Jump to content

Sign in to follow this  
ahsmatt7

My i7-2700k to i7-8700k upgrade experience!

Recommended Posts

43 minutes ago, ashepherd316 said:

so how much better was the 8700k than the 2700k or did i miss that.

Doubled the performance for me in every situation except for dynamic lighting.


FAA: ATP-ME

Matt kubanda

Share this post


Link to post

Same here with from 3770k to an 8700k

Dynamic lighting does nothing 


 
 
 
 
v63vq9-5.png

Share this post


Link to post
46 minutes ago, ashepherd316 said:

so how much better was the 8700k than the 2700k or did i miss that.

OP changed too many variables (new sim etc as well) to make a valid comparison, but also no data was gathered from the 2700K prior to upgrade. So this thread doesn't really answer the question that most of us thinking of upgrading have, though I'm still perfectly happy to read the OPs subjective experiences.

I'm not sure that I've actually seen any direct frame rate comparisons from computer 'x' to 8700K, using Prepar3d 4.x? (please post some links if you have them, would be very useful). Comparisons from other games or software are close to useless unfotunately, given the nature of this software.


Rob

Sim rig: i9900K @ 5GHz, 2080 Ti. Flying P3D v5, X-plane 11, Aerofly FS2 and DCS in VR. 

xHQaMSP.jpg CYpqh7S.jpg

"There are three simple rules for making a smooth landing. Unfortunately, no one knows what they are."

Share this post


Link to post

For me after 4 flights of tweaking it's a lot smoother and I can put my settings up a bit more.  What kills the sim is dynamic lighting and high resolution clouds.  Another than that definitely better by quite a stretch 


 
 
 
 
v63vq9-5.png

Share this post


Link to post
1 hour ago, tooting said:

For me after 4 flights of tweaking it's a lot smoother and I can put my settings up a bit more.  What kills the sim is dynamic lighting and high resolution clouds.  Another than that definitely better by quite a stretch 

I eventually capped my frames at 45.

Also, are you using the texture size tweak? I fiddled with it at level 10. I don't know if I'll keep it though.

If LM can get the dynamic lighting under control, then this set up is perfect I think.


FAA: ATP-ME

Matt kubanda

Share this post


Link to post
Just now, bean_sprout said:

A 7700K runs faster than an 8700k in many cases.

Regards

bs

Just out of curiosity, in what cases...


FAA: ATP-ME

Matt kubanda

Share this post


Link to post
1 hour ago, ahsmatt7 said:

I eventually capped my frames at 45.

Also, are you using the texture size tweak? I fiddled with it at level 10. I don't know if I'll keep it though.

If LM can get the dynamic lighting under control, then this set up is perfect I think.

I'm using texture tweak yes, I agree my system is running amazingly 


 
 
 
 
v63vq9-5.png

Share this post


Link to post
52 minutes ago, tooting said:

I'm using texture tweak yes, I agree my system is running amazingly 

Good to hear Pete 


David Murden.  P3D v5  FSL A321 / A320 / A319 : PMDG NGu / 748PMDG NG / 747-/ 777 : QW 787 :  Maddog MD-80 :Q400 :

DCS: A10C Warthog : AV-8B Harrier :  F-14B Tomcat  : F-16C Viper F/A-18C Hornet 

My FSL Walkthrough PDF From GPU to Parked.      My PMDG NGXu Light Mod      My PMDG NG SpotLight Profile/Mod.  

PC 4790k@4.6 : 1070 : 16GB DDR3 RAM : Thrustmaster Warthog HOTAS: Thrustmaster TPR.

Share this post


Link to post
8 hours ago, OzWhitey said:

OP changed too many variables (new sim etc as well) to make a valid comparison, but also no data was gathered from the 2700K prior to upgrade. So this thread doesn't really answer the question that most of us thinking of upgrading have, though I'm still perfectly happy to read the OPs subjective experiences.

I'm not sure that I've actually seen any direct frame rate comparisons from computer 'x' to 8700K, using Prepar3d 4.x? (please post some links if you have them, would be very useful). Comparisons from other games or software are close to useless unfotunately, given the nature of this software.

Unless you see a way to run a 2700K in the same mobo as a 8700K I don't see an apples to apples comparison being possible


|Ryan Butterworth|

| i7 4790K@4.4GHz | 32GB RAM | EVGA GTX 1080Ti | ASUS Z97-Pro | 1TB 860 Evo | 500GB 840 Evo Win10 Pro | 1TB Samsung 7200rpm | Seasonic X750W |

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
3 hours ago, tooting said:

I'm using texture tweak yes, I agree my system is running amazingly 

Sorry for all the questions...

Have you noticed blocks of autogen popping up in the distance instead of a smooth transition.

For me, I noticed chunks of autogen populating in squares. I've never seen this before so I don't know how to fix it.


FAA: ATP-ME

Matt kubanda

Share this post


Link to post
21 minutes ago, ryanbatcund said:

Unless you see a way to run a 2700K in the same mobo as a 8700K I don't see an apples to apples comparison being possible

Agree with you 100 percent.

The whole point of this thread was to show that. This upgrade isn't an apples to apples comparison. I went from ddr2 to ddr4 ram.

Z77 chipset to z370 chipset.

All this because I switched from a 2700k to a 8700k.

I feel as if people are trying to do whatever they can to prove that it's a waste.

 

Thanks for telling some sense on this thread.

By the way, my comany is starting to habe overnight in Duluth again. Gotta have a meet and greet or something.

  • Upvote 1

FAA: ATP-ME

Matt kubanda

Share this post


Link to post

Yeah we're not getting our large runway back maybe for a while.  They were supposed to have 9/27 open Nov 1 - but the weather has been terrible and now it's basically Winter.  They don't think they'll be able to groove it and they need the weather 40+ for a while.  If it's left ungrooved for the winter braking action will be garbage!  So no precision approaches potentially until spring and plenty of crosswinds with Ry 3/21 - sounds great!


|Ryan Butterworth|

| i7 4790K@4.4GHz | 32GB RAM | EVGA GTX 1080Ti | ASUS Z97-Pro | 1TB 860 Evo | 500GB 840 Evo Win10 Pro | 1TB Samsung 7200rpm | Seasonic X750W |

 

 

Share this post


Link to post

i can't afford to upgrade to coffee lake, but i waiting my Kaby Lake package arrive, hoppefully worth upgrade from I7 2600K, my i7-2600k can't do much as i use 2nd MOBO to replace my faulty mobo that have lot feature for OC, gonna start fly again soon.


Muhamad Aliff
 

Share this post


Link to post
4 hours ago, ahsmatt7 said:

Agree with you 100 percent.

I feel as if people are trying to do whatever they can to prove that it's a waste.

Thanks for telling some sense on this thread.

 

 Correct. Don't worry so long as your happy it makes no difference.  3 weeks ago these experts where telling us it would overheat, which is completely untrue.  So long as it's working for you and you're seeing a noticeable difference (like I am) then stuff them. 


 
 
 
 
v63vq9-5.png

Share this post


Link to post

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
Sign in to follow this  
  • Tom Allensworth,
    Founder of AVSIM Online


  • Flight Simulation's Premier Resource!

    AVSIM is a free service to the flight simulation community. AVSIM is staffed completely by volunteers and all funds donated to AVSIM go directly back to supporting the community. Your donation here helps to pay our bandwidth costs, emergency funding, and other general costs that crop up from time to time. Thank you for your support!

    Click here for more information and to see all donations year to date.
  • Donation Goals

    AVSIM's 2020 Fundraising Goal

    Donate to our annual general fundraising goal. This donation keeps our doors open and providing you service 24 x 7 x 365. Your donation here helps to pay our bandwidth costs, emergency funding, and other general costs that crop up from time to time. We reset this goal every new year for the following year's goal.


    22%
    $5,540.00 of $25,000.00 Donate Now
×
×
  • Create New...