1 hour ago, Anxu00 said:

Yes it is.  If the airport is not built native with V4 SDK dynamic light performance dropped.  If you search the PMDG forum, Robert posted a topic on this specific issue.  Make sure you actually have version 2 of KFSO from FB.

I can select and deselect dynamic lighting in their new control panel software. I figured because I could do that....it was indeed SFO v2. hhhmmmm ill have to check then,

Matt kubanda

1 hour ago, ahsmatt7 said:

To the point to where when my FPS drop back to my old mid 20s levels due to certain lighting and what not....it really feels like a huge performance degradation.

I don't understand this at all - are you saying the better visuals you viewed with DL on were not smooth? FPS is irrelevant the upgrade should have been for visual quality and smoothness and I thought you indicated earlier that you gained that or was I mistaken?

A.Chryss - near YSCB

1. ASUS ROG STRIX X299 i9-7900X (delid - 4.9Ghz All Cores), EK 420x45 RAD, D5 Pump, EK monoblok, 32GBs GSkill 3600MHz ram 1T, Gig Aorus GTX1080Ti (2075Mhz), SSung 970 Evo 2TB & 1Tb & 960Evo 500GB NVMe, 2xSSDs. XBox controller for camera views. - Flight sims

2. ASUS ROG STRIX X570 Ryzen 3900X - 4.3Ghz (12 cores) Corsair H115i, Gig 2080Ti OC, 32MHz ram 2x 970EVO 1TBNVME  3x ssd etc.  P3D v4.5 & v5, XP11 & DCS. 43"-4k + 27"-2k monitors & tablets. Warthog controllers, Honeycomb Yoke, Thrustmaster TPR pedals, TrackIR . - Games server

It's late and I'm tired....

My set up is super smooth.

I was just saying that with my high fps along with how smooth it is....when it does drop down to lower fps (on par with what my old rig was only capable of)....it shows how much of an improvement this new rig is from my old one.

I was comparing old vs. New performance.

I really hope this makes sense.

All I can tell you is that I don't have any stuttering when I use v sync along with triple buffering. It's really really really nice!

Like I said, I'm really tired so im.sorry if this didn't help.

Matt kubanda

20 minutes ago, Uteman said:

I don't understand this at all - are you saying the better visuals you viewed with DL on were not smooth? FPS is irrelevant the upgrade should have been for visual quality and smoothness and I thought you indicated earlier that you gained that or was I mistaken?

2 minutes ago, ahsmatt7 said:

It's late and I'm tired....

My set up is super smooth.

I was just saying that with my high fps along with how smooth it is....when it does drop down to lower fps (on par with what my old rig was only capable of)....it shows how much of an improvement this new rig is from my old one.

I was comparing old vs. New performance.

I really hope this makes sense.

All I can tell you is that I don't have any stuttering when I use v sync along with triple buffering. It's really really really nice!

Like I said, I'm really tired so im.sorry if this didn't help.

Matt kubanda

No probs thanks for clearing that up.

Cheers

A.Chryss - near YSCB

1. ASUS ROG STRIX X299 i9-7900X (delid - 4.9Ghz All Cores), EK 420x45 RAD, D5 Pump, EK monoblok, 32GBs GSkill 3600MHz ram 1T, Gig Aorus GTX1080Ti (2075Mhz), SSung 970 Evo 2TB & 1Tb & 960Evo 500GB NVMe, 2xSSDs. XBox controller for camera views. - Flight sims

2. ASUS ROG STRIX X570 Ryzen 3900X - 4.3Ghz (12 cores) Corsair H115i, Gig 2080Ti OC, 32MHz ram 2x 970EVO 1TBNVME  3x ssd etc.  P3D v4.5 & v5, XP11 & DCS. 43"-4k + 27"-2k monitors & tablets. Warthog controllers, Honeycomb Yoke, Thrustmaster TPR pedals, TrackIR . - Games server

I also upgraded yesterday to the 8700k. Managed to get the new rig up and running in 4 hours. Will be testing this weekend. 

IMG-20171108-_WA0005.jpg

IMG-20171108-_WA0009.jpg

IMG-20171108-_WA0012.jpg

• Upvote 1

14ppkc-6.png

I upgraded from a 3770k.  For those of you in the UK you'll find there's a 3 week or so wait for the 8700k.  One thing I did  notice yesterday is p3d loads up Insanly fast.  Alas all the addons are to go in. Ill report back this weekend.  One thing I found from research is the cooling youll need a decent cooler.  I went for the Corsair Hydro Series H110i 280mm Extreme Performance Liquid CPU Cooler  as I've a corsair case and it fits in nicely and a z370f motherboard. 

If anyone is thinking of upgrading you'll need a big case and the 370 type mobo. 

14ppkc-6.png

Pete, as I also still have the 3770K (running at 4.5GHz), I am extremly interested in your experience after the upgrade. Pity that the TS did not take the pictures of the same scenario first with the old rig, then with the new one. Like this, it is not really a comparison but more a personal experience most probably not valid for anyone else (new P3D version, complete new installation, more and faster RAM, faster harddisk, faster CPU).

Greetings, Chris

Intel i5-13600K, 2x16GB 3200MHz CL14 RAM, MSI RTX 4080 Gaming X, Windows 11 Home, MSFS

1 hour ago, tooting said:

I upgraded from a 3770k.  For those of you in the UK you'll find there's a 3 week or so wait for the 8700k.  One thing I did  notice yesterday is p3d loads up Insanly fast.  Alas all the addons are to go in. Ill report back this weekend. 

I would love to read your report too.

Lukasz Kulasek

i7-8700k, RTX 2080 TI, 32 GB RAM, ASUS TUF Z370-PRO Gaming, Oculus Rift CV1

2 hours ago, AnkH said:

Pete, as I also still have the 3770K (running at 4.5GHz), I am extremly interested in your experience after the upgrade. Pity that the TS did not take the pictures of the same scenario first with the old rig, then with the new one. Like this, it is not really a comparison but more a personal experience most probably not valid for anyone else (new P3D version, complete new installation, more and faster RAM, faster harddisk, faster CPU).

1 hour ago, twojastara said:

I would love to read your report too.

No problems lads.  It will be the weekend and ill do a video..

I got my stuff from Scan.co.uk as the customer service is second to none.  If you go through ebuyer, its slighty cheaper but there service isnt as good and they dont have the 8700k in stock till December.

14ppkc-6.png

6 hours ago, ahsmatt7 said:

I had the i7-2700k paired with the 1080Ti.

If you are coming from p3d v3 and decide to upgrade to p3d v4...like I did...I doubled performance in most scenarios. To the point to where when my FPS drop back to my old mid 20s levels due to certain lighting and what not....it really feels like a huge performance degradation.

If you say that the 8700@5GHz after the upgrade has twice as much FPS (= if you define this as "performance") as the previous 2700@4.8GHz with the same 1080TI card, then there must have been something wrong with the old system. I would expect only a slight increase in FPS depending on the situation.

• Upvote 1

Regards,

Chris

--

13900K, Gigabyte Geforce RTX 4090, 32GB DDR5 RAM, Asus Rog Swift PG348Q G-SYNC 1440p monitor, Varjo Aero/Pico 4 VR